Guild advise from Jonas

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Zuzaxon

Guild advise from Jonas

Post by Zuzaxon »

I think that many of the new players (I'm new myself) would find it helpful to have some information about the various Guilds at Starbase-51.
There are 2 ways to go about this, one much easier than the other, Dev-wise.

The more newbie-friendly, but Dev-difficult way would be to have an emporium or office where via a listing of Guilds (and their logos, if they have them) could be clicked on and the Guild's recruitment pitch would be shown by an NPC, similar to any NPC mission. I understand that bandwidth is an issue here, so I can see not wanting to go with this. And, it also tend to duplicate work already done, essentially creating a new Guild Office on SB-51.

The second way would be to have Jonas recommend visiting the Guild Offices during a mission to Fieron. I think within the first 2-3 missions would be a good idea. By then, the new captain will have some experience in navigating, so it won't be to hard.

There would be several advantages to this, I think. First, not everyone is a big forum user. They may not look through all the areas, and therefore, miss a chance to meet a Guild that suits them. Second, not all Guilds have a posting in the forums (personal experience). Third, not all Guilds are very active in recruiting, for whatever reason.

Just my 2 cents.
Marcus

Re: Guild advise from Jonas

Post by Marcus »

First, welcome to the game, hope you are enjoying it.
Your idea for guild information is a good one, especially where most players don't check forums.
Most guilds are recruiting, as mine is, but it can be a tough area. Some players send welcome messages as soon as they see a new player enter game, this can be both good and bad. Good as it shows the player is noticed, bad because not every new player wants to be have a bunch of 'join us' messages when they are still trying to check the game.
I like the idea of maybe adding a guild piece to the player guide, since most players find this the best way to start the game.
If you are looking for a guild, feel free to check out Children of the Core. Also, if you have not tried game chat, i suggest you do so. Good people and lots of help available.
Again, welcome.
Marcus
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Hi there Zuzaxon,

An interesting thought. I guess as a Developer / Player I always considered guilds as something you'd take your time over and make your mind up after getting to understand some of the game. But I take on board that Guilds can also be a boon to new players.

I will see what we can do.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

I like this suggestion. Mailnly because there is no easy access to guild office. in many games you have tab "guild" (or alliance, or whatever) in visible place. Here you have to fly Fieron.
Strongwood

Post by Strongwood »

For me joining a guild wasn't super important when I first started playing, because I had been used to games where being in a guild or alliance meant that I was a way to help out the bigger and better players. This game is not the same. I was into to high 20s or low 30s as far as level when I joined my guild and I am glad I did join a guild eventually.
The other side is that some new players want to be involved in something like a guild early when they start a game, so I do like this idea.
Akkamaddi
CE Official Supporter

Post by Akkamaddi »

Yes, I think I was level 24 when I joined. I wasn't sure if I would stick on, so I didn't want to become inert driftwood in someone's guild.

And, I agree with Strongwood. The players help each other, but it really goes both ways. "You help me harvest this, I make you that."