Things For the Christmas Week - (POST HERE)

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
Coops
Site Admin

Things For the Christmas Week - (POST HERE)

Post by Coops »

We have been here for Ten years now and we tend to have settled into a few patterns at this time of year. One of those being that over the Christmas week we run a CE MECH War (Staff vS Players), Christmas Graffiti, and this year I suspect we can also run a themed Coops Challenge as well but...

I thought I'd ask (in advance) if anyone had any suggestions ? I don't mind taking some time out to code some December Festivities, more aimed at the 10 day period over Christmas week and New Years Eve, but it can spill over if required.

Of course I don't mean whole new professions or anything too outlandish, but if you can think of a Festive activity you think might be a good addition for that time of year 'speak up'.

Always happy to hear suggestions!

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
pikolinianita

Re: Things For the Christmas Week - (POST HERE)

Post by pikolinianita »

My obvious suggestion :) Few new NPC in Settlement. Each NPC (or Each "NPC class" - see below) offer chain of missions, each mission have small reward, finishing chain brings bigger one. Mission texts are quite generic.

Mission type - Combat. There are four "NPC Classes":

class Easy (offers combat mission to LL 10-12)
class Medium (LL 9-7)
class Hard (LL-6-4)
class Hunbaba (LL 3-1)

If you plant, say, 10 "Easy" NPