Planetary Resource Locator

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Strongwood

Planetary Resource Locator

Post by Strongwood »

I was thinking it might be interesting to have a new pod or device that could look up the closest available planetary resource slot.

The purpose of this would be to locate a user defined resource that is closest to their current location.

For example, maybe I am looking for some trigenite ore or steel (simbirsk). A player could use this and enter the type of resource they are are looking for. A message showing the nearest system or planet would come up. If there were none available, it would say so.

There could be 5 or 6 pods or devices available. Each type may allow a player to search once for a level 1 device, twice for a level 2 device and so on per day.

Any thoughts on this?
Strongwood
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Re: Planetary Resource Locator

Post by jcheung »

i like the idea... be nice if it showed all openings sorted by distance
however, the ORSA pro viewer shows a lot of this info? unless i'm mistaken...
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

"ORSA Pro Viewer Upgrade" works similar way. you can see resources on all planets. no "find" button :(, but I think it was considered and refused - too easy for players :(
Strongwood

Post by Strongwood »

I wasn't sure exactly what the ORSA pro viewer upgrade did until now. For some reason thought it did something different. It does sound very similar to what I was mentioning. Sometimes I forget what is what here. Thanks for the response
Rexx Shredd

Post by Rexx Shredd »

Strongwood wrote:For example, maybe I am looking for some trigenite ore or steel (simbirsk).
Im pretty sure that the closest place to extract Steel (Simbirsk) is going to be Simbirsk............

:mrgreen: ;)
Strongwood

Post by Strongwood »

Rexx Shredd wrote:
Strongwood wrote:For example, maybe I am looking for some trigenite ore or steel (simbirsk).
Im pretty sure that the closest place to extract Steel (Simbirsk) is going to be Simbirsk............

:lol: You got me on that one. I put that more to see if a slot was available than to find out where to extract it. ;)
As mentioned that would be to easy. I have to be more careful with my late night posting after a few drinks.
Arnica

Post by Arnica »

Perhaps an easier option to implement would be to make the ORSA Pro listing sortable by column. This is done elsewhere in the game for other listings, should be easy to code. ORSA Pro is already a paid option, so would increase CE's earnings. Using browser search for a particular item works OK if you want a particular resource. Sorting by time left, or resource type, would be enhancements that help encourage the sales of OP upgrade.
Arnica

Post by Arnica »

I have another suggestion that would take a bit more coding. As a step towards implementing what Strongwood suggested, the planet choice page for the ORSA Pro upgrade could be more deeply coded. Currently, the menu listing jumps to a known planet and is sorted by system name. If it was sorted by distance it would add another ability to the ORSA Pro. The system planets would still be together as they are all same distance, although multiple systems might be mixed together if same distance. But the added ability to find closest Resources Service to current position would, IMHO, be worth the slight annoyance of sorting through two or more systems planets mixed together.

The choice list would need to be dynamically assembled depending on your current position versus the current static list that only needs updating when a new Resources Service is added.
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

Rexx Shredd wrote:

And here I was thinking you'd say "the closest place to extract any valuable resource is my battle speedos"... :lol:

Ok, seriously, the ORSA Pro Viewer may not be the most comfortable thing to use (when you're looking for a specific resource), but "ctrl-f" works well enough, at least if you know in which galaxy a given resource can be found.
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.
Arnica

Post by Arnica »

Darakhoranon wrote:Ok, seriously, the ORSA Pro Viewer may not be the most comfortable thing to use (when you're looking for a specific resource), but "ctrl-f" works well enough, at least if you know in which galaxy a given resource can be found.
Helping to rank what to work on is OK, but do you think that any of the suggestions should NEVER be implemented? :?

edit: Aw, shucks. I am being a bit lazy, I guess. Sorting by days left/resoure type is easy enough with cut/paste to spreadsheet. As far as finding closest resources, it would take away part of the experience to have it given to you. Learning the layout through repetition is part of what CE is about. However, if CE wanted to have less of a learning curve I still think that tweaking resource listings could be easy to implement. :|
Last edited by Arnica on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.