Competition to design a competition

Check out the regular competitions section. We always have something on the go. Old hand or New Player, don't miss out on winning a prize!
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Re: Competition to design a competition

Post by jcheung »

Rexx Shredd wrote:Competition for one lucky winner to buff my toenails?
with a chainsaw
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

Competition:

Enter main site, most right side , under "CE OFFICIAL LINKS" section. There is "Core-Exiles Screen Shots"

Competition is: make a better version of it :)
Lord Orion

Post by Lord Orion »

Hmm,

Some hypothesis:

1 - A global competition like the one that was made recently were all players had to contribute to fill the quotas of FOM, Combat, Aliens, and so.
Pro: It promotes cooperation and since the prizes are for every player that participates, no matter how much, you are not favoring players by their level or stats. Since it was done previously I'm supposing it is not hard to do again.
Cons: Every player gets the same so you are not rewarding commitment. Also, if players do not reach every quota you will still end up with some prizes for later.

2 - Random draw like the one given items in the festive competitions. The random draw can give the prizes, items that can be traded by prizes (individually or in groups) or items that give you a chance in one or more final draws.
You can add some twists:
- Advertise in the news what needs to be done to get the next random item (combat, wesbec, go to a place, craft, etc).
- Instead of the news you can use a post in the forum. Posts are done at defined hours or just any time, first replies get the prize.
Pro: The more players play the more chances they have. The base of the competition was also done before so I'm supposing it is not hard to do again.
Cons: Players with more fuel (savings, better engine, etc) have more chances if it is a play to win. Can be a little reduced if some items are given totally randomly either by being active, or doing some actions that have low cost (being at some place for instance).
Don't know how hard is to program the "twists".

3 - Cooperation between players. For instance, moving a cargo from a place to another, but with some rules:
a) - A cargo is made of several items and has several stops
b) - Each player can make only one travel from one stop to another, but he can carry as many items as he likes
c) - Prizes will be given to all players that contributed equally, independently of how many items he carried in his voyage.
It was defined for cargo, but it can be defined for combat as ships to be destroyed .
Pro: Huge on collaboration. Players need to use chat, msg or foruns to organize the delivery. Players with large cargo space get same prize as players that cannot yet afford large cargo space, but for some items large cargo space may be needed.
It can really be a fun thing to read in chat/forum when players are talking about the task.
Cons: Don't know how hard is to put this together in the game. I suppose it can be done "by hand", but may not be easy.
The combat option may be even harder to keep track.

4 - A post is made with a question. Different clues are randomly given to players (like the msgs we receive when we get a festive item, but with the clue in the text). Players may need to do something to complete the clue or ask someone (like check something in the image of the promenade in a specific system).
First players to post in the forum each different clue, after completing it, win the prize as long as the final answer is also given by anyone.
Pro: Is collaborative. Random delivery of msgs and modification of images in the promenade was done in previous events, so I'm supposing it is not hard to do again. If the tasks are not to hard everyone has the same chance has long as he is playing the game.
Cons: Players may be playing and being constantly slower then others ie prizes may go all to the same player (limit? each player can only win once per day?). One type of clue may be given only to players that are not playing (msgs only be sent to players online? ).
Although it has be done in previous events the msgs and images did not change during the event and changing it may not be easy.
Actually the images don't need to change and can even be the ones that are already there (can be something like "The image as the color blue?"), the msgs however need to change to give the chance for different players to play.

And we could go on, but for now I leave it like this and will wait for some feedback to see if any of this makes any sense :$
Lord Orion

Post by Lord Orion »

Another idea, a little more meta:

Instead of being about making things in the game, would be about making things to the game.
Some hypothesis:

1 - Tutorials - Can be short tutorials, about topics that can help other players, can be text only but some images would help. Evaluated on how useful they are: importance, originality (can be remakes of previous tutorials but must add something like making it up to date, or even simple tutorials that group what already exist in a easy to understand global picture).

2 - Questions - Since it is hard for new players to do tutorials they can focus on something else, feedback. Same idea, short texts and images on things that are being hard to them to understand. Evaluated on how relevant they are, including if they are or not in wiki, faq, foruns and so (or if they are but somehow they are hard to find).

3 - Images - Maybe images for the game may be a problem (making sure they are not taken from somewhere else and so) but maybe even screenshots of what already is there with some text and mark, like a one image tutorial. Can also be nice to see what screenshots players think that better represent the game.

You can decide to have some different categories and give the prizes to the best of each category.
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Post by jcheung »

My apologies, been very busy at work. Competition is still on, but I'd like to see more options.
XPLODE

Post by XPLODE »

The option for me to steal it all muhuhahaha.
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Post by jcheung »

i'd like to see you try.
1 Cor 134

Post by 1 Cor 134 »

This isn't an in-game competition suggestion, but that makes it completely fair to all players since it's not based off of their in-game assets or capabilities.

Competition: Best Captain Backstory
Details: Write a backstory for your Captain and ship. Prizes will be awarded for the following categories:

Creativity
Humor
Sci-Fi Awesomeness (I don't know)
etc.

Judges can either be a panel or you could do a community vote on the forums (or in-game if possible).

If you want to, you could post it in-game via an e-mail for everyone to read, or if it becomes popular enough, you could hire the player (with certificates or something) to print a quarterly\monthly\something "journal\newsletter" which people can read.
1 Cor 134

Post by 1 Cor 134 »

Maybe a competition to take a picture of playing core-exiles at the most interesting locations? Completely fair to every player level and could be fun.
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

1 Cor 134 wrote:Maybe a competition to take a picture of playing core-exiles at the most interesting locations? Completely fair to every player level and could be fun.
Isn't there one already? It is any location now, but you can be creative :P