Suggest a Competition

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Shinter
Retired Staff

Re: Suggest a Competition

Post by Shinter »

The idea I've come up with is sort of a mix of the recent Coops Challenge with the various Guild Bonus specials. The general idea is a Festive Fund-raiser to support the local orphanages or some other worthwhile in-game charity (along the lines of the Salvation Army, for those familiar). When the competition starts, players have to visit a local festive office and pick up a new Special item, which is their fundraising device (modeled after the existing Guild Bonus special items). Once equipped, they just play as normal, and their device automatically deposits credits based on their in-game profits. This can be a percentage skimmed off the top (more of a donation-style competition), or work like the Guild Specials where you just produce extra income as you play that goes towards the fund. So, you drop off some cargo and get your payout, and a percentage of it gets added to the overall fund.

We would need to expand on the existing Guild Bonus specials somewhat so that they gather credits for many in-game activities, not just the specific one(s) they are currently built for, but otherwise I'm imagining them working in a similar way, but instead of donating to your guild, they donate to the server goal. As a slight alternative, the credits get added to your own personal Charity Box, which you then have to personally deliver back to the Festive Office before the deadline to get your funds counted toward the goal. You obviously wouldn't be able to ever access those funds for your own personal use, but this would involve a bit more direct player involvement in the project, and could also let players compete with each other if they wanted. We could even make it more of a guild competition - the funds get added to a Guild total, and then someone from the Guild would have to make sure things were eventually deposited to the overall goal, but this would let guilds compete against each other. Lots of ways this could be run. Maybe if you reach certain personal goals (level-bracketed, of course), or guild goals, you get some reward for your contributions, like a Sochi Device-type of thing, or some other added benefit (+1 Pod Point, for instance).

To make the whole thing actually fit into whatever festive event that is happening for, equipping the fundraising device would provide a visual impact on the game-screen (sorry, VI-players :( ), adding holiday-appropriate graphics throughout, similar to the Christmas taggers. Possibly even just a holiday color scheme for some of the main in-game control bars and promenade windows, or even just a set of holiday-themed Avatars.

A few last minute notes: Since you have to opt in, it will involve a lot more player interaction, trying to get everyone to participate and spread knowledge about the competition. If it's guild-based, that could get a lot of good guild-based interaction. If we have the credits skimmed off the top of a players profits, that would require players to personally choose if they want to make that sacrifice, rather than being a automatic, but would also make players work harder especially if working toward getting some personal goal.

Anyway, there's my basic outline, a lot of which can be added to.
Elkhorn
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Post by Elkhorn »

Journeyman Challenge.
How far can you go? You may do this with any cargo, Ashar, Wesbec, Union or even empty. The goal, to visit every system in Sphere, Furnace, Anvil, Forge and Verec-Per. (Would that be too hard to track?).
Elkhorn
Rule of Acquisition #1 Once you have their money...never give it back!
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Some stonking good ideas here Guys, keep them coming. I'm making notes, taking names and generally putting these in the dark damp mixing pot, commonly called my mind :)

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Moonblade
CE Official Supporter

Post by Moonblade »

The 1st coops challenge worked really well as it involved all players across a broad spectrum of professions all contributing to a common goal. Why not combine this format with a story driven threatening event in more specific locations , that requires all players to work together to fend off the danger ?
For example : the AI forces have launched a major military offensive in the Jaster/descarte/bedlam systems in a bid to take over a planet to serve as a forward base for further invasions. In order to repel this attack certain goals must be met -
Destroy x amount of ships in the region.
Salvage x amount of wrecks in that area to prevent AI from reclaiming tech/military hardware.
Transport x passengers from the area and surrounding systems. Civilians must be evacuated. Union pilots there u go.
Mine x amount of resources anywhere. FOM has contracted with defensive forces to provide the sudden demand for resources.
Explore x derelicts in the area. Wounded personnel must be rescued from wrecks and hostiles captured and brought in for interrogation.
Haul x cargo to affected galaxy from surrounding galaxies to aid logistical effort. Wesbec/ashar/valoren assisting in operation.
Do x courier missions in support of intelligence operations.
When all goals are met, invasion is repelled, server wide reward !
The events can rotate to different galaxies each time to be fair to all players. Instead of limiting activities to 2 or 3 systems maybe that whole galaxy can be drawn into the event.
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

More activities in Coops challenge - Courier, Crafting Courier, Goods deposited to Genesis planets, Goods deposited to AI Galactic research, Combat missions, etc :)
von Wolfenbitten

Post by von Wolfenbitten »

Do we have any active pirates anymore since Mentlcase seems to have bailed?

COuld include them in this kind of thing if there are enough of them.
Formula 1 - the Pinnacle of Lying, Cheating, Stealing, Political Backstabbing, and hypocritical whining on Wheels. [imho]
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

von Wolfenbitten wrote:Do we have any active pirates anymore since Mentlcase seems to have bailed?

COuld include them in this kind of thing if there are enough of them.
A few and relatively low level, I guess (and short glimpse on stats portal).
Rexx Shredd

Post by Rexx Shredd »

Shouldnt there be a "Design Rexx's Speedo" competition? For example, you can use existing materials (long-range missiles, fashion clothing, etc) to accomodate all the perfection of my anatomy.......The downfall to this is that some of you may get very excited and dreamy and may falter in some of your everyday activities by the distraction that my physique invokes
Rexx Shredd

Post by Rexx Shredd »

How about a Rexx Rap Song Competition? Write a fleek rap song that worships me as CE's "Original Gangsta" and set it to a beat, yo.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

OK, I needed a sit down and a rest after catching up with Rexx's suggestions - wonderful though they are :)

Still reading and making notes Folks. So if you have an idea for a Competition long or short, Big or small - place digital pen to paper and let us have it. (the idea) in case Rexx is reading :)

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!