Change wreck locking mechanism [done]

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Hunbaba

Change wreck locking mechanism [done]

Post by Hunbaba »

Problem:
Current system is inadequate / incomplete. You can lock normal and expanse wrecks by tagging ships with use of a specialized gun in second gun slot. It takes a few shots to do it and is time consuming and annoying as you can take more damage tagging potential (you havent killed the ship at all at this point...) as destroying it. AI ships cant be tagged at all.

Solution:
Introduce new type of equipment / mechanic to address this problem.

Example:
Ships pod or special that when equipped will auto tag whatever is destroyed. One for personal, one for guild use. Alien, normal, AI ships or perhaps one for all.

Additional options to introduce some drawback (not required to apply all of them):
One bio fuel is used for each wreck tagged.
Wrecks are time locked. Depending on version of device they can be locked up to 12 hrs. After that they become public again.
High energy demand.
High skill demand (device, targeting, combination of both).
Success is not guaranteed. Better versions will have higher chance. A device with 60% success rate will still generate public accessible wrecks.
OtherRick

Re: Change wreck locking mechanism

Post by OtherRick »

This would be a fantastic addition

I don't know even one person that locks wrecks per the current system, but I've sure thought about it lately. It is unfortunately impossible to lock the AI wrecks I want to salvage, and that is pretty frustrating.

For clarification on the "impossible" point: the salvage locking mechanism and the AI Coalition Scanner required to see wrecks both take up the second weapon slot. Since a captain only has one second weapon slot, it isn't possible to lock AI wrecks.

This would be great as a pod or special, but I would even go so far as to say it could take up a system slot to perform this functionality. That would make a lot of sense if it were to have a high energy or skill demand.

And I like the idea of successful locking not being guaranteed as a method of still generating publicly accessible wrecks.

Whatever version of this solution we go with, it should be named after Hunbaba. Baba-lock, anyone?
Hand Solo
CE Official Supporter

Post by Hand Solo »

Simple solution.

Have all wrecks auto locked to whoever killed them for 12 hours. After 12 hours they are open to anybody to salvage.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

After some pondering and testing, I decided to relent and add devices that follow the gist of the request laid down by Hunb.

These devices (Specials) do not affect the normal Target Lock devices should you wish to still use them and will not affect in any way the 'need' of the Salvager to still be able to reach back in time long enough to 'see' the wrecks.

This adds the simple 'lock what I shoot' type affect and has two versions s a Bio locked captain version and a guild Locked version.

Both will give notification if the target has been locked when you close range ad attack.

https://shop.core-exiles.com/search.asp ... ab&search=

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Hunbaba

Post by Hunbaba »

Seriously? :shock:

To be honest, i was kind of expecting it will go under the radar with the amount of stuff currently on your plate. It might not look like it, but this is a huuuuge deal, at least for me. Removing a bit frustrating part of salvaging and replacing it with additional possibilities of a team work within a guild (read: now i can start charging guild mates for wrecks i make, mwahahaha :twisted: ). On a must have list for sure.

Thank you for taking a bit of time and going out of your way for doing this.

regards,
Hunbaba
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

No worries, my friend, I was hesitant and did take a while to mull over the issues. Seemed a fair trade as these are Store Only and does not remove the need for Salvage crews to still use the correct gear to salvage the locked wrecks.

Have fun guys....

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!