Food Stuffs and factories

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
SpaceBucks

Food Stuffs and factories

Post by SpaceBucks »

I have only been playing a month, but I am hooked on being an Exile.
Extracting is fun, but I intend on setting up a factory when I get "bigger." I did notice some issues in the extraction of flora, and of food stuffs that are made.

First off, there should not be a difference in flora between planets. If a seed is exceptional, it is always taken, culture and used elsewhere. An example is triticale wheat (yes the same quadrotriticale as mentioned in Star Trek.) It was developed as a hybrid of wheat and rye, giving it the benefits of both. Now the second generation seeds are sown the world over. When we go into space, it will undoubtedly be among the first seeds brought with us. Any good seed it hybridized and used everywhere, so there is not better planet for say just rice. Maybe a planet would yield more because of environment conditions and soil, but all plants would grow well, not just rice over corn, since they require the same conditions to thrive.

Also, how about making clearer topics of flora, by creating the FLORA/FAUNA extractor. Being able to extract: FRESH PRODUCE (a catch-all for: honey, nuts, herbs, greens, potatoes, fruits and vegetables), GRAINS/CEREALS (a catch-all for oats, rye, wheat, rice soybeans, and corn), LIVESTOCK (a catch-all for insects, lizards, fish, foul and white & red meats.)

Then the Foods factories can produce:

LEATHERS (instead of pelts) as well as FRESH MEAT out of LIVESTOCK, WATER, and BIO ENZYMES or REFINED CHEMICALS;

BREWS out of GRAINS/CEREALS, WATER, and BIO ENZYMES or REFINED CHEMICALS;

WINES out of FRESH PRODUCE, WATER, and BIO ENZYMES or REFINED CHEMICALS;

LIQUORS (instead of alcoholic beverages) out of FRESH PRODUCE, GRAINS/CEREALS, WATER, and BIO ENZYMES or REFINED CHEMICALS.

Then, planets could be picked to have better output instead of having a different food stuff (i.e. corn versus say corn (Elista.)

I am hoping everyone else feels that this would make the game more realistic and intuitive. I cannot believe I am the only one that thinks that making wine from oats is not a bit strange. Plus, if you can grow corn, you can raise livestock. This would also create another for leathers in the game.

Please sound off one and all, since most of you are long time veterans of the game!
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Re: Food Stuffs and factories

Post by Darakhoranon »

1. I don't think "realism" is what we should try to increase. "More fun" is a much better goal. ;)

2. The fact that you need specific variants of resources (for some quests/schematics) is a good thing in my eyes, since it requires you to actually go to certain planets (or buy from someone who does). It also adds some variance, which is another good thing.
I agree, however, that it can be rather annoying to see someone "hog" all the Corn (Elista)-sources (as an example). But that's life.

3. Even assuming that all the planets where we can dock are "earth type" (quite a stretch, even with large scale terraforming), I think it's safe to say that there still are some differences in climate, soil, etc. Which makes the whole "one grain to rule them all"-argument questionable in the first place. So even if we decided to go for realism (in a space game...), I don't think it would work, at least without just as much suspension of disbelief Wine from Oats requires...
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.
Pablem
CE Official Supporter

Post by Pablem »

Reading some of the NPC missions and resource details you learn that certain environmental elements present on specific worlds have tweaked the composition or resilience of certain products grown there. Those bacterial agents cannot be introduced to other worlds without risking an environmental catastrophe. Therefore there are planet-specific variants of these resources.

Too much of the economy is dependent on the way this works. It may well force CE into a game-restart situation to remove resources from the game and rework all of the missions, factories, and schematics that would be affected. Adding new resources is possible and has been done, but then the challenge is finding purpose for all the new line of resources.
Shipbuilder Pablem Chief Entrepreneur, Citrus Enterprises
HQ located at Citrus Pass, Tig
Career Crafter
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Interesting suggestion Spacebucks. Not every suggestion is going to make it through the player grist mill but many do. Keep on with the new face, new ideas approach.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
SpaceBucks

Post by SpaceBucks »

No worries. I know that once you get used to something you do not want it to change.

It was obvious that this would be a big development project, and everyone does see that it would be a big change.
At least it has been food for thought.
5hortpants
CE Official Supporter

Post by 5hortpants »

SpaceBucks wrote:No worries. I know that once you get used to something you do not want it to change.

It was obvious that this would be a big development project, and everyone does see that it would be a big change.
At least it has been food for thought.
HA HA!! "Food for thought," perfect flora pun!

Nice one, 'Bucks!