Bank Investments...

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Yokose

Bank Investments...

Post by Yokose »

So I have thought of an idea for Core Exiles. Honestly, this idea is not my own, but I got it from another game. Anyway, what would everyone think of “Bank Investments”? Two types of investments actually, Short-term and long-term investments.

Lets start with short-term bank investments. With this type of investment, a player could choose from a variety of different time periods for their investment… 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, and 3 months for example. This type of investment would have a high return depending on what time period the player chooses. For example…

1 week would gain a player a 5% return
2 weeks would gain a player a 7% return
1 month would gain a player a 10% return
2 months would gain a player a 14% return
3 months would gain a player a 20% return

These are just examples, the developer can fine-tune this if needed. During a players investment period, they would be unable to access their credits until the investment period has concluded. Furthermore, there would be a maximum amount of credits allowed to be invested, 2 billion for example… meaning if a player has 5 billion in credits sitting in their bank and they want to invest it, they can only invest 2 billion at most. With all this in mind, lets show some example investments below. To make things easier, let’s say that I were to start each investment with the maximum allowed credits of 2 billion.

1 week with a return of 5% would gain me 100 million for a total of 2.1 billion
2 weeks with a return of 7% would gain me 140 million for a total of 2.14 billion
1 month with a return of 10% would gain me 200million for a total of 2.2 billion
2 months with a return of 14% would gain me 280 million for a total of 2.28 billion
3 months with a return of 20% would gain me 400 million for a total of 2.4 billion

An idea that was brought to mind was adding events with the short-term investments. I honestly do not know how that would work… maybe the events would gain a player another 5% increase to their investment, or the possibility of suffering a 5% loss with their investment. Another thing the developers can fine-tune.

On to long-term bank investments. With this type of investment there would be no time limit. A player can put in any amount of credits… yes, there would be no limit to how many credits a player could invest. The down side would be a low return on your investment… 1%. The upside is that this investment is cumulative, meaning… the longer and more you invest, the more a player would gain over time. How would this work you ask? Here is another example… I will go with a return of 1% and a starting amount of 2 billion, just to make things easy.

First month with a return of 1% would gain me 20 million for a total of 2.02 billion
Second month with a return of 1% would gain me 20.2 million for a total of 2.0402 billion
Third month with a return of 1% would gain me 20.402 million for a total of 2.060602 billion

I hope my math is correct with these examples. As you can see, every month a player would gain a return of 1% on their investment… and every month they keep their credits in that investment, the more they will gain. A players long-term investment could start either at the beginning of the next month, or as soon as a player starts their investment by putting credits into said investment.

As I have said, a player would be able to invest as many credits without limit… but also take out credits from their long-term investment at any time as well. Unlike the short-term investments, a player has complete access to their credits… bare in mind though that if a player takes out credits from their long-term investment, it would impact their return when the next months cycle has concluded. I’ll leave the developers to decide on the finer details with this as well.

The long-term investment is just that… a long-term investment with a low rate of return on your investment. I do not think that events would be a good idea with long-term investments because the return is so low… but again this too would be up to the developer.

The reasoning for this suggestion was mentioned obliquely above in passing. To put it out there though, the reasoning is simple… at the moment when players put credits in their bank account, it does just that… it sits there. The credits don’t accrue any interest, with this suggestion, that would change things and allow players to accrue interest on credits that they have laying around in their account. Anyway, what does everyone think? Leave a comment if you’d like. Thanks so much for your time and consideration, have fun playing!

Yokose
Elkhorn
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Re: Bank Investments...

Post by Elkhorn »

Player hat on.
I like the idea of a Bank Investment or 'savings account'. Of course fixed terms it's more like a Certificate of Deposit (CD).
Realistically I think your margins are set a little high.
I also think the maximum investment amounts are high as well, though that is most likely a Coops decision.

I think a 1% per week is more realistic. So 1 week 1%, 2 weeks 2%, up to 5 weeks (one month).
Then a 2 month for 10%.
3 months 20%
4 months 25%

That's probably the max time to tie up credits, but you can put money in every week/month.

Naturally there would be penalties for early withdraws. For ease of math maybe no interest paid if it doesn't go full term.
Fixed terms are common, rather than compounding as in your second example.
Rule of Acquisition #1 Once you have their money...never give it back!
OtherRick

Post by OtherRick »

Frankly, I like the idea for a lot of reasons.

Long-term investments are basically the entirety of Core-Exiles, so this really seems like it would fit in very nicely. What's different about this long-term investment, though, is that there isn't much player interaction with it at all. Other investments like Settlements, Corporation, Genesis all require a pretty large investment at the outset with continuing attention and fine-tuning requirements as you continue using them.

I'd suggest that the return should be scaled based on the requirement for player interaction.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

/me eyes the post with caution as making rich players richer for almost no effort makes me nervous...
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!