In Memoriam of Mentlsback

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
mentlsback

In Memoriam of Mentlsback

Post by mentlsback »

This is probably one of the hardest forum posts I've ever had to make... apologies in advance if I'm breaking any rules by doing this, but I think the forum deserves to know.

This is Mentlsback's son posting. I wanted to let you guys know that he passed away peacefully in his sleep last month on November 4th.

For those who didn't know him... My dad was a highly intelligent and deeply kind individual. He had a quirky and dry sense of humour, and was such a hard worker he started at age 16 and kept going until his back broke. He built cabinets, trained horses, raised show cats... above all else, he loved my mom, and me, dearly. He would do anything to make my mom happy, and stayed devoted to her until the day he died. He was the kind of person who always believed in doing the right thing, even when it was the hardest thing to do.

He also loved space. He was a citizen scientist, helping NASA locate stars over the web. He was an avid reader of sci fi, some of those books I now own. When I was young we would talk often, with great excitement and fascination, about what the future held. As I got older we started talking less and less often.

I'll never stop wishing I could talk to him again.

I don't think he ever expected to live to see space travel for himself, but I imagine this game gave him something close. I know he really loved this game and he talked about Coops and all the rest fondly, so I figured the people here deserved to know.

I've been meaning to let you guys know sooner, but I've had a lot on my plate, so I hope you guys can understand why it took so long. He was the kind of person who, when I asked him what he wanted his burial arrangements to be, told me to "throw his casket in the ground and pee on it", so idk if he'd want me doing this, but you can say your goodbyes here, or in this thread. I personally think he deserved to be remembered but... heh, for all I know he could've been the biggest troll on the forum...

Idk what to do about this account, I kinda want his memory to be preserved in some way, but I guess I'll leave it up to the mods to decide. It might be a while before I can check this thread because this is still really hard for me, but in the meantime, for y'all who knew him, feel free to share your stories and memories and stuff. I miss him deeply already, and I know he wouldn't *like* to be missed, but I bet others out there do too...

Rest well among the stars, captain Mentlsback.
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Pterrodaxo
CE Official Supporter

Re: In Memoriam of Mentlsback

Post by Pterrodaxo »

Sorry to hear of your loss. I can't gaurentee it, but I know Coops does make player references a part of CE as he is always expanding the game and in need of names for things.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

You have my deepest condolences. He had been with us since the 8th July back in 2015. I'm sure his friends and guild mates here will have much to say about him he sounded like a great guy who enjoyed his life.

When requested we can pay homage to past fallen players, so if you wish, please when you feel up to it contact me and I will chat with you and work out a format that is agreeable.

Again my condolences on your loss.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
MadMaxxx
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Post by MadMaxxx »

My deepest condolences to you and your family. I considered Mentlsback as my friend in game as we did chat a bit and done few trades etc.
Really sorry to hear of your loss and i can guarantee, he will be remembered by me and iam sure by many that play this game and had interactions with him.

Rest well among the stars my Friend, you will be missed.

Mario (aka MadMaxxx)
Last edited by MadMaxxx on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceBucks

Post by SpaceBucks »

I can say that I did indeed enjoy playing CE with Mentlsback. He had a great wit, and was fun to banter with on many occasions.
He would give flack when he could but was also very caring when he found a new player making errors. His reach felt well beyond folks in his guild.
Jim really made CE feel like a friends and family game. I am sadened by hearing he is gone.

My condolences to all who loved and knew him well. He will be missed.

All my best to Jim's family,

Mike (aka SpaceBucks)
Lutes
CE Official Supporter
Location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK (from Belfast originally)

Post by Lutes »

That is very sad news indeed. I can't say that I knew Mentlsback well, beyond bargaining with him for elusive items and trading with him occasionally. I'm sure his fellow guild members knew him much better than I. Thank you for sharing your personal memories and letting us know of the type of man he was - his qualities and interests - his sense of humour and caring nature. I think many of us share his fascination of space; it's something we all probably have in common.

Please accept my sincere condolences. May your memories of him never fade.

Tommy (aka Lutes)