Have Your Say...

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
Coops
Site Admin

Have Your Say...

Post by Coops »

I am juggling a dozen different things atm, besides my daughter on one arm fast asleep :) I've been working on a new layout view for when we release Battleships (as you guys will be flying these things and in control of their loadouts) though they have a MUCH larger loadout screen lol. But this got me to thinking...

I've also been processing all those thousands of new image that MJ and I created. These will replace the ageing images of your ships' loadout. This one is a work of love (or madness, depending on your POV).

But the two projects made me stop and ponder an option... Normally I'd throw this one at the staff, let them tell me I'm mad and then continue in a new direction. But I figured I'd throw this one open....

So....

The current Ships Loadout has been 10 slots since the day we created it over 14 years ago.

2 Weapons (unlinked)
3 Systems
2 Energy
1 Expander
1 Shield
and the last given over to depict your engine.

but what if....

We slipped in two new slots... Width wise they fit and take up the slack on the screen with 5 wide. So extending to six looks fine. Now the mind boggles at what we could do...

For instance - what about four system slots and three reactor slots ? Whilst we are at it remove the old 'same item non-fit rule' (it made sense the first year when we had 50 items in game LOL) Now its just an impediment to new players and slightly confusing.

Or what about two shield slots or two expander slots... (that one may take some coding, as the game has some strict coding around the use of those.

Finally, what about 2 NEW slot types.... This last one was actually why I decided to open this post to all players.

CE is 14 years old and has had Weapons, System, Energy, Expanders and shields since day one. What about a new typer of items ? You have often seen over the horizon and spotted new ideas (as shown in the recent suggestions thread) So I thought I'd throw this one open to all.

Here's a mock-up of a new loadout with 2 extra slots added. As I said above, we can move the slots based on what players think, but for this example I just added them 'in to' the loadout. The image is a mock-up using news artwork, so it's not perfect but gets the idea across.

I'm also open to possible side effects players can see by the afore mentioned idea of removing LOCKS on same item fitting for Reactors and systems? There are going to be side effects (terrible ones) I've not considered yet, so feel free to throw them at me.

loadout.jpg
loadout.jpg (305.49 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
Have re-read though the content of my post, then have a think and lets get our thinking caps on....!

Times could be 'a changing' :)

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Fitzbacon

Re: Have Your Say...

Post by Fitzbacon »

A blank slate. A great idea. Once again thanks are in order.

This ‘addition’ to be equitable for all players must be one that give low level players a chance to compete and higher level players with incentives to attempt a new career or occupation.

I remember being in the upper teens and low twenties and found that I was restricted by two things:

1. The capacity to haul cargo in sufficient quantities to make the time/credit ratio an attractive option.
2. Having enough excess power available to equip all the equipment that I would like to have.

As ones level increases that requirement does not seem to dissipate; indeed the need increases as one begins to branch out into a truly Multi Tasking player. Ships with a larger base cargo capacity lack the facility to be effective in combat. Whilst those who are effective in combat are restricted generally with the amount of cargo capacity.

Therefore I propose the following for the ‘extra’ two load-out slots:

1. Third Power Unit

2. Second Cargo Expansion slot. This slot can be used for either Cargo Expander or Passenger Module.

Notes:
1. Duplicate power units should be allowed except in the case of those giving secondary statistics as is the case of Tesla Units.

2. Cargo expanders cannot be mixed and matched. Cannot equip one regular and one Naristro. Can equip 2 regular, or 2 Naristro or 1 regular and Passenger module (Naristro or Human) or 1 Naristro and Passenger Module (Naristro or Human).

3. Passenger module can be a regular Module or Shadowforge Line.

Thank you

Fitz.
Hand Solo
CE Official Supporter

Post by Hand Solo »

Great idea.
How about having the 2 new slots as 'miscellaneous' in that you can put whatever you like into them.
Hand Solo
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

Post by Sukayo »

Would be great. And as it is a Battleship It would be good to have a weapon slot more, and a system slot.
skyhawk
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Post by skyhawk »

how about ship utilities, like sick bay, transporter, life support, holo deck. that would allow for new equip.
Porrima

Post by Porrima »

I frequently swap out items in my System Slots so another one of those would be helpful. I second the idea of a second expander slot to at least accommodate a passenger unit.

Not knowing how exploring will go in the new galaxy, but perhaps a slot dedicated to device to aid this effort would be helpful.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Sukayo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:41 pm Would be great. And as it is a Battleship It would be good to have a weapon slot more, and a system slot.
Just to be clear this post relates to YOUR ship and not the battleships, they will have a totally different loadout system when released.

Keep the thoughts and posts coming folks....

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

Post by Sukayo »

thanks for the explanations, so cargo expander and passenger cabines? Would be great, and when it is so one more reactor is possible what is needed.
Lutes
CE Official Supporter
Location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK (from Belfast originally)

Post by Lutes »

As a haulage expert I definitely would love an extra expander slot and possibly an additional shield slot for use against those real nasty big ships that are heavy duty to try to kill in certain combat missions.

Great idea to add these additional two slots.

Cheers
Lutes
MarcSp

Post by MarcSp »

I'd support a second expander slot, I would like to haul passengers more often but the loss of cargo space is painful.