Salvage Reduction Pod

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Slurmewerds
CE Official Supporter

Salvage Reduction Pod

Post by Slurmewerds »

After scouring the suggestions and seeing nothing like this I figured I would post it. Since there are 24 possible sections of ships to salvage (12 regular, 12 alien), and getting to level 30 in ONE of these sections is virtually impossible, how about a line of pods that decreases the amount of "xp" or resources salvaged to get to the next level while the pod is installed. Maybe starting at 5% for 3 pod points, 10% for 5 pp, 15% for 8 pp and 20% for 10 pp. And when the pod is removed the bonuses go away. Or you can even have 2 sets like the salvage discriminators.
AND/OR there could be a usable item that once used, lasts an hour and automatically bumps the user up X amount of level(s) which in reality would have a number of uses. Such as a captain REALLY needing a resource that is just one level away but still short 100,000 resources to get to the next level or just wanting to see what is unlocked at the next level or two, or three or even up to 5 levels away to see if they want to spend the vast amounts of time and fuel to obtain those levels or if there is another section they would rather salvage instead. For those of us who enjoy salvaging, it can use a LOT of time and fuel and especially when salvaging in the expanse or getting higher up in levels for each section it can help us make better informed decisions about where we want to spend our time and energy/fuel instead of blindly salvaging and hoping for the best at the next level. There are 720 levels of salvage total and who knows how many tens of millions (hundreds of millions possibly, billions?) resources required to reach those upper levels and there hasn't been any changes to salvaging other than the discriminators(which didn't excite me) since I started playing. Time to throw us a bone. Or two ;)
pikolinianita

Re: Salvage Reduction Pod

Post by pikolinianita »

I quite dont understand your idea.
Assume I've just unlocked lvl 10 in one area. I Equip your pod. What happen?

PS. Discriminators should excite you :) quite useful, if you work in Expanse,
Pablem
CE Official Supporter

Post by Pablem »

pikolinianita wrote:I quite dont understand your idea.
it sounds like an XP Booster just for improving your salvaging.
Shipbuilder Pablem Chief Entrepreneur, Citrus Enterprises
HQ located at Citrus Pass, Tig
Career Crafter
Slurmewerds
CE Official Supporter

Post by Slurmewerds »

Ok say you reached level 10, and say you need 300,000 to reach level 11 and you just bought a pod that reduces the requirement by 20%. Then you'll only need 260,000 to reach level 11 but if you reach the 260,000 requirement and get to 11 but unequip the pod it removes the bonus and your back to needing 300k.
And the xp booster would increase entire levels for an hour while the booster is active so a captain can see what is at level 11, or 12,13,14 so they know what is unlocked at those levels and can decide if they want to spend the 50,000-100,000 fuel to get to those levels or would rather salvage another ship section .
Pablem
CE Official Supporter

Post by Pablem »

ok, I see what you want to accomplish now. It doesn't seem to match any of the mechanics of existing equipment.
Of course salvaging is its own thing, but mechanics-wise it is most similar to mining except that your salvage experience is used to determine your loot list instead of your scan rating.

So this pod/booster thing would increase your effective collected experience. I don't know how that will work inside the code. That's why I suggested a booster which would increase the amount of salvaging experience you get while salvaging, but do so permanently.

Of course that would be redundant if the existing experience boosters already do that. I've never tracked one while salvaging to see if the effect is there.
Shipbuilder Pablem Chief Entrepreneur, Citrus Enterprises
HQ located at Citrus Pass, Tig
Career Crafter
Shinter
Retired Staff

Post by Shinter »

Pablem wrote:Of course that would be redundant if the existing experience boosters already do that. I've never tracked one while salvaging to see if the effect is there.
The current XP boosters do work with salvaging. With a 30% booster, if you pick up 10 resources, you get 13 XP, for instance. I used this quite a bit when I was trying to level up my standard salvaging to help with Ship Yard Salvage levels. Of course, for Expanse salvaging this is in many ways the worst thing you can do, but at the very least the system is in place at some level already.

I'll also add that the current design of Salvaging is designed around these ever-increasing XP levels, and I would be surprised if anything was added to bypass that in a way such as this (much like the requests for making more SRP in settlements). Just my thoughts as a player though ;)