Recognize New Posts

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
EmelioFahrlanger

Recognize New Posts

Post by EmelioFahrlanger »

There should be a high-level index entry for "new posts". All new posts should go in that thread for 1-7 days.

The Forum is way too large now (and full of messages from years ago) to search for a new message. Case in point, the questions I posted today are not shown as new, but my Hello Captain post, which was posted at roughly the same time, still shows as unread. I couldn't even find *my own post* at first because it is buried on the second page of the thread under a slew of stickied threads from 2017 or earlier, and isn't even marked as new.

So my questions have not even been read once, but my hello post has been read twice. And the hello post still shows as new, while my unanswered questions appear to have been read, even though they never were. If both messages were shown under the "new post" header, it would be simple for a player to see both posts.
Coops
Site Admin

Re: Recognize New Posts

Post by Coops »

I moved your post out of the Primer Guides section as the location posted in more for 'Guides and Primers' < for new players. It has a ton of stickies and as you pointed out will get buried under them. Here players will find it.

Most of us use the phpbb 'quick links' to read new posts so finding new posts is a doddle. Differnt forums use differtn methods and you can of course some players sign themselves up to sections and get daily digests or seperate emails copied to them, some (like me) use the new posts under quick links.

I'll leave the answering of the main question you posted for players and its more a generalised set of questions that the community can field.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Elkhorn
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Post by Elkhorn »

Hello Emelio Fahrlanger and welcome to CE!

The first thing you want to do is make sure you Log In to the Forums, this will help the system keep track of Read and Unread posts.

When you first start there are a million and one posts available. Start with the Guides and Primers. That will get you up to speed on an overview of the multitude of things available to do in the game.

As CE is a persistent game there is no reset and start over so you will want to read Development and News.

Read Coops Sticky as these are liable to be the most relevant.

Once you have hit the most important ones, click on the Mark Post as Read in each category, then any new posts will highlight red in the icon to the left. When you open the category each unread post icon will be in red. Note: on posts with multiple pages you have to click on the last post in order for it to indicate that it has been read.

Hope this helps.

If you have any questions, please drop by the chat, continue to make posts or email me in game.

Elkhorn
Rule of Acquisition #1 Once you have their money...never give it back!
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

EmelioFahrlanger wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:15 am There should be a high-level index entry for "new posts". All new posts should go in that thread for 1-7 days.
The latest version of the forums software support an extension to display the 'latest' posts. I have this morning enabled the extension and will see what feedback (if any lol) we get.

The block is limited to 8 displayed but you can move through them using the pagination tool.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!