Equipment for Newcomers

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
Mantic

Equipment for Newcomers

Post by Mantic »

Here's the Question: What do you folks think a newcomer should focus on as far as equipment goes? I realize that the answer is mostly, "Well, it depends..." :roll:
But seriously, what equipment should a new Captain be trying to find, for a well rounded ship in the early stages of the game?

I'm pretty sure one of the top answers is, " Get a better ship as soon as you can." :lol:

Nevertheless, it's a valid question. There's an incredible amount of information to get your head around, so
suggestions would indeed be most welcome!

Thanks,
Mantic

P.S.- wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask this, so if I'm in the wrong place ( It happens to me a lot- :? )
please move it to the right place
M
Akkamaddi
CE Official Supporter

Re: Equipment for Newcomers

Post by Akkamaddi »

Um... It depends? ;)

Let me approach this with skills.

Mining skill is only good for mining lasers. While I do a lot of Federation of Mining missions, that is more interest specific.

Weapon skills (and only pick one) are good for both combat and salvage. If you're not into combat, you have to wait for level 25 to clean the space lanes of other people's junk. I also really enjoy salvage, but I'm hesitant to invest in the Energy skill for the level three salvage laser.

Shields: No. If you are into combat, pick one, but otherwise, no. I'm level 47 and I've never invested the points to equip the one shield I made.

Scan Tech: This is a good one, as scanners make everything possible. You need scanners for combat, salvage, mining, and derelict exploration.

Device Tech: Cargo expander. Cargo expander, cargo expander, cargo expander, cargo expander, cargo expander, cargo expander, cargo expander. Device tech also powers some really useful devices, but the big one is your cargo expander. If you are primarily a hauler, you will live by your cargo space. (And, look up Quantum Space in the CEDR.) If you mine or salvage, cargo space is very valuable. For combat or derelict exploration, you do not use as much, but it's still really nice.

Reactors power everything. Unless you will be spending most of the game puttering around extractors and factories (nothing wrong with that, but no XP), you will end up needing power for everything. If you mine, you will be constantly looking for better reactors. Salvage equipment or a good weapon and shield can also eat up your power reserves.

Survey: There are usually GBM contracts for water and oxygen, and iron and copper are not uncommon. Water and oxygen have pretty low survey skill requirements, and so a few personal extractors are good for extra cash.

Drone: Even if you don't craft, GBM contracts for ore are not uncommon, and refined ore has a nice price. Five Hermes drones can get you a bit of extra spending money.

As for the actual equipment:

From what I experienced at low levels, the Storm reactors are the best, preferably +P3 for the extra power. Talk to your guild crafter, or check the emporium. Even without the power boost, storm reactors are good. When you can get a Tesla 1, do so if you mine, salvage, or haul. If you are into combat, a Hammer 1 & 2 may be better for the damage boost.

The QE cargo expanders are the best at their level, again preferably with +P3. (I would also say that many crafters will dissuade you from using three green crystals on a QE1, as you outgrow it so quickly.)

If you are into mining, which is a power hog, an Energy Injector or two may help. When you get to a higher level, the Babylon POD is a bit of magic.

If you are into combat, a Messiah Turrent POD is a good investment, as is a Taser Shield POD and Midas POD.

If you are into Derelict exploration, a small grav sled is probably your most important investment.
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Post by jcheung »

funny story, getting a new ship is *not* the top answer, unless you have money to throw around ^_^

"it depends" plays heavily into it too, depending on which roles you are going with. if you're a miner, the odds of you shooting things is lower... and vice versa...

really depends on your needs and goals.
Pablem
CE Official Supporter

Post by Pablem »

Akkamadi has the right idea. While Core Exiles will let you be successful as a Jack-of-All-Trades and master of none, not many people will enjoy going that route. Therefore you need to decide on what skills best help you meet your goals. As a beginning player you do not know that yet, so hurray for the Skill Reset option.

However, there are some things that are good to keep in mind.
1-Keep a level or two of ip in reserve for when you realize you really want a specific upgrade NOW.
2-Reactor and Device skill are never wasted. Try not to overspend, but if you do it isn't the end of the skill plan, you will need these points later. Storm Reactors and Quantum Evo Expanders are the best way to spend these at the lowest levels. Rare loot items after level 30.
3-Extractors and drones! Keep the easy money flowing! Plan ahead to keep these as current as possible. Commercial extractors, Hermes-Hera-Hestia-Hades (and higher) progression on the drones. A lot of people get too wrapped up getting the next weapon or pretty gadget, but your survey skill also pays itself back. A 7-day of copper ore with a personal extractor nets you about 29,000, the same extractor on steel makes 95,000 or more, titanium makes 150,000, and tessarine ore makes 190,000. Triple those numbers for commercial extractors. Double the commercial numbers for industrials.
I'd say steel by level 15 is a good goal, and keep an eye on the GBM for other extractables that keep showing up.
4-Now it depends on what you spend most of your time doing.
Shipbuilder Pablem Chief Entrepreneur, Citrus Enterprises
HQ located at Citrus Pass, Tig
Career Crafter
aRJay
CE Official Supporter

Post by aRJay »

Akkamaddi wrote:Um... It depends? ;)

<Snip>

If you are into combat, a Messiah Turrent POD is a good investment, as is a Taser Shield POD and Midas POD.
There is a thing to watch out for with the Messiah Turret POD, the bigger the POD the better isn't always quite true this is because two type 1's use the same POD points as one type 2 but do more damage so what to go for is affected by both the POD points you can provide (10 or 15 with upgrade) and the number of POD slots your ship provides. This means that earlier in your career you need to look at a couple of the bigger more expensive PODs but later on when your ship supports 10 PODs you need a selection of 1s and 2s.
Lvl 114: Settlement Diaspar (L6): Guild Intelliquest

"For scientific leadership, Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton."
Mantic

Post by Mantic »

Thanks, folks- This is the kind of information I'm looking for. Still getting used to the trade circuits, storing the goodies I find and using the bank for capital not immediately needed. I want to get a better (bigger) ship more for hold size than anything else, but doing ok with the Marauder so far- even if it is ugly... :roll:
Rexx Shredd

Post by Rexx Shredd »

Save the money and buy an Engine 5 in the CE Store...
STONE
CE Official Supporter

Post by STONE »

And if you haven't entered it yet there is a competition going on for free Bio engine 5's Coops has at least 6 or 7 engines by now that he'll be giving away...
in the forums the link doesn't seem to be working for me... :?
Settlement Shenandoah, Sayet System V-P
"Brace yourself for immediate disintegration."