Player Market - Your Feedback Required

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
Coops
Site Admin

Player Market - Your Feedback Required

Post by Coops »

OK so a short while ago I posted asking for hands in the air on Settlement Level Seven (Read OVER HERE) This one is a little more in depth and I'd appreciate it if each respondent reads my entry post FIRST - before responding blindly to what I'm sure will become a slightly heated debate :)

Normally I'd have this type of post in the staff area first but I figured this is your game so let you have a say. (or not). :)

Outline : Back in the good old early days of CE we invented the Player Market. It was a method for players to place items up for sale and for players to buy them and go collect them. Over 9 years its turned over 75,246,729,765 credits. A healthy amount by anyone's standards.

Later we added the Player Emporium. A kind of grown up version of a Player Market giving the seller far more control over his sales and the buyer the ability to purchase 'selectively'. We released the Emporiums back in 2014 and since then they have turned over 46,759,367,690 credits. I think we can all agree that whilst there are some 'die hard hold outs' most of us now use the Emporiums.

There are 199 Emporium Stores with just over 3,000 unique sales items on offer. There are 108 Emporiums advertising to be seen on the Galactic Emporium View.

OK, so getting back to the main thrust of this post...

A few days back the Player market dropped to its lowest all time usage with ZERO items on it close to 40+ hours. Today there are 12 items on it being offered by 2 captains.

So my question is - is it TIME to call it a day for the Player Market?

Now I know there was some resistance to the Emporiums to begin with. But I believe over time we have addressed most of the issues players had with it and recently even gave it a new facelift with the addition of the hover info making it even easier to use than before. That's not to say we can't add more TO the Emporiums over time.

One thing I do get thrown at me quiet often is the 'Advertising' issue. This was initially devised by a staffer and later considered a good idea by me. It means that unless you advertise your emporium it won't appear on the GEV. Believe it or not SOME players prefer NOT to advertise. But of course the majority want their items SEEN by the community.

At this time the 'Advertising' can be purchased using Festive Points from the Festive Center or via a single purchase from the CE Store. Also you can increase your sales level if required.

Advertising Permit : I thought perhaps if we were to remove the Player Market we might consider an 'Advertising Permit'. This would be something an Emporium owner would get to advertise their emporium for a set 'Period'. A bit like players purchase PA's for their accounts players would be able to purchase 'Advertising Periods' (to be named and price settled on)

Then those who want a 'Permanent Advertising License' can get them as they do now, and those that want to advertise but don't have enough Festive Points or disposable income to support in a CE purchase can also do so but in game for 'short periods' as they see fit.

This I figure in some measure, might alleviate the issue some players have.

So there we have it. I'll keep an eye on this thread and I'll make my mind up based on the comments and feedback I receive here and in my mail box. I'll also be discussing this with the Staff.

Lastly, there is one issue to consider and that's Settlement with Player Markets Deployed. We would need to compensate those owners with them down (18 at last count). Plus i will need to make changes to a fair few pages that reflect the existing Player Market System.

Comment away - keep it civil and remember just because someones viewpoint is different to your own, it doesn't mean they are wrong :)

For those new here Read the PRIMER ON EMPORIUMS

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
samudra

Re: Player Market - Your Feedback Required

Post by samudra »

I like the Advertising Permit idea, although we can still advertise our emporium in Buy&sell player adv. Some already did that.
I don't mind about removing Player Market. I just use it again (after a long time) before it's gone forever.

sam
Don't underestimate our sniper just because his nose is long..
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

First of all
Coops wrote: At this time the 'Advertising' can be purchased using Festive Points from the Festive Center or via a single purchase from the CE Store. Also you can increase your sales level if required.
Are you sure Advertising is in Festive store? I've never seen it, and I don't see it now. Is it CE Store only?
Anyway, some "Advertising periods" would be extremely useful, if you sell them for Festive points. Hope We'll see more mech on Arena :). No, I'm serious, I'd buy them (or permanent Ad license) if they were available in festive store

And PM - I think it could be deleted :( Rarely used. But, perhaps, you could add one Emporium license to some pemanent Forum/Facebook event, like "show us where you play", or something else, to allow low level players to start Emporiums ( there are long "no festive" periods, after eastern, for example)1
Lord Orion

Post by Lord Orion »

I also never seen the Advertising license in the festive shop... I will run to the Festive Shop as soon as I can to check again and edit this post, since that makes all the difference.
**** Confirmed, only emporium license on the festive store (1500), no Advertising license ******

The "Emporium License" can be bought from Festive Shop, but I don't think that the "Advertising license" can... I would defensively buy one if it was there.

