Interesting times to live in China

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
Shadow

Re: Interesting times to live in China

Post by Shadow »

Not sure if this post will go through

For the past 2 days all foreign websites have been locked down - even my VPN is blocked

No one here has news from outside

I have been trying to play this game but I get half a page loaded and the game just stops

I seem to have a 20 minute window from around 6.00am to about 6.20 when a full page will load but oh so slowly

The figures (for what they are worth because no one here believes them anyomore) are also ahhhh now blocked

The last I had been able to find were

Confirmed - 66582
Suspected - 8969
Death - 1524
Recovered - 8566

Hope you all have fun playing the game - lucky you
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Good to hear from you Shadow, sorry to hear that lock downs are even worse than they were initially (and normally).

Glad to see that you and your family are ok, keep on stopping in and reporting, we appreciate your posts..

Best Wishes

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Sunflowers

Post by Sunflowers »

The latest I've heard is that, like flu, it may fizzle out when the warmer weather arrives. I hope so, anyway and I hope you and your family and friends stay safe.
Minds, like parachutes, work best when open.
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

Hi all, thanks for the kind wishes.(my wife and I and the two cats are locked at home doing well with lots of cuddles)
Wifi and foreign websites came back yesterday - no reason given for what happened.

Latest figures
Confirmed - 74291
Suspected - 5248
Death - 2009
Recovered - 14676

So over the past several days it looks like less and less people have come down with the virus

BUT

One very troubling issue is that the govt is pulling doctors and nurses from all provinces to be moved to Wuhan.

Latest figure we had been informed was that over 2000 of the docs and nurses already fighting the virus had been confirmed as having it

That 2000 came after just 2 days notice that the numbers were 1500

Lastly, many people are being turned away from hospitals as they have no room for more and/or they have no more testing kits

Stay safe all

(we did see a news report that the virus might become like the flu - come around once a year as the new norm)
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

For what these figures are worth

Confirmed - 76395
Suspected - 5365
Death - 2348
Recovered - 20674

I say for what its worth for several reasons,

(1) hospitals here are running out of test kits and people cant even get into a hospital to be checked - thus they arent counted in the numbers

(2) hospitals will not release anyone until they are negative on their second check BUT the govt has already stated that many people are not coming back positive until their 8th, 9th 10th check

Last night I saw for real how serious this is being taken by the govt. Just down the road from us a high rise apartment complex was raided about 11pm last night. One person inside the complex was reported as being positive and every family / every person from inside the building was removed (its about 20 levels high - guessing 4 homes on each level) People ran outside (would you believe most didnt wear a mask but did remember to use their phone to take a video) No one has any idea where they were taken, police, hospital govt havent said boo about it.

Banks have stopped issuing paper money via ATM - they only allow transactions via phone payment now

Can no longer go outside and buy food from shops just outside the gate. We all must stand near the gate (but ahhh not allowed to stand too close to others) and buy a plastic bag of food (mainly different veg)

My wife and I are doing well, I had prepared food and water to last us months (I should have bought more cat food ahhh)

I had told my mum and dad back in Australia to buy face masks and alcohol hand wash weeks ago but it was already nearly all gone

Guys..... please prepare you might not need it but you dont know that yet

we have again be told that this might become a yearly event like the flu

enough for tonight

fly safe all

mech/shadow
mentlsback

Post by mentlsback »

Latest update I can find 79,731 cases, 2,627 deaths, 25,277 recovered.
I've heard people argue that the flu is much worse, but the flu has an incubation period of 3-5 days.
The problem with this virus is its long incubation period. The folks trapped on cruise ships being an example. They may be tested on their last day of quarantine with negative results, but if they thereafter contract the virus it can take another 14 days for symptoms to appear, after they've been released from the ship and travelled on.
This sounds like something that isn't going to end well.
Hope you and your wife (and cats) are secure and well. Know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of CE pilots even half a world away.
All the best - mentl
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Today we were treated to some wonderful news from Beijing

Get back to work!

(yes I understand that we all need money and need to work to earn it)

BUT

at the same time we were all told...

dont eat out!

dont take the bus!!!!! (funny they didnt mention the subway)

this is a very dangerous time and its not safe to eat out or travel on public transport

then the news ended

I was gobsmacked - get out there - but dont do anything when you are out... wow

I wnet for a drive past my university just to check -

huge signs at all gates - no students or staff allowed..

and the security yet again informed me that they have changed all the main door locks so noone (like me) can enter any buildings

so... get back to work... but I cant get into work or do anything when I get there..... and no students are allowed to return

I love this place sometimes... its a big puzzle
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

To all of you here at CE..

Please take extra care with the virus as it reaches out to oh so many countries

Here in China, the number of reports of people who had the virus and were treated only to pick it up again are numerous

Guys and Girls... its very serious

face masks
rubber gloves
alcohol wash (my wife and I use this for hands and keys and door knobs etc after we return home from a shopping trip to the front gate)

I am truly amazed by the number of people I have spoken with in other countries who have stated to me

"we wont get that here"

stay safe all

mech/shadow
Akkamaddi
CE Official Supporter

Post by Akkamaddi »

Shadow wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:35 pm Here in China, the number of reports of people who had the virus and were treated only to pick it up again are numerous
OK, *that* is interesting. Once you get over a virus, I'm not a doctor but I think the antibody production takes a matter of weeks to taper off. I don't know exactly how it works, but you should have a resistance, so the next occurrence should be lessened. (I know that is much less the case for bacterial infections, which is why a cold can wander around family members for weeks.) Given that it's flu season, I'm wondering if the second occurence is a different flu. If the test is an antibody test, you should test positive for at least six months on that. (I welcome corrections if I have this wrong.)
I am truly amazed by the number of people I have spoken with in other countries who have stated to me
"we wont get that here"
One of the "folksy wisdom" phrases that has stuck with me the most in life is one from Ghana:

"Oh, *their* mosquitoes won't bite *me*!"

I will pointedly not go into a long and venomous rant about that aspect of human nature, but it's very dangerous.

Please be careful, and keep up with the updates!
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

Akkamaddi wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:31 am
Shadow wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:35 pm Here in China, the number of reports of people who had the virus and were treated only to pick it up again are numerous
OK, *that* is interesting. Once you get over a virus, I'm not a doctor but I think the antibody production takes a matter of weeks to taper off. I don't know exactly how it works, but you should have a resistance, so the next occurrence should be lessened. (I know that is much less the case for bacterial infections, which is why a cold can wander around family members for weeks.) Given that it's flu season, I'm wondering if the second occurence is a different flu. If the test is an antibody test, you should test positive for at least six months on that. (I welcome corrections if I have this wrong.)
Same Virus, test is for specific virus. It is not clear whether it is second infection, or disease has "silent" phase (so same virus reappear after some time - something like chickenpox virus).
Not a doctor here too.