Server News & 2014

This section covers latest updates and changes within the game. Posts here are made by the Developers and if you only read 1 Section - make it this one!
Coops
Site Admin

Server News & 2014

Post by Coops »

Server News
I thought I'd make an official post, although you will also see this in game from me to each player directly via a PM. But as not every one reads their PM's and not every one reads the forums I'm hoping this will catch you all in one way or another :)

We are very much aware that some of you are experiencing some major slowdowns whilst trying to play Core-Exiles. This began around the time we came back on-line after being wiped out by a Host power issues which took out (according to them) the drives in a set of server racks.

Since then we have been trying to get to the bottom of it, the data centre techs really are just blaming the whole issue on the time of year and data lines between all of you and them. We are not so convinced. Unfortunately as one small client with just a few servers in their data centre we have a small voice.

However all is not doom and gloom. We have been around for over Five years now in one shape or form and will be here for another five :)

New Server For 2014
As the current server is now 2 years old (even if they did replace the hard drive) we figured its time to move on to a new server. So we have leased another server, its a 12 Core Xeon with 32 Gb's of ram - SHINY!

This new server will easily see us through another few years. We are currently ensuring the server is suitable for use and ready for us to upload the game and all its support sub domains etc. Once this is complete we will then work out a time to make the change over.

There WILL be some down time between one server going off and the other DNS picking up the slack and being made active. This can't be helped but will likely only be 24-48 hours worst case. Last time we did this it was a few hours and we were back in business.

So I ask, hang in there - wait it out, CE isn't going anywhere and with your support we will go on into 2014 and make CE even better.

Your Support
Lastly, we do NEED your support. This time of year is hard on most pockets but with a new server and the upkeep of the current two existing servers comes increased costs. Servers, Art, advertising, licensing and a myriad of other real life things don't pay for themselves. So I implore you (yup that's Coops on his knees) if you can afford some support this time of year please give it. This December has been the worst on record for support and its come at a time when we need it most.

Here's looking FORWARD to 2014 and hopefully a great year for CE.

Coops, Dec 29, 2013

P.S if you don't yet have your Rudolf or Donner & Blitzen you only have a few more days left before they once again head off!
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!