Mech combat

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
zoolii

Mech combat

Post by zoolii »

This is normal that I lost 5-6 combat and win 1 ?
I think I finish with this, I'm not nervous about this. And it's not even worth it .

Zoli
Tye Dagget

Re: Mech combat

Post by Tye Dagget »

Does that mean you don't want to buy all the Mech parts I've got for sale at my Emporium? :P

All kidding aside, Mech battling can be sort of random. Sometimes you'll win or lose several games in a row. Try using Jump A.I. and ballistic weapons; it seems to improve your win ratio somewhat and after you build up a few points, you can field more than one Mech at a time, which also helps your odds of winning.

For my part, I recently decided that Mech battling just wasn't for me (mostly because I don't like babysitting the Mechs while they fight, in order to yank them from the field before they become scrap), so now I'm trying to sell my considerable stockpile of parts.
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

Post by Sukayo »

Also check the components available. It is highly possible that the mechs your mechs are facing in the areana are having the best or close to the best outfit equipped. Do you have the same outfit, or are you just starting?
For starters it is hard to win with the basic outfit, for that congrats for your 1 Win. It is luck you need to win against mechs with better equipment.
Rexx Shredd

Post by Rexx Shredd »

zoolii wrote:This is normal that I lost 5-6 combat and win 1 ?
I think I finish with this, I'm not nervous about this. And it's not even worth it .

Zoli
As hott as I am as a supermodel, I am probably one of the worst Mech players :D

I'll say this much -- don't expect many wins with basic mech starter gear....look for Regen armor and better weapons. You can barter for these in Svens/Boris.
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

Since getting mech parts isn't really hard, I wouldn't worry about losing mechs. I usually just put together mechs more or less randomly and drop them into the arena - either they shoot something or they get shot. Of course, I only rarely buy any mech parts, either (only if I e.g. need certain parts to use up what I have in my ship's hold).

Oh, and Tye, the mech points don't matter, they only unlock the bravo and charlie sectors (and they are locked again if you lose points). What matters for the number of mechs you can have/deploy is your mech commander rank, which depends on the number of mechs killed. So essentially, send in as many mechs as you can and hope for the best...
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.
Tye Dagget

Post by Tye Dagget »

Ah. Well, its been a good long while since I mech battled. I guess I was remembering it differently. Thanks for the correction. :)
Zoorland

Post by Zoorland »

You can't blame me this time, I'm retired! ;) ... *sigh* :cry:

Mech combat with the basic starter equipment is just an exercise in throwing away a perfectly good chassis... as I had mentioned in a previous suggestion thread. If you can gather up enough Salvage items to trade in at Sven's / Boris Barter then you can quite easily get your hands on some Regenerative Armour and Adv Weapons that will make your mechs far more viable. Not exactly cheap (much cheaper than trying to craft those ridiculous things, though), but an effective way to remain competitive in mech combat.

If you're stuck (or determined) only using the basic gear, Mech Armour Ablative Rev 4 and Mech Starter Weapon Pack 1 [KIN] on a Predator chassis with a Jump AI is your best bet, but against Regen armour and Adv weapons you're facing a losing battle.

If you're already using Mech Armour - Regenerative S4 and Mech Adv Missile Pack 5 [EX] (Kinetic are superior on the basic weapons, but missiles are the superior version of Adv, in my opinion) on a Raptor 2 chassis with a Basic AI, then like was said, mech combat can still just be very random. Back when I partook, there would be days when I would drop a few mechs in, lose all of them, and then just quit for the day. Some days you just lose. A lot. And there's nothing you can do about it, really. So, I guess that would be my suggestion; if your first few combats for the day are all losses, just consider the whole day a loss and try again tomorrow. Trust me, for every day you lose twelve mechs with only two wins to show for it, there's one day with five wins and five losses and another day with eight wins while only losing two mechs. If you're judicious about which days you choose to really commit to mech combat, you can rack up a pretty impressive win-loss record.

And, of course, those recommended mech builds are just my suggestions, they are not the only way. Try playing around with the Light-Foot mech chassis, you can get some real winner builds with those as well. And don't feel like you can only use Starter Weapon Pack [KIN] or Mech Adv Missile Pack 5 [EX], either. All the weapons work, and I've used all eight with varying regularity, those are just, in my experience, the most reliable.

But, yes, mech combat is not for everyone. If, in the end, you simply don't enjoy it... there are plenty of other things to do in Core Exiles. :)

Seriously, though, all of you guys had better start winning. The Staff have nearly caught up to us in wins again! Don't make me come out of retirement to show you whipper-snappers how it's done. :p
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

Well, I have 20 armour and 20 weapon packs lying around but neither chassis nor AIs... So I can't really do much right now. :D
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

zoolii wrote:This is normal that I lost 5-6 combat and win 1 ?

Zoli
I see your getting better :) a dozen kills in the last Five days. As others have pointed out the Mech Zones are for fun, if you don't enjoy them option is simple ;) As for winning there are some old hand here who will tell you its about numbers and patience.

In the last Month I've lost about 600 mechs in the Arena's to the players.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

Darakhoranon wrote:Well, I have 20 armour and 20 weapon packs lying around but neither chassis nor AIs... So I can't really do much right now. :D
Aswer is easy - craft them :P