Rare Ore refinery income

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
aRJay
CE Official Supporter

Re: Rare Ore refinery income

Post by aRJay »

I agree with the time limit idea with an installation fee and a facility to kick the refinery off, basically the same mechanics as the Gleso.
Lvl 114: Settlement Diaspar (L6): Guild Intelliquest

"For scientific leadership, Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton."
Elkhorn
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Post by Elkhorn »

While I might agree with the time limit, I don't think a boot button is a good idea. There is the opportunity for abuse, say a settlement owner gets miffed at someone and gives him the boot..the booted player then says the game sucks..negative press is not a good thing, especially for a game that is always on the edge of financing. A reasonable 3 or 5 month "lease" that expires just like a commercial contract. The refinery captain would be given the 10 day countdown to renew the contract with the settlement owner.
Rule of Acquisition #1 Once you have their money...never give it back!
fjiekie
CE Official Supporter

Post by fjiekie »

then the ORSA building might need some work aswell since that has no income.

i might live with that fact IF sett ORSA would get rare resources of even exclusive resources to extract which would give a boost to visitors. (and then i would hope they take some wesbec :p ) but at the moment it is just a huge moneysink with NO income.
(not that i complain too much, but extra income is always helpfull for the next insanely huge project coops comes up with)
lvl 175 hauler
Fang-agent -- nemesis of the Shredd
Senior-worshipper of Coops and staff
Oryuken

Post by Oryuken »

I think something like the Gleso system is reasonable and fair.
Red Dragon Enterprises
Akairyu Dome, Palalon, Sphere: Home of Lady Mariko's House of 1000 Pleasures
Ginryu Dome, Hammer, The Forge: Home of Red Dragon Tours
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

fjiekie wrote:then the ORSA building might need some work aswell since that has no income.

i might live with that fact IF sett ORSA would get rare resources of even exclusive resources to extract which would give a boost to visitors. (and then i would hope they take some wesbec :p ) but at the moment it is just a huge moneysink with NO income.
(not that i complain too much, but extra income is always helpfull for the next insanely huge project coops comes up with)
Actually, the ORSA building already produces "income" - the resources. Granted, you don't get any credits for it, no matter how many people set down extractors, but all you have to do to see some kind of return for your investment is to set down a couple extractors yourself.

I think the best argument for adding some (small!) income to the Rare Ore Refinery is that all similar buildings (Gleso, ORSA, mall) DO provide some income in one way or another. It's not much, but since all these buildings are very similar, they should be treated in a similar way, too.

And nobody is suggesting to turn the Refinery into a cash cow - the idea is simply to add a little something to it to make it "feel right".
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.
Zoorland

Post by Zoorland »

Aye, I could definitely get behind a time limit... actually never realized there wasn't one. >_> And there really should be, just to clear out inactivity.

But... really, to me, it's no different than Gleso - you host it for the utility, this isn't the sort of building you put down expecting a profit. :/
Slurmewerds
CE Official Supporter

Post by Slurmewerds »

Darakhoranon wrote:

Actually, the ORSA building already produces "income" - the resources. Granted, you don't get any credits for it, no matter how many people set down extractors, but all you have to do to see some kind of return for your investment is to set down a couple extractors yourself.
The same could be said for the RO refinery too but since all three buildings cost so much, require a ton of energy which make a power upgrade required too, and are not removable once they are added hamstringing the owner so that they're limited to what else they can add, that actually makes money or resources. Especially if/when level 7 comes along and there's more elements added. Not just because someone has a billion credits with nothing else to do with it. Unless owning the property grants the owner a free slot to use, structure point free. After all they are the owners of said buildings.
Sparky
CE Official Supporter

Post by Sparky »

I believe that some kind of reward would be good please.
Would just be about achieving the right balance.
If at first you don't find a mission ore, try and try again :)
SpaceBucks

Post by SpaceBucks »

I agree that it is gravely unfair that a building that costs upward of 100-million credits and has an unreasonable energy cost should have the ability to generate enough income to potentially bring in income to the owner of the settlement. If not, no one will place them in the future.
There should be a fair way to make both sides (settlement owner and refiner) happy in this endeavor.

Based on the way the rare ore refinery system currently works, as slurmwerds stated, I cannot see anyone else every participating in a rare ore refinery, which would be a big waste in all the time and energy that Coops put in to create the system.

Yes, Coops, a minor revamp should be in order, but please remember that not everyone will be participating in rare ore refining, so profits to the settlement owner would be better served in a kick-back scheme to the settlement owner in order to not scare away refiners. Most players hate mining and refining, so the few folks doing the work should not be penalized too harshly. After all, all businesses are in the business of making a profit.

I hope this helps towards fairness to all involved.

Thank you for your attention, Coops -- SpaceBucks
Zuzaxon

Post by Zuzaxon »

I, too, agree with Pablem. A time limit and owner-set pricing is the fairest of worlds.
And I have to respectfully disagree with alumoi. When he stated, "Think of it as your house. Do you tax your friends/relatives when using your garage for their DIY projects?", he didn't take into consideration that there are also strangers there. Would you allow strangers to use your garage for such purposes without compensation, nor a time limit? If so, I have a boat I'd like to build....
Owner-set pricing would allow a healthy competition amongst the sett owners, and allow younger players with, perhaps, limited resources, to venture into a new aspect of CE. And for those who have friends or family using the slots, one could always refund part or all of the fee.