Automation of mining by Mining Barge

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Kiyomasa

Automation of mining by Mining Barge

Post by Kiyomasa »

Once I have transitted to an asteroid field the task of mining is a repetitive function. Select a mining group and start the mining. Once the hold is full or the power cells are drained, I mass transfer all my hold to a selected commercial store. Once power cells are reggenned start the mining again. This is a function which the AI should be able to perform unless it encounters a problem. Could this be set up as a future AI ability? What do you all think?
MarcSp

Re: Automation of mining by Mining Barge

Post by MarcSp »

It would be a outstanding feature. I think it would need some kind of time-out (perhaps 30 days or so).
Otherwise, the "But think of the balance! You have to work for it" crowd will lose their minds over the thought of an automated resource stream.
Gabby Newsome
CE ISN Reporter

Post by Gabby Newsome »

The mining barge is automated. You fire it off and it mines away. Yes the cells drain and have to recharge and then you have to relaunch. This gives you the opportunity to look over your load-out, check your AI skills and abilities and take a quick look at the massive amount of resources you are getting for pretty much nothing.
I don't play from a phone and I work in an environment where I can't check on the game at work. So the only time I can restart the operation is if I am at home (and remember to check on it).
I'm not sure balance is the issue, interaction is. Why not have a button that say "finish game PRESS HERE"?
Star Field Reporter - ISN NEWS
Kiyomasa

Post by Kiyomasa »

Just tryig to point out that a mining barge controlled by an AI currently has less automated caability than the remote mining drones and the ADV mining drones.
Akkamaddi
CE Official Supporter

Post by Akkamaddi »

Kiyomasa wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:44 am Just tryig to point out that a mining barge controlled by an AI currently has less automated caability than the remote mining drones and the ADV mining drones.
If I'm reading that right, then no.

The barge can harvest *all* ore up to a very high mining level (Xerinium gas in Forge/Anvil/VP and better gasses in Furnace). The ADV mining drones only harvest a very select list of ores. (Specifically, they only harvest the ores that are used to make Staffium alloys, and that list was set years ago.)

The mining barge also sucks up miscellaneous loot, including crystals and occasionally crates. My barge is currently optimized for salvage, and I've dropped a hundred crystals at Svens for barter points a few times.

The only thing the barge can't do (and I've said before I would pay for this feature) is dump appropriate ores and fragments into an Orbital Refinery.