Expanse - Expands

This section covers latest updates and changes within the game. Posts here are made by the Developers and if you only read 1 Section - make it this one!
Coops
Site Admin

Expanse - Expands

Post by Coops »

I'll try to keep this Dev Report as short as I can whilst answering as many questions as I can.

As you will be aware the game was taken off-line for 2 and a half hours this morning so we could roll out an upgrade to the game. This upgrade has allowed us to open up fully the Expanse.

Now before you all go running off to check out the changes I suggest you read this post fully.

Expanse Basics:
The expanse is 56 systems of Alien Territory. We added nearly 200 new planets and Asteroid Fields to keep you busy and a twist in the storyline that you have all been guessing at (read the ISN's as they appear).

To gain access to the Expanse you need a 'Inter-Galactic Telemetry Beacon' fitting to your ship. This enables you to navigate around the initial systems in the Expanse without becoming lost. (nothing new there).

If you've read ISN reports over time you will know that Gal-Fed launched ships in to the Expanse and a battle ensued over the initial systems. Yam has recently become Coalition Territory and as such its law levels increased. But players are still being hindered from exploring any further into the expanse than the first few systems.

These initial systems were mapped by Gal-Fed when they arrived in the Expanse. (Read ISN's to gather more info on this) From there on the Expanse has seen a constant fight between an Alien Race who it seems are hell bent on killing as many humans as they can. (Still no change there) :)

Alien Justice League
The AJL as you are aware is currently working on a translator for the Alien Language. This in turn will aid players in 'unlocking' the expanse and so starting a new chapter in their captains lives.

Until the AJL project is completed and those that took part have crafted an Alien Language Decoder the Expanse will pretty much remain as it is. Fitting the decoder should prove interesting :)

So What's new Coops?
Up till now we've all taken for granted that each system is fully explored and surveyed. You pop out the Jump Gate and there it is. The navigation system does all the work and you just choose where to go.

Well the Expanse poses some interesting twists (see ISN) and the use of 'Pulse Wave Survey' systems is now outlawed! This means that each captain will need to 'survey' the systems for themselves.

As you survey each system you can then move deeper and deeper into the Expanse. The first few systems should be relatively easy to survey and shouldn't cause too much trouble. But don't expect the Expanse to open up over night. Only those dedicated in expanding their game play will make headway.

Astro Navigation Data Points
Each system has an 'Astro Navigation Data Point' ENTRY requirement. This is shown to you on the Jump Gate system whilst in the Expanse and attempting to move in to a system without the accompanying navigation data points will be stopped by your able minded AI. (we wouldn't want you getting lost now would we).

Astrogation Scanning Requirement
Having gained access to a new system you will need to complete 'surveying it'. Each system will require a certain amount of surveying before it becomes fully shown on the Navigation screen. Once you complete uncovering a system using the 'surveying' you will be awarded 'Astro Navigation Data Points' enabling you to move on to another system.

So in a nut shell you will need to survey each system and when complete you will be awarded enough points to move on to another system.

Once a system is fully surveyed it will appear as normal in the navigation screen. You can then enter and leave it as you would normally.

Alien Planets
There are two Alien Factions you will deal with in the Expanse. One you have already met and one you have not. You will need to glean further information about this in game and from ISN posts.

But...

I will explain that 'Exploration' of inhabited non 'dockable' planets is through the use of 'Exploration-Combat'. This is similar to the method of exploration but uses different equipment. It also means that the planet wont become inhabitable by the Coalition till the planet has been fully conquered.

Faction's
You will see that the Alien Faction in your standings has changed and is now based off 'one' of the Alien races along with this there is also a Faction for Astro Navigation. This rises as you successfully manage to uncover the Expanse.

Alien Currency
A new Alien currency has been introduced into the game. This is Talas. Both alien races use this currency and it can be gained from Trade, Combat & Exploration/combat. This means that 'almost' anyone doing work in the Expanse can gain and start to gather 'Talas'.

Dock at Alien Planets
You will find as you dig deeper into the Expanse that you can dock at certain planets. This will open up a new era of NPC's, Stores and story lines and eventually new services being added. You will need to gain Faction of course to be able to talk and open the new stores.

Combat Change
Up till now when fighting in the Expanse you have been awarded credits and standard XP. You will now gain Alien Faction and 'Talas'. This change was needed to better fit the changes.

So what's next?
Players need to complete the AJL project. Both parts, and then Craft and fit the Decoder. Meanwhile you will find new Schematics and items to start crafting in preparation.

I would also suggest keeping a firm eye on the ISN reports for the next few days. These will explain most of the story line changes and explain away MANY of your questions.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!