"NOT" newbie friendly

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
Dan Sinclair

Re: "NOT" newbie friendly

Post by Dan Sinclair »

I am reading old posts as there is a lot of good information buried in these old threads that have never been indexed and put into an actual F.A.Q. of actually frequently asked questions. Since this guy apparently quit the game in about an hour, he won't care that I'm necroing his thread.

I guess this game has changed a great deal in 7 years. I have found it extremely newbie friendly. Well, it was a bit confusing before I started it, but once I started it, I saw the immediate inspirations from Trade Wars, Federation, Engage, and other such 1980s and 1990s text-based space games. I mean, I started this week and I'm already level 5, and already one of the top 10 Ashar haulers of levels 1 to 10. (This worries me that the player base is rather miniscule for me to leap up so quickly, but that's a worry for another day.) Now it's not perfect-- some things in the UI are counter-intuitive and I needed Korth in the Discord to explain them to me, but once you accept that the UI was designed by a back-end person (Coops,) then it all becomes clear. (Front-end UI work should never be done by Back-end programmers; no person has the skill set for both, as front end is an art and back end is a science of writing lots of database fields full of words and numbers.)

While I disagree about the game not being for solo players-- I'm making a nice living as a solo Ashar hauler driving around the galaxy-- I agree that games like this are indeed better for those who are actively involved in the community. As such, I will go to Fieron and look for Jeris Outpost.
Elkhorn
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Re: "NOT" newbie friendly

Post by Elkhorn »

Welcome to the community Dan! The game is very "Solo Friendly". You can do fine on your own. You can join a guild for extra help, but you don't even have to do that. If you speak up in chat there are a number of players who will help with equipment, resources, etc.
Yes, the game is deep and it can be overwhelming. Some players just don't want to engage in chat, ask for help, etc. so yes the game can be "unfriendly", it's just reflecting your, well the poster you were speaking of's, attitude.
Yes the player base doesn't number in the thousands, but most of us are very dedicated to Core Exiles even if some don't log on every day.
Once again, welcome and thanks for the kind words for Coops and CE!
Elk
Rule of Acquisition #1 Once you have their money...never give it back!