Aestroid Collision (Miners version of raid)

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
lastcrusade

Re: Aestroid Collision (Miners version of raid)

Post by lastcrusade »

Holiday wrote:I think this is a pretty cool idea, even though I don't mine for fear of falling asleep and injuring myself on my keyboard.
\

I think this wont be a issue since asteroids or wrecks don't recover/heals like raid do hahas, it just wont make sense. I think the incentive for players together will be the loot, MASSIVE TONNAGE (beyond hardcore miners solo ability) and also from the settlement owner who is gonna get smashed hahas. I don't have a settlement yet, so i cant really tell how painful it will be :)

Settlement owners please enlighten me!
Shinter
Retired Staff

Post by Shinter »

lastcrusade wrote:
MarcSp wrote:I'll just point out - something like this already exists in CE - its the equivalent of Expanse Derelict Salvaging.
Some huge derelict (10,000 tons) appears in a random system
Well Marcsp, like you said its in expanse, which isn't accessible by low-mid level players. Furthermore, as far as i know (I only have access to first 3 expanse system), Expanse Salvaging requires certificates which can only be trained at level 60 and getting the salving equipment is another story. Therefore, the expanse one is for rather High levels.
The Alien Derelict (not to be confused with regular ship salvaging) can be accessed as soon as you are able to enter the Expanse. It can be done with Energy weapons (Class C) and regular non-Expanse scanners, no certification required. It is actually one of the first things you can do in the Expanse, even before mining. The only trick is finding one, but that is always the issue with those, even if you can explore more of the Expanse, and the increase of those derelicts available helps with that somewhat. When one does appear, you need to be lucky, because people will quietly salvage it all on their own - as was pointed out earlier in this post as a potential issue.

Again, my point here is just that Alien Derelicts ARE in fact available at mid levels, as soon as you can get yourself into even the first 3 systems of the Expanse.
Zoorland

Post by Zoorland »

Just throwing some support behind the idea, and mentioning that, yes, I pull 15,000 to 20,000 resources out of an asteroid field every time I mine without even really trying, and I do it in an hour or two depending on how distracted I am (or how awful my internet is that day). If such a thing is added as a mining target, it'll need to surpass those numbers by an order of magnitude or two to foster any sort of need for group effort.

Also, because of the Fuel aspect, traveling the galaxies is not a trivial affair. We'll need time to not only hear about an impending impact, but also respond to it. A few days at least from initial report just for us to gather. But then we also need to account for people digging in immediately, so we have to assume it will be actively mined every day with increasing fervor. That said, expecting huge turnouts for this sort of thing is setting yourself up for failure. You'll never get as many people participating in practice as you think you should in theory. I'd say figure five people spending two hours per day at the upper end of my mining rate for five days as a base starting point. That's already a 1,000,000 resource affair. Slap a 7 day time limit on that and there aren't many miners who could (or would) reasonably solo it.
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

I like such Idea, miners heaven. But I fly in Expanse from time to time, and I know that Derelicts are most often Solo-ed (cleaned by one player). So my few ideas :)

Let's say strange COMET appeared in system. It contains Valuable resources inside, but it is very, very dangerous (for example Radioactive). So one miner can make only 20 shots per day, or it will be sick and die (Alternatively, each Shot/Pick-up drains Health/Stamina from Player - similar effect, but no need for more CE store items ;) ). Unfortunately, in short time it'll disintegrate (Hit planet/Hit Sun/simply Evaporate). Those two restraints prohibits from solo-ing.

How to encourage Teamwork? Two ideas.
1) Comet is like Onion. Outer layer is made from ore, while inside is full of Terovite Gas. but players have to remove outer layer to get treasures buried inside, like in Combat one have to remove Shield and Armour to hit Hull. This, with few days time limit,, will encourage cooperation.
2) Alternatively, precious stuff is distributed evenly inside a Comet. But star wind (aka solar wind ;) ) remove valuable resources from surface (or destroy them). To get them, players have to work faster than Sun ;) ). In game machanics, Comet has to know how many players mine it in last 24 hours. if only few, they can get only ore. If more than few, Comet core is visible, and precious stuff is available. If Comet is left for some time alone Valuables are removed from surface again :( ) Again, with time and Shots limit balancing could be easier :)

Settlement Events - Well, comet in system could increase chance for bad event, unless player has positive Pirate standing, where it would decrease chance for bad event ;)

Learning by Doing: For beginners, outer layer is made from ore, and inner from steel. If player remove certain volume of outer minerals, one can get copper. Iron when one mine more, then alucite, then Valacite and so on. similar with Inner Core.

Onion: I wrote about two layers, but I'd like to have more, four or five, maybe more? :)

Naming Convention: I wrote about COMET, because it is shorter than "Special Random Asteroid Field", but, more important, I feel different activities should have dfferent names.
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Post by jcheung »

i like the comet idea...

as for zoor's point, how about an 'early warning', such as "xxx was discovered to be on a collision course with yyy, xxx will be in range of support operations to deflect or destroy in zz hours."
siddharth

Post by siddharth »

what kind of bad event damage we looking at if comat got hit to settlement without anyone engageing it?
because its a real possblity and hope it does not cause unrepairable damage .
Only truth prevails, not untruth; by the path of truth is laid out, the Divine
way upon which the sages of the past fulfilled their desires, in attaining the supreme
treasure of Truth.
lastcrusade

Post by lastcrusade »

siddharth wrote:what kind of bad event damage we looking at if comat got hit to settlement without anyone engageing it?
because its a real possblity and hope it does not cause unrepairable damage .
Hey Siddharth, I was thinking of a temporary inaccessibility to the settlement for like maybe 7 days. Then at the NPC settlement of the planet, there can be a FOM funded disaster relief center. Since, its sort off FOM's job to get rid of such disaster so they felt apologetic, hence helping to fund the repairs. Whereby a certain number of different kind of disaster relief can be deposited for a small sum, which is used to repair the settlement. Once the required amount is deposited, then the settlement is reopened!

I think this creates more use of the various disaster relief package and also the resources required. Honestly, i'm not to sure what are disaster relief so far used for other then NPC quest
Hunbaba

Post by Hunbaba »

First imagine you have a settlement. Then imagine said disaster will happen to your settlement. Next find out how you will get needed resources and how much it will cost you. As last come back and quickly edit your post before someone else finds it interesting. :twisted:
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

If you mean NPC settlements, you could use names likes "spaceport" or "promenade", but avoid word settlement. Creates confusion :)

btw, if you disable promenade, what would happen to items in Commercial Storage, Gleso, Malls, ORSA sites and similar places? However temporary increase docking price would be nice :)
Moonblade
CE Official Supporter

Post by Moonblade »

NO NO NO. With all respect but wait till u run two lvl six settlements and have an appreciation for the time and money invested in such a venture. It is not a money making machine. My settlement in Rama has been purely designed around the idea of providing cheap services to players in a convenient location. Factory slots for instance are heavily used at 1 credit
Each and i can barely keep up research to open up more. Because of limited building slots i had to forfeit all money making and resource gathering buildings. I recently opened a ship building facility at my other settlement serenity and surely will not be charging for building ships if players provide their own resources.

Just the licences alone were in excess of 1.5 billion if my sums are correct. Now putting all this at risk of a random event where you are at the mercy of other players ? Close rama for a week. Pffft sure why not. But try and sell that to the guys/girls using the facilities there. :)