Repairing

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
SpaceBucks

Repairing

Post by SpaceBucks »

Thanks to one and all for sounding-off on some of my other suggestions.

When you are a new player, some things just seem weird when you see them the first [second and third] time. This of course causes: "frustration plus wasted time equals little fun." I, like everyone else am just looking to enjoy the game as much as possible and have fun.

I do have another point. I have just learned about salvage items and their yield. Formerly, I was wasting a ton of time searching for a way to REPAIR salvage items that seemed to be mostly intact by their description (I.e. dented food container, cracked rail gun, etc..) It seemed intuitive to fix stuff that breaks out in space rather than just "junk it" for scrap.

Since we have CRAFTING as a job/side job. What do folks think of REAPAIRING or TINKERING as a job that could result in people's salvage possibly becoming a useable item again. So in essence a dented, damaged or cracked item could become a: jury-rigged, repaired, reconditioned, like-new, or better-than-new item.

It might prove to be fun, because you would not be quite sure how the repair would finally end up. Plus, during extensive use and during hard combat, items could be damaged and lose efficiency or even stop working entirely until they are repaired [or replaced] again.

I understand that many people may not like this idea, but it may add some spice to the current system. As long as it is not a common occurrence.
Folks under level 20 or so could be exempt in order to not to cause too much in-game duress.

This could end up being similar to a CRAFTER being a car manufacturing engineer and the REPAIRER or TINKERER being the auto mechanic.

I am sure COOPS would put something like this on the far back-burner, but in the future it could be interesting if it could be implimented.

Happy flying to all!
aRJay
CE Official Supporter

Re: Repairing

Post by aRJay »

I like the sound of this idea, and there are all those Poorly Repaired and Jury Rigged weapons out there that must have come from somewhere. I see it as an adjunct to the Crafter/Jineer role with any faction XP heading that way.

It doesn't sound like something even Coops could do in just a couple of clicks so I think you are right about it going to the back burner.
Lvl 114: Settlement Diaspar (L6): Guild Intelliquest

"For scientific leadership, Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton."
Holiday
CE Official Supporter

Post by Holiday »

If my memory doesn't fail me, I'm pretty sure there has been something like this brought up in the past. I don't remember the outcome of the discussion, accept that salvage has stayed the same. I do like the idea but also realize that there probably wasn't fforethought in naming the salvage/junk in game. for example what use would you have for a repaired food storage container? I suppose it could be traded into sven for more then the points you would get for the broken item, but it would have to be worth it to repair it.

I do like the idea, but I also like the way it is where you have the ability to cut down junk for useable resources. either by waiting until you can get to 100% yourself, or trading it to someone else to do the recycling for you.
Holiday
Founder of Tombstone in Tornsul
proprietor of The VP Mercantile
almost allways mostly sober...sometimes
SpaceBucks

Post by SpaceBucks »

Thanks for the input!
Being new, it is impossible to know what was brought up before.
I was only speaking from an intuitive point of view, but it does look like others have been thinking the same way.
It is always good not to be the "odd man out."
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

Maybe only certain items could be "repairable", e.g. a "cracked railgun" could be repaired, but a "dented food container" could only be broken down into (some) useable resources.
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.