Aestroid Collision (Miners version of raid)

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Akkamaddi
CE Official Supporter

Re: Aestroid Collision (Miners version of raid)

Post by Akkamaddi »

pikolinianita wrote: However temporary increase docking price would be nice :)
I actually had that same thought.... Increase docking cost to x10 on day 0, then decrease the multiplier by one per day. The settlement owner can make repairs to rapidly reduce or eliminate the damage.

I also like "This promenade closed for repairs for [4-24] hours. Thank you for your patience. Would you like to make a contribution to facilitate repairs?"
lastcrusade

Post by lastcrusade »

First off,in reply to moonblade, Rama is my HQ with my millions of resources in the commercial storage and i do frequent use the factory slots and other facilities. Thanks a lot for providing such a great settlement

To all those enraged by my suggestion, I apologies for the poor idea about temporary inaccessibility to settlements. Initially (the original first post), i was thinking of the asteroids/wrecks only hitting promenades (NPC owned settlement). The idea is that a significant aftermath is used as a pushed factor to force players to work together in order to remove the asteroids and wrecks. That is apart from the resources that can be extracted which will likely not be very profitable. I guess it was a poor idea to shift the idea to include player owned settlements, judging from the strong opposition.

Thanks for enlightening me on the pains of running and getting a settlement! Well, im really nowwhere them. Thanks :)
Akkamaddi
CE Official Supporter

Post by Akkamaddi »

Given there are four pages of discussion, I don't think you should give up on the idea. :-)

Things can be re-tooled many different ways.
lastcrusade

Post by lastcrusade »

Akkamaddi wrote:Given there are four pages of discussion, I don't think you should give up on the idea. :-)

Things can be re-tooled many different ways.
Hi Akkamaddi thanks for the support! Its not about the whole idea! I think most people is fine with the raid style asteroid and wrecks. The problem is the crashing into settlement part, what will be a acceptable yet encouraging impact? More to ponder about :D
Hunbaba

Post by Hunbaba »

A better way to recover from impact as suggested. If you want to include disaster relief packs, Medical 1 is an interesting example. It takes 23 Cure-all, so if you only include 100 of each type of relief pack, Medical 1 alone at current market prices (or rather GBM wishful prices) would amount to 60 mil... not to mention it will drive demand even higher. No sane settlement owner will go with that. It is like someone would suggest weekly ship maintenance packs that would require Rhodenon.
Zoorland

Post by Zoorland »

We miners simply have to make sure they never hit a settlement and there's no problem. :p But I have to agree, any significant impact on a settlement's operation would not be welcomed.

I do like pika's suggestion of the rogue comet (we can have rouge comets, too, for Rexx). In this case we'd want a short timer, maybe a day or three days tops, and the challenge would be in simply mining anything out of it before it vanished.

In either case, whether threatening NPC locations, player settlements, or no one at all, these are not events that I would want to have running constantly. Not like RAIDs or even Alien Derelicts which are always around but rather limited events that only happen once or maybe twice a month (assuming time limits of 1 week or less on each event) - and certainly not more than one at a time except as special, very rare challenges.

With RAIDs or Alien Derelicts, there's little immediate pressure to deal with them. That's a good thing. Sure, RAIDs can grow large and potentially threatening over time, but people are able to just play and have time to organize against them. If these mining events are going to be timed... especially with a negative effect should we fail to clear them quickly enough... that is a significant impetus on people to change their play style. It goes from a fun activity you can tackle with friends to an obligation you constantly have to deal with and design your schedule around. That's fine if it only takes up a few of your days a month, but if it's constantly there requiring action from you it very quickly loses its charm.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

/me still watching, reading and making notes.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
lastcrusade

Post by lastcrusade »

Hmm...how about for the repairs we will have GBM style collection but at Joes prices at the promenade? The resources can be common resources like iron ore, copper ore, steel and those basic resources. I think this creates more incentive for people to mine those basic resources or extract them.

I cant help but agree with Zoorland, that those asteroids/wrecks should not be a common activity and once or twice a month seems suitable ;)
Akkamaddi
CE Official Supporter

Post by Akkamaddi »

lastcrusade wrote:I cant help but agree with Zoorland, that those asteroids/wrecks should not be a common activity and once or twice a month seems suitable ;)
Agree. Anything causing significant damage should be rare, and anything that's a potential flying candy jar should be rare.

However, the occasional spike in activity *could* be a good story plot:

- A massive wave of Planetoids appears. One appears every 6 to 20 hours, over a period of five days. Scientists struggle to find the cause, but a call is put out to everyone with a survey skill to please do their part to protect the settlements being suddenly threatened. By the third day, it is noticed that Planetoids seem to be hitting mostly VP, perhaps with one or two in The Forge or Anvil. On day five, scientists discover a massive subspace shock-wave as two novas appear. The subspace disruption and burst of ionizing radiation has caused scientists to discover what appear to be an set of warp conduits that have never been surveyed. The result is that a new mini-galaxy, or an expansion to an existing galaxy, is discovered and open to exploration.

- A massive wave of Hulking Wrecks is appearing in the Sphere, though a few appear in the nearby galaxies. They are appearing every 10-30 hours, over a period of ten days. At first, the wrecks are of an unknown design, though the technology appears to be very similar to Gal Fed design. After a few days, an A.I. orbital appears among the wreckage. A few days later two destroyed Con Fed RAID wrecks appears. The next update is that an A.I. staging platform wreck appears, and more disturbingly, one wreck is The Outlook, a long-distance Alliance listening / survey / early-warning station. The last wreck appears in Feris, the Gal Fed military starbase Dvarapala. Telemetry from the intact systems makes it irrefutable that the Dvarapala was destroyed by a Core fleet. The Core has arrived, and arrived on a fleet of warships.

- Meteors everywhere! The FOM puts out a distress call that Meteors are appearing with frightening frequency, apparently every 8-16 hours. Scientists begin searching for the cause, and the findings are dire. It seems that the Great and Glorious Captain Rexx Shredd has grown bored and listless, as he feels his greatness is not being worshiped properly. He has begun to explore, but the Amazing Energy of his Aura, and the gravitational disturbance of his Perfectly Spherical Buttocks, has begun knocking distant comets out of their delicate orbits. Oh, the Woe upon the Sphere! All pilots who are skilled miners are called upon to deal with the asteroids. The rest are exhorted to create sonnets in praise of Rexx, in hopes of flattering him and drawing him safely back into the Sphere.

It would not be used heavily, but such things could be a good story element in "big change" events.
Holiday
CE Official Supporter

Post by Holiday »

lastcrusade wrote: Furthermore, as far as i know (I only have access to first 3 expanse system), Expanse Salvaging requires certificates which can only be trained at level 60 and getting the salving equipment is another story. Therefore, the expanse one is for rather High levels. ) who are probably gonna be mining the exact same Mining Exclusive ores throughout that long 35+ levelS...
that type of salvaging doesn't require any alien certificates. salvaging wrecks in Expanse is the one that requires the certs; derelicts only require that you have a alien salvage cutter for them. it's the same class as the ones used on pirate raids, only for use in Expanse. and alien derelicts can show up in any system down there, even the first three; but they also pop up deeper in so the more you have surveyed the better your chances of having one show up in a system you can get to.
Holiday
Founder of Tombstone in Tornsul
proprietor of The VP Mercantile
almost allways mostly sober...sometimes