Research Academy- results and discussion (edited)

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

Research Academy- results and discussion (edited)

Post by Sukayo »

After getting this result: "During the project improvement process we were able to increase the Alien skill bonus from this Cargo Expander by 30 points." i started to think what brings it me.
Absolutely useless:
  • - i cannot reset alien skills, and had before the needed to use it.
    - i cannot sell it, is bound to my account
To get a use for that bonus i need to research before i plan to use the item and invest in alien skills.

So users of high level alien equipment - 1st purchase, then research, after that check and invest/do not invest IPs in the needed amount.

Any opinions?
pikolinianita

Re: Research Academy- not so good result

Post by pikolinianita »

But is it lowering skill requirements (plasma weapon for weapons) or icrease skill bonus (Alien drones in case of weapons)?
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

Post by Sukayo »

i have not enough Talas/crystals to test it.
aRJay
CE Official Supporter

Post by aRJay »

This is what I got from RAing my Alien Cargo Expander.

This Cargo Expander system is the end product of a Research Academy Project. It was reverse engineered during the process hence its new appearance. During the project improvement process we were able to increase the Alien skill bonus from this Cargo Expander by 25 points.

It can, if you so wish, be traded in to the Research Academy for a partial Research Academy Point refund.

Please Note: this item has no resale value and is account bound.

Cargo Capacity Increase: +325
Captain Level: 76
Alien Tech Skill: 720
Alien Cargo Technology Certification Req: Level 1
Alien Industry Skill Boost: +50

So like Sukayo the boost to my as yet unrequired Alien Industry Skill Boost has increased. As these effect are heavily influenced by random I will probably recycle the upgrade and try again in the hope of getting an energy reduction.
Lvl 114: Settlement Diaspar (L6): Guild Intelliquest

"For scientific leadership, Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton."
Shinter
Retired Staff

Post by Shinter »

aRJay wrote:So like Sukayo the boost to my as yet unrequired Alien Industry Skill Boost has increased. As these effect are heavily influenced by random I will probably recycle the upgrade and try again in the hope of getting an energy reduction.
Just to point out, in case it isn't clear - when recycling the equipment, you aren't just recycling the "upgrade", so you can try again, but rather recycling the entire device. To upgrade again, you would need to buy a new Cargo Expander as well, then trying your hand at upgrading it.
aRJay
CE Official Supporter

Post by aRJay »

Shinter wrote:
aRJay wrote:So like Sukayo the boost to my as yet unrequired Alien Industry Skill Boost has increased. As these effect are heavily influenced by random I will probably recycle the upgrade and try again in the hope of getting an energy reduction.
Just to point out, in case it isn't clear - when recycling the equipment, you aren't just recycling the "upgrade", so you can try again, but rather recycling the entire device. To upgrade again, you would need to buy a new Cargo Expander as well, then trying your hand at upgrading it.
I wasn't clear about that so after my post I chickened out and started upgrading something cheaper to experiment on.

"For scientific leadership, Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton."
Pablem
CE Official Supporter

Post by Pablem »

That's the problem with those Ivory Tower-based researchers. They are much more interested in what can be done than in whether the end result is something anyone would want. That is more in the fields of engineering and marketing.

As captains, we don't care about testing theories, we live in the real world and would prefer known results as opposed to gambling on the results. This device sounds like it takes the Uncertainty Principle to the extreme, which is what the early docs suggested.

But what do you expect from someplace called the Research Academy? Look what happened to that research station in Hexham... Bleeding edge toys and getting cut go together.
Shipbuilder Pablem Chief Entrepreneur, Citrus Enterprises
HQ located at Citrus Pass, Tig
Career Crafter
aRJay
CE Official Supporter

Post by aRJay »

aRJay wrote:
Shinter wrote:
I wasn't clear about that so after my post I chickened out and started upgrading something cheaper to experiment on.
I am slow, but occasionally I get there. :oops:

If we could just recycle the upgrade we could just keep doing that until random gave us what we wanted which would be an exploit.

pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

Not so so, as rececycle has 30% efficincy (or 33%, I'm far from facility :( ). so you have to invest a lot of crystals to apply this strategy.
Delandra
CE Official Supporter

Post by Delandra »

i got..

Chronos System MK 3 RA3. 15% energy reduction.
Blake Cargo Cube Rev 2 RA-31 15% energy reduction.
Valiant Hunter MK3 RA44. 5% damage boost.

so i'mvery happy with this test :)

Del