Interesting times to live in China

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
Mechwarrior

Interesting times to live in China

Post by Mechwarrior »

Hi all, my two toons (mechwarrior/shadow) just wish to say its not all death and destruction here just yet. At the time of my posting this message we are upto 50 deaths from the illness from Wuhan. It appears that a snake ate an infected rat then the snake was eaten by someone/s. In Wuhan there are 5 open air animal markets, so nothing is too much of a surprise.
At first it was only 1 large and 5 minor cities locked down but that was 2 days ago and now the count has gone up. (From 11 million people to more than 60 million being told to stay indoors)
Late last night we were notified that 2 persons from Wuhan had made it to our city (so many very rich people did a runner instead of staying and helping keep it controlled). My wife and I are way north of Wuhan but ahhhh tonight its our turn to have all railway, highway airports etc etc closed down.

When I first heard about the problem I went out and bought up about 3 to 4 weeks of food. Being a western guy nobody thought anything of it.

My wife and I and the two cats are locked down at home staying warm (what a lovely chinese new year)

I will try to get online and spend time ingame but the wifi here is slowing down way more than normal - I just hope I can keep dropping off my fuel

hate the thought of a full tank and not getting online happening again.

anyway

fly safe all

mech
Coops
Site Admin

Re: Interesting times to live in China

Post by Coops »

I wish you all the best my friend to you and your Family. Reports reaching us are varied so its good to hear from those actually affected. It at least looks like they are treating it seriously and taking appropriate measures where they can. Just sorry you're in the middle (so to speak) of it.

We will still be here, so when you can log in and check in with us.

Wishing you well, stay safe..

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Fukodlak

Post by Fukodlak »

Keep on, mate. Those of us who live in the west have tough time finding out what's actually going on, so it's good to read from someone who's (sadly) there. Wish you the best, and this lil' (or not so small :)) community is always here should you need to chat. Supposed to travel to China in less than a month...
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

An update

Now more than 80 people have died from the virus

What is most concerning is that the last two people found with the bug had no cold, no cough, no headache

Seems the virus is changing

time to be really careful

late last night we had the government people come around and head scan everyone checking temps

but since it has changed its behaviour that is now a waste of time

not sure what the airports will do now - I would just stop all incoming flights

take care all
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Over 100 people gone now - this bug is pretty aggressive

Local news - shop keeper increased the price of his fruit and veg. One green leave veg went from .90 per kg to 60.00

Locals complained to the police - he was hit with a 500000 yuan fine (yuan is like our dollar)

the sage continues

so far my two cats have slept through it all
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Can only give you basic info today

132 dead as of today - nearly all are within Hubei Province (think State) Wuhan is the major city of the province.
5,974 people known to be infected

but this figure will grow as so many ran away before the lock downs came in and local/foreign hospitals were not really sure what they were looking at/for.

Overnight most of the news sites I was looking at daily for information have disappeared, so I cant provide too much more

Several people have actually told me they are supposed to come here for work - I would say no - stay at home. You might not be able to get back out if you arrive

This morning British Airways stopped all flights into/out of China. Others are sure to follow. Hong Kong has closed entry to the mainland and so so so many villages around the country have used building materials, heavy vehicles to close themselves off from contact.

There is a small feeling around against foreign people - not nice. This is coming as many countries are removing embassy staff and company managers etc.

So many of my students have told me they are bored and wish to go back to Uni. I dont think many actually understand how serious this virus is.

This virus is not only taking the old or very young. The deaths have been across the board. Some people showed no signs they were ill up until they dropped down.

Take care all...
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Time for an update

Total deaths so far - 361
those believed have the virus - 21558

figures have jumped a bit

we recently got told we might be in lock down for another 3 weeks yet

and.... as if one virus wasnt enough

now we have two

just south of wuhan - our trouble city is Shaoyang

they have yet another chicken virus outbreak - its already killed off nearly 5000 chickens and it just happened

ahhh the pig trouble we had about a month ago (yes it killed people also) police have stated that one farmer killed and cut up several of his pigs (after filling them with poison) and then placed it in the food trays of another pig farmer

why? because he wanted more money

its a real laugh here at the moment...
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Well its day ahhh - I am not sure, lost count.

We now have 491 deaths and 24365 that are confirmed having the virus.

So many small videos of people going totally nuts being locked at home and heading out with masks. Trying to use vehicles to push past barricades etc

Also many people going to the supermarket without masks - they also are spoken to by police and head off to jail

Most people are pretty well behaved.

My big concern is about all the parcels Chinese people normally send out to friends and family for Chinese New Year that they wouldnt have time to get with. I really hope no bugs are attached to these items.

Late last night Uk sent out messages to all persons in China - get out now. Thats a huge step (makes me wonder if they know anything we havent been told) My work mate is from UK and was worried about the message and rang in - told even though his wife is Chinese and has no current visa she can fly out also - (not happened before that I know)

A friend who works in the USA and makes items for Boeing - his work is drying up now that no more imports are allowed out of China and into the USA.
(seriously, what do these guys know that I dont)

Lastly - no more items on the internet here about the virus being under control quickly and people going back to work etc. Its all just disappeared.

Coops, I was thinking about trying to buy a kracken engine for my alt since he has run for more than a year on the lesser engine. The exchange rate from chinese rmb (yuan) to brit pound in the past killed my dreams (it nearly ran to half a months pay) I think it was 1 for 6 then..
Well my dream was killed last night - exchange rates here are below ground level now and still dropping.

I truly hope this bug does not reach any of you in the way its knocking on doors here..

fly safe all
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Keep your chin up and your Family safely tucked inside away from the Bug. Good to hear from you and that at least you can still reach us here over the Chinese Fire Wall.

Not good times to be living in China, but at least they do seem to be taking it very seriously this time (the Government) Cant think of any time we have seen such radical steps taken by them. Stay safe buddy and best regards to your family.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Here on the mainland we have a net site we can go to that has a 'live update' of numbers re the virus. Well it was live for the first 3 or 4 days - now it seems that it is updated every 6 to 8 hrs.
As I am writing this it says
Confirmed-28130. Suspected- 24702. Death-564. Recovered- 1338

BUT....

In the UK (yes, I was given the info by a brit) the dailymail posted an article a day or two ago with figures from a govt website
The figures were removed within 10 minutes of being posted..

Confirmed- 154023 Suspected 79808 Death- 351 Recovered- 304

I have no idea if the figures are real or not, nor do I know which part of the govt actually posted them

stay safe all.