New Ship Type

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
SpaceBucks

New Ship Type

Post by SpaceBucks »

I am not sure if anyone ever suggested this, but has anyone ever requested the addition of passenger liner type ships; both store bought and player made?

I think that a ship of low HP, high energy and cargo volume along with an automatic amount of passenger room would be an interesting addition to the game. Personally, I think that passenger movement is highly under rated and valued in-game.
People are what move economies and they need to get from point A to B all the time.

Any thoughts?

Anyone want to razz me for my idea?

If you like it, how about considering the "omni-class" cabin that I mentioned about a year and a half ago, but as part of the new ship design. Since a "pleasure" craft/cruise ship would want to be full all the time, they would naturally accommodate any class, and species all the time.
The coding would not be horrible for Coops. There would simply be a total ticker instead of three individual class tickers, unless he wanted to make it more complicated to make the players work harder for their passengers.

Okay, I am dome for now, talk among yourselves. :)
Last edited by SpaceBucks on Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpaceBucks

Re: New Ship Type

Post by SpaceBucks »

And how about this, the first ship type without a shield slot.
Allowing the empty slot to be a wild card slot.

Oh, and to help Coops out, here are some model names from Winnebago: VISTA, SIGHTSEER, VIEW, SUNOVA, and SUNSTAR. Last but not least the name Vista Cruiser which is a super cool name for a luxury liner, taken from the now dead Oldsmobile division of GM.

Last edited by SpaceBucks on Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jager 602
CE Official Supporter

Post by Jager 602 »

A passenger liner sounds interesting; I haven't experimented with the passenger pods and have only the one passenger cargo expander, so I'm not one to be able to comment on it much. I think it should have classes- any RL ship now large enough to make the distinction does.
A plaque on both your horses.
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Post by jcheung »

if anything, i would say low cargo space (pax liners irl don't have a lot of cargo capacity [after all the cargo that is people's overweight luggage] after being loaded up)
and while replacing the shield with, say, another cargo expander (maybe limit that to pax cabins), i feel like that would a a looooot of work...
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

I'd love that idea, but It would make pass hauling way too profitable. One pass triad gives income as 110 cargo (for me, including guild bonuses). So luxor 3 for lvlv 70 gives income as 1000 cargo expander. well, slightly less, say 800, but is is still way more than any Cargo expander. If you replace Shield with Pass Cabin, and reduce Ship Cargo to 0, it would be still more profitable for almost any level.

Perhaps if you set cargo on permanent zero, so no gain from pods, specials and so on...
I'm fan of pass hauling, but it is already very profitable, and biggest trick is not to make it too powerfull.
SpaceBucks

Post by SpaceBucks »

Well, the thing is I was patterning after large cruise ships, not private yachts.
In real life, cruise ships actually do carry certain cargo types along with passengers on trans ocean runs.
It is unfair to say no cargo at all. Indeed, a cargo of 1000 is ridiculous, but not a 300, 400 or 500. Plus, you need to allow the ship to also be used for mining, as well as derelict/planetary expeditions.

A passenger expander, still allows for a sizable cargo hold when you are carrying (9x3, and 20x3) passengers.
I know I hit Ashar and Wesbec when carrying people.
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

You missed my point, I guess. Long range haul with two pass Cabins and ZERO Wesbec would give more cr than Best Hauler Ship plus Best Cargo Expander, for any level higher than, say, 38 (even including you do part of the run half empty). So you have to have some disadvantage, like no mining in such Ship, or no derelicts. It would be unfair to other players, haulers, but other professions too, to have a ship which can make so many cr in one run.

I guess, If such Ship would be introduced, I'd want it, and I'd have some smaller Ships to mine and derelict across galaxy, lol.
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Post by jcheung »

SpaceBucks wrote:Well, the thing is I was patterning after large cruise ships, not private yachts.
sorry, i was basing off of aircraft... not seagoing vessels.
Jager 602
CE Official Supporter

Post by Jager 602 »

Well maybe the principle is not that different between the two; any vessel that carries people, aircraft or boat, uses a lot more of it space on the people than it does on the cargo. Therefore, relative to the number of people this vessel could carry the amount of cargo should be small but not nonexistent. Maybe a significantly reduced amount of cargo, or maybe these vessels automatically can carry a certain number of people before applying cargo expanders. Instead of 600 cargo say maybe 100 cargo plus X amount of passengers of each class. I'm not sure of what numbers will work to keep game balance, but if it could be programmed this way then maybe a ship like that would work.
A plaque on both your horses.
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

Post by Sukayo »

Hm, i ask myself how such a ship will help - with the new introduced passenger cabins it is possible to stay or overcome a max cargo capacity outfit nearly at every level with union business, with a bit more time needed to get a full load.

At the top line with the Emissary suite, all Pod points used with those nice pods from olympics/WC and reward program, and a PM ship with maximized cargo space it is hard to imagine that a liner would be better.
And what about alien passengers?

Also the reduced amount of cargo space - i cannot equip my +655 cargo expander, or the +700 expander, when having the suite equipped.
Also - IMHO 20/20/20 passengers is somehow a maximum between income and time spend to fill it. At the plus side is that even with 80% filled it is at the same level like cargo maximized income wise..