Buying ships and other such items from the CE store with cash

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Sunflowers

Buying ships and other such items from the CE store with cash

Post by Sunflowers »

I want a new ship. No, I'll rephrase that: I NEED a new ship! I have a Monitor which I've kept going for several years by adding cargo expanders and PODs and such like and every so often, when I'm in V-P, I head off to one of the ship stores and drool over the wonderful ships on offer at an eye-watering price which I can't afford - even at a trade-in :( . I know there are player-made ships but I'd be quite happy to support CE by treating myself for birthdays or Christmases to a nice shiny all-singing, all-dancing ship with a cargo hold the size of the universe (those specs could also be tailored to the requirements of other professions, such as fighters and the rest).

I've also maxed out my ship POD points. I've even bought a 10 point increase from the CE Store (currently the maximum available), but I still have most of my POD slots empty and I have to juggle the items in the filled slots in an attempt to balance them every time I change what I want to do. Again, I'd be very happy to buy enough POD points to enable me to fill all those frustratingly empty slots and enable me to cruise around the CE universe without wondering what I can remove and insert and then finding out I need 5 POD points for what I want to use when I only have 2 remaining!
Minds, like parachutes, work best when open.
Korth
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Re: Buying ships and other such items from the CE store with cash

Post by Korth »

The Halloween and Xmas events have pods that are low points but still useful. Event Pods (Olympics and World Cup) are also very good. And until you can get those you can go to a reward NPC and get some of the Reward Program versions of the Event Pods
Lost Queen

Post by Lost Queen »

: )

Some ships are available from the CE Store via a token. I believe all the PM ship parts are there to buy, you still need a player with a ship manufacturing facility to "cook it" for you. On pods, have you gone to the Reward Collection NPC? Those pods are all multi fit, so you can have more than one of each type.

: )
: ) It could be worse. : )
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

Honestly speaking, I'd say the "normal" ships have become basically useless. There might be the odd case of one actually offering something special, but for the most part, there is no reason not to get a PM ship (either via collecting/crafting everything yourself or via the CE store) at the first opportunity.

Maybe someone can come up with a way to make the "normal" ships actually worth considering...
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

Darakhoranon wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:38 pm Honestly speaking, I'd say the "normal" ships have become basically useless.
Some are useful. You can salvage them for resources.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Generally I sit back and let these conversations 'do their own thing' but I feel I have to point out a few things...

Not everyone is mega rich, and can afford nor want to wait for a PM ship or even justify the cost of getting one early on. The non PM' ships are there to fill that void or for those who simply cannot afford the resource or cost of a PM ship.

Please try to remember that we have a lot of causal players, not everyone has resource mountains, or piles of cash. Early level PM ships can be of great use to players giving them a wide choice of options as they work their way towards a PM ship, Simply making blanket statements that 'Normal ships are useless' is a very stinted view and does nothing to help the community or understanding fo the game for new comers.

Lastly, we still sell non PM ships in the Ships store, so not everyone would agree. I certainly don't - support for CE is at an ALL time low and every piece of support no matter how small helps.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and CE is set up to give payers options at every turn. So please a little less kicking the hull plating whilst enjoying the upper shiny echelons of CE's Ship building empire.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

Well, that DOES surprise me, Coops. I wouldn't really expect the more casual players - who might find the "normal" ships in the store worthwhile - to be all that likely to actually buy them. Not that I could be realistically called anything but a "casual player", so "PM ship" and "casual player" definitely can be used in the same sentence... ;-)

Anyway, my basic point still stands: After a certain point in the game (i.e. when you can afford a PM ship), there is little reason to get a "normal" ship as far as I can see.
So maybe we SHOULD try to come up with a way to turn "PM ship or no PM ship, that is the question" into more than a quote? Maybe some kind of special ability/option that PM ships do NOT offer?
After all, if those of us who can afford PM ships also had an interest in getting a nice selection of different non-PM ships for our hangars... ;-)
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Indeed had you said :
Darakhoranon wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:03 pm Anyway, my basic point still stands: After a certain point in the game (i.e. when you can afford a PM ship), there is little reason to get a "normal" ship as far as I can see.
I would have needed say nothing, my concern was a senior player stating clearly
'Honestly speaking, I'd say the "normal" ships have become basically useless.'
New players tend to survey the most current threads especially those with replies from old hands and take most of the replies as gospel. My point was to add counter balance :)

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

Coops, are you seriously implying my posts are not perfectly balanced?!?

HERESY!

:D

On a slightly more serious note:
Before we run off on odd tangents, would it even be conceivable from a coding point of view to e.g. "upgrade" non-PM ships in some way? Or would it be better to instead think about some kind of "non-PM ship only" equipment/pods?
Kaloseidos

Post by Kaloseidos »

I just wanted to emphasize the "as far as I can see" from Darakhoranon.

Darak...don't forget the reasons you cannot see. I am about to get a new ship, from the store. I am high enough to get a PM ship, but Im not ready. I do not have the resources available, not even sure I know anyone who makes them (not a big deal, but still) and I really have a thing for being self sufficient. I happen to like my store bought ship, which is what I am in now, and, like I said, am about to upgrade through the store. I play every day, I do a lot, I don't think I'm a casual player. Maybe I am, but to me, it still worth spending the money to get my upgrade this way, so I can concentrate on the other goals I have right now, other game objectives. I have looked into PM ships, for me, I am happy this way.

re Sunny's suggestion...I am for a hold the size of the universe...party in the cargo hold!! but really, I don't know if coops could do it, but maybe a way to switch out our ship gear with a personal preset list? like...being able to put on what I use for mining with one click, or my battle gear..click, salvage time! It would still be changing things out, but would take less time and not have you frustrating yourself looking for that one thing...I know I always forget it :D