The only advantage I see in PM is the fact that its seen everywhere without needing to buy a CE store license. If the Advertising license will be available in festive shop the only advantage would be not spend festive points, but I think that that can be considered an investment for those that want to be "shop" owners.

Without the "Advertising license" in festive shop the "Advertising periods" could be a workaround, but for me I would prefer a permanent license for festive points.

With the "Advertising license" in festive shop for me the other one would not be needed, I suppose some players would like to try a temporary period before investing in a permanent license, but not sure if they would be that many.

BTW:(probably this is something for another post :$, if so please ignore) Since we are looking at advertising, could we have some advertising for crafters ? :D, something like being able to put a list of schematics the crafter can build (temporary or permanent), info about who supplies the resources, price and so. We have the Adds section, but I think something more specific for crafters could give a little boost to the honorable crafting profession ;) Maybe it would be simpler just to place a new section in the Adds just for crafters with some comboboxes and/or specific textboxes for that info that is commonly needed (RM lvl, price, who supplies resources, etc).
Last edited by Lord Orion on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XPLODE

Post by XPLODE »

Sounds good Coops!
Entropi

Post by Entropi »

I was thinking about building up my festive points to purchase an emporium license but I was undecided about it :?

This is largely because the only way I could see to get an advertising licence was in the CE Store :( I could not find it in the Festive Center either. Not sure it would ever reach a top priority for buying in the CE Store - so much else I need first.

The option to purchase the advertising license with festive points would therefore be a real help :D Even an anarchist like me cannot depend on the odd rogue customer to drop by with no advertising!

Some really fine emporiums out there to help newbies - for which many thanks to those captains who operate them. Helped me a lot :D Would like to do my bit and getting an advertising licence would make that much easier. Few items I wanted are difficult to find so figure that is true for others.

Never used player market - few times I have looked, there has been very little on offer.

So I guess I support the idea. Oops... forgot to toss my coin! Heads .... That's lucky. Phew ;) Still support the idea! Carefully puts double headed coin in his pocket... Sometimes chaos needs a little help :o
MarcSp

Post by MarcSp »

I agree its time to dump the PMs. Perhaps refund the building price back to those sett owners.

As for advertising, I'm not sure how much use a temporary advertising permit would be.
Instead, how about this:
Every emporium gets listed on the GEV - however - those without a advertising license
only get the item listed, but NOT the price - that gets blanked out with ?????? or some such thing.
So everybody can find out about all the "hidden" emporiums out there, but you gotta travel there to
see if its a good deal. This creates incentive for the emporium owners to get a advertising license.
dagarush
CE Official Supporter

Post by dagarush »

I think that if there is an Advertising Option available in the Festive Store, then it is fare to all. I have no issue with getting rid of the PM.

dagarush
Jager 602
CE Official Supporter

Post by Jager 602 »

Personally, I feel that any Emporium shop and advertising would go together naturally. I did not place my shop until I had the advertising to go along with it as well. Back in 2014, you gave every store free advertising for the holiday season, and I felt that was great. Perhaps you could give every new shop placed a free 30 day advertising license to show them how well advertising does for their business? Then, after that, The advertising goes away and the shop owner has to decide whether or not to continue advertising. I think the temporary advertising could work as well, depending on the shop owner's circumstances.

As for the player market, I've only used it once and I did not see really any advantage to it over simply buying from the player's Emporium shop. Actually, I think I only used it so that it would show on my captain status screen that I had actually used the player Market :|
Last edited by Jager 602 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
A plaque on both your horses.
Elkhorn
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Post by Elkhorn »

I understand emporiums...I have a store front, just like I understood the player market. I tend to under utilize both. My personal preference. The emporium locator tells me what's available out there, and I like it. The shutdown of the Player Market wouldn't impact me to any great degree...and perhaps it would open up a slot for something else? I will go with the majority.
Elkhorn
Rule of Acquisition #1 Once you have their money...never give it back!