GRAV SLEDS

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
SpaceBucks

GRAV SLEDS

Post by SpaceBucks »

Hello,

I originally posted a player buy/sell ad for a medium grav sled based on the description that it is twice as good as a small one (4% versus 2%.)

What occurred was a long thread of folks sounding off whether or not the medium and large grav sleds are at all worth the effort and money to create. (the consensus is that they are worthless.)

Does someone have the actual formula for grav sleds (and space suits and tools?) Do the bigger ones actually net better or bigger finds while exploring? What does "efficiency" make better during exploration???
And where do you get them? I have been told that crafting a medium or large grav sled is near impossible.
aRJay
CE Official Supporter

Re: GRAV SLEDS

Post by aRJay »

SpaceBucks wrote:Hello,

I originally posted a player buy/sell ad for a medium grav sled based on the description that it is twice as good as a small one (4% versus 2%.)
<Snip>
Does someone have the actual formula for grav sleds (and space suits and tools?) Do the bigger ones actually net better or bigger finds while exploring? What does "efficiency" make better during exploration???
And where do you get them? I have been told that crafting a medium or large grav sled is near impossible.
You get them by engineering one (not crafting) which requires a PA as well as the blueprints, or asking here or in game for somebody with the blueprints and a PA to build one for you.
I suspect the near impossible comes from this. Two thirds of the parts for all the Grav Sleds are the same the larger sleds just require greater quantities (one of the components for those parts is hard to find) the other third is a different resource for each Grav Sled the ones for medium and large are only found in small quantities as combat or settlement loot. Back when these were newly released the prices offered on the GBM where 100 times higher than they are now.

Aside from the Devs (who don't usually talk mechanics) I doubt any one knows exactly what the formula is.

My take is this, all your derelict equipment has an efficiency bonus this is cumulative so the better the equipment the higher the total bonus, this bonus improves your chances of success in all activities you undertake in the derelict, not just those the equipment is used for. Which is why during the recent (& previous) flag hunting event I was exploring derelicts with planetory exploration tools fitted rather than the derelict tools as I have a better set of the former.
Lvl 114: Settlement Diaspar (L6): Guild Intelliquest

"For scientific leadership, Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton."
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

SpaceBucks wrote: Does someone have the actual formula for grav sleds (and space suits and tools?) Do the bigger ones actually net better or bigger finds while exploring? What does "efficiency" make better during exploration???
Not impossible, but costly. But having PM Ship (HTxLs) and Settlement (resources) makes those things easier.
Bigger Tools - yes, there is difference. With best tools I'm able to retrieve half of HTxL I find. with weakest combination - around 10%, (more or less, both values). btw, Archeological tools are more efficient.
Better Derelict weapon - Don't try it without best gun (Needler) - waste of precious ammo.
Better Armour - I don't know, I don't use one.
Better o2 bottles - I use biggest, I don't care about bonus.
I did not create data about Sled or Suit - Suit is relatively cheap, so no hestitate.
Medium/Large sled is not important until you have 1000 CQC kills. I don't know If one can retrieve all loot from killing two guys.
SpaceBucks

Post by SpaceBucks »

I have asked aRJay. I have been told that I am wasting my time, or that I will not get one because there are no parts or prints for bigger sleds.

I do have a few additional points to make:

In the CEDR descriptions, it states that Archaeology Tools only work while on a planet. This should mean that they will not work in space on a derelict.
Yet, everyone tells me to use Archaeology Tools for Derelict Exploring because they get better finds with them, but it does not make any sense reading CEDR. They should not work at all on a derelict.

Also, the consensus is that a large and medium grav sled can only be used on bigger derelicts, but the descriptions in CEDR do not corroborate what people are saying.
By this token, the Zane Space Suit is a complete waste of money as well.

Are folks taking advantage of flaws in the system, or are they under the wrong understanding?

I am understandable confused.

COOPS, if you have a moment, could you please chime in on this subject.

Thank you!
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

Post by Sukayo »

I use a large sled with the small collar, so any piece of this equipment can be used in every derelict you are able to dock with.
And if you do CQC, then you see how archaeology tools work on derelicts, you will miss the efficiency boost from the derelict tools.
aRJay
CE Official Supporter

Post by aRJay »

SpaceBucks wrote:I have asked aRJay. I have been told that I am wasting my time, or that I will not get one because there are no parts or prints for bigger sleds.
Send me a PM in game I certainly have the blueprints.
SpaceBucks wrote:In the CEDR descriptions, it states that Archaeology Tools only work while on a planet. This should mean that they will not work in space on a derelict.
Yet, everyone tells me to use Archaeology Tools for Derelict Exploring because they get better finds with them, but it does not make any sense reading CEDR. They should not work at all on a derelict.
They don't work as tools on the derelict, you cannot use them for their intended or any other purpose, however the % efficiency bonus seems to be calculated based on all the items equipped not just on the ones being used at that time. Lugging the wrong tools around might improve my efficiency but it does mean I cannot recover items using those tools.
SpaceBucks wrote:Also, the consensus is that a large and medium grav sled can only be used on bigger derelicts, but the descriptions in CEDR do not corroborate what people are saying.
By this token, the Zane Space Suit is a complete waste of money as well.

Are folks taking advantage of flaws in the system, or are they under the wrong understanding?

I am understandable confused.

COOPS, if you have a moment, could you please chime in on this subject.

Thank you!
I think a wrong understanding.

The Grav Sleds and Zane Suit are usable on small derelicts, I am using them on such derelicts. Docking collars are limited as to the maximum size of derelict they will work with and you are limited by your explore XP as to which collar you can have. I have a nagging memory that some of the derelict tools (definitely not the sleds) are also XP limited though I might be thinking of the scanner.
Last edited by aRJay on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lvl 114: Settlement Diaspar (L6): Guild Intelliquest

"For scientific leadership, Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton."
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

aRJay wrote: The Grav Sleds and Zane Suit are usable on small derelicts, I am using them on such derelicts. Docking coolers are limited as to the maximum size of derelict they will work with and you are limited by your explore XP as to which cooler you can have. I have a nagging memory that some of the derelict tools (definitely not the sleds) are also XP limited though I might be thinking of the scanner.
I didn't found any such tools (yet), but you get some rewards when you get Faction XP :)
Zoorland

Post by Zoorland »

Archaeology (planetary exploration) tools give a better % bonus to all actions than do the derelict tools of the same "level." However, archaeology tools can not be used to remove HTxL or other items from derelicts. You still gain the % bonus when doing other actions, but the tools themselves do not function on derelicts. So if you want to remove HTxL and other items from the Tool section of derelicts, you have to use the derelict tools. If you don't care about those items, keep the archaeology tools equipped.

All grav sleds work no matter what derelict or planet you are on. I am currently using a Large grav sled for the 6% bonus it gives, and I promise you it works everywhere. However, people are not wrong when they say that medium and large grav sleds probably are not worth it. You have to understand, the resources they require are very rare and thus very valuable. The small increase in efficiency they provide is really not enough to justify the cost in most cases. Especially not if you're building it for someone else. Yes, I engineered one for myself, but if someone else wanted me to engineer a Grav Sled (Large) for them I would either require they provide most or all of the 690 Katacton Plating (and possibly some of the HTxL) themselves, or I would charge an exorbitant price for it.

I'm serious, I usually give great prices on engineering most pods or other items, but I would not recommend my services for engineering high level grav sleds or derelict/archaeology tools.

The Zane suit is relatively cheap and easy to create, making it much more reasonable. The Refined Ceromite is still quite rare, but you also only need 50 of it (as opposed to the quantities of the resources required for larger grav sleds). I personally do recommend investing in the suit.

I agree with aRJay on the efficiency bonus. It improves, by a small but noticeable amount, your success at everything you do on a planet or derelict. A higher efficiency bonus increases the frequency (and possibly quality) of positive events while moving between derelict (or planet) locations or when searching the location you're in, it increases the likelihood of finding matches in the hacking (derelict) or scanning (planet) match-three sections, it increases your likelihood of success when removing items from a derelict with or digging up archaeology treasures with tools, and it very slightly improves your accuracy during combat on derelicts or planets.