Where is best to place a settlement?

A place for Settlement owners and soon to be owners to discuss Settlements. - Love them or Hate them they are a central part of Core-Exiles.
Patience

Where is best to place a settlement?

Post by Patience »

The moment is nearly here. Patience will finally be rewarded. All these pesky colonists and their furry friends will be deposited on a shiny new settlement somewhere in the 5 galaxies. Not going near that scary Expanse place mind!

I will get my ship back albeit desperately in need of spring cleaning! But where to drop them off? No conveniently placed black holes are available. So, I reach out to those brave souls / entrepreneurs / maniacs (delete as appropriate) who have gone before me … Where would you recommend I set up a settlement?

Sadly, money is a factor! My bank account is reasonably healthy with over 100 million credits but I suspect the cost of the licence is just the first bill of many …

Any thoughts much appreciated 😊
If you gotta go, make sure you GO BIG !!!!
MarcSp

Re: Where is best to place a settlement?

Post by MarcSp »

Cannot make any recommendations, that depends on your preferences, play style, sett specialization,
and amount of effort you want to put into this project.
Any sett can prosper, or fail, it all depends on how much effort and concern you put into it.

I just suggest: at least 1 or 2 ORSA sites in system, preferrably on the same planet. Asteroid fields and a nebula close by, perhaps
neighboring systems. I do not recommend settling IN a nebula system, too much uncertainty with the war against the AI. A lot of
players like to build in Jump Anchor systems, hoping to get passing traffic to visit, but I find these systems overcrowded.
A galactic emporium, mall, or Gleso site in system is very helpful.
Central Sphere or VP are most popular areas.

Money....ha ha yes this is why sett owners get an automatic membership to the "Out Of Credits" club.
The Wolf
CE Staff (Senior)
CE Staff (Senior)

Post by The Wolf »

In short, there is no right or wrong answer here. Like MarcSp pointed out its all dependent on your preferences etc.

If you purely want your settlement to make money from hauling, then near a NEI gate would be the best place, however, this won't guarantee you making many credits. As MarcSp pointed out, it's very crowded around there, and most players who belong to big guilds will only use their guilds settlements. These places are also the most expensive licenses, so if you strapped for cash, not the best location, especially because you can't guarantee that it will make you credits from otherplayers.

If you enjoy a lot of mining, you might want to place it near some asteroids and these licenses are often much cheaper to get.

If you want to turn your settle in a personal manufacturing facility, pretty much any location is open for you, which means you can get the really cheap licenses and have credits left to do some upgrades early on.

I do suggest getting your hands on a Thor Hammer NEI device, this thing allows you to jump to all the NEI gates, plus your corp HQ and any settlement you own. Because this device allows you to jump straight to your settlement from anywhere in the galaxies.

An important fact I've learned from owning settlements (both near NEI gates and away from it), even if your settlement is on a prime location, you personally will still end up being your settlements best customer.
Owner and creator of the Core-Exile fan site Project Eagle

My Settlements:
  • Triskelion (Located in Ferra, the Sphere)
  • Lighthouse (Located in Dashan, Furnace)
Starbase:
  • Starbase Archon-2 (TT) (Located in Cole, Furnace)
Patience

Post by Patience »

Huge thanks to MarcSp and The Wolf for their views – much appreciated :D

Some good pointers there which I had not thought enough about. Certainly changed my viewpoint :shock:

Those colonists still banging on the air lock door but hopefully not too much longer :lol:
If you gotta go, make sure you GO BIG !!!!