Small interface redesign?

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
alumoi
CE Official Supporter

Small interface redesign?

Post by alumoi »

Seeing how CE is getting an art overhaul, I think it could benefit a new redesign regarding the cockpit.
Today I will concentrate on combat, but you'll get the idea.
You all know how the combat screens look, from scanning for new targets to the loot windows. What do you say if it would look like this:

ACTUAL COMBAT

COMBAT RESULTS

COMBAT LOOT

Now, before I forget: Coops, thanks for no. 28 :)
Coops
Site Admin

Re: Small interface redesign?

Post by Coops »

OK, so this one is relatively easy to do, but was NOT done for a very simple reason initially.

Once a captain has an idea of how combat works, the next thing they do is fall into a pattern, choose 'killable target' enter in to combat and 'hammer' the Fire Buttons. If you have a high speed internet connection, a good millisecond ping to the Server in West Germany that works fine..

Problem...

Slow internet, or slow ping, then the screen can't load quick enough to support 'hammering the fire button'. Therefore, adding in the extra load of the header which contains a bunch load of SQL queries (including level up etc) not to mention loading the art and icons, drawing the table header - THEN going on to process your 'fire' command.

We often find with newbies to CE with slower internet that we get reports of being 'kicked' out of combat. This is the system ensuring it doesn't lose track of the fight due to poor connectivity. Adding the header in to the combat screen WILL increase this.

So I'd need to hear a lot more Yes please, before I start editing the old combat screen.

Perhaps if there is enough +votes I could make that the default and enable a 'turn off header in combat' option in settings.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
alumoi
CE Official Supporter

Post by alumoi »

Hmm, maybe if you ditch the events in the header...
Or let the actual combat windows as it is and add the 'cockpit' in the rest?
After all, the rest of the images should be cached already.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

I spent a while working out how best to streamline the code to allow for the extra Database pulls without impacting the combat - the result is viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4057

There is the issue of screen depth but I added a Toggle in case players could not cope with it.

Hope you enjoy the result.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
alumoi
CE Official Supporter

Post by alumoi »

Oh yes, I do.
I must confess you got me there for the first time, I thought I broke CE again. I mean, come on, here I am, hunting AIs, sipping my coffee and using muscle memory when.... bang! new interface. From one AI to the next.
But again, nicely done.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

It did take some extra tripping from the normal header to get it within a limit I was happy about, I'm just sad that not everyone will be able to use the new view due to their screen depth. Combat is the 1 screen where you really don't want scrolling on every action, lol.

Coops