CEDR Display improvements

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
OtherRick

CEDR Display improvements

Post by OtherRick »

Hello,

Since the beginning of time itself, all exiles have wanted the CEDR, long shop lists, and other various lists throughout Core Exiles to:

1) Remember your view preferences (i.e., 25, 50, 75, 100 entries per page)
2) Allow for sorting all lists (i.e., some NPC shops do not let you sort based on cost, captain level, etc, but only display equipment for sale alphabetically)
3) Remember your search queries when you return to the list after viewing an entry (e.g., so you do not need to type "settlement" into the Galactic Emporium every time you finish viewing a settlement item), and
4) Sort lists of numbers as though they were numbers rather than text (currently, sorting by credits cost will place items costing "10,000,000" before items costing "200" because 1 comes before 2).

While many long-standing exiles have grown accustomed to working around these existing quirks, the status quo can make navigating the CEDR and various shops quite frustrating for new exiles. It also makes comparing Galactic Emporium entries extremely frustrating, limiting the usefulness of the Emporium search tool.

Other list sorting and viewing ideas are most welcome, so please feel free to *cough* list them here!

--Captain OtherRick
Coops
Site Admin

Re: CEDR Display improvements

Post by Coops »

This post has a similar reply to the other one you commented on earlier (just replied)

Way back when we started creating these systems we settled on a certain type of data table system, one the Blind / VI could navigate. It has limitations and as such we were limited by our own choice. Changing this will mean a wholesale upgrade of EVERY table system we use (that uses the same system). When we last looked at this there were issues with various methods and the relationship of VI / Blind screen readers. Some worked, some did not.

We shelved it at that time and whilst 'Yes' the interface and tables NEED bringing into the 20th century we are limited by making sure it still works for everyone and lastly it's a feasible task for one guy who is already stretched so very thin...

The only real solution is to scrap the current systems and move to a more modern version of data tables (I use the term loosely to encompass these types of system before I get coders hammering on my door for correctness). But we have 100's of pages of this in CE all hand edited to suit the specific needs of the current page.

I'm not insensitive to the need or the change requirement, but atm I'm struggling to pay my rent and wonder where I'll be living next month, so for this exact moment this will have to remain as it is. when my life reaches some kind of equilibrium I will revisit this one as its FAR from as simple as it may appear.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
OtherRick

Re: CEDR Display improvements

Post by OtherRick »

Haha! I absolutely understand, Coops.

Right after I posted, The Wolf sent me a message about this topic, saying you have talked about it before and it poses a very challenging task to upgrade. Thank you for also clarifying about the desire to continue catering to VI players-- I wasn't aware that the original data table system was purposely chosen to work well for VI/Blind players, so I can now understand a little better why this system is the way that it is.

Thank you for your well-spoken reply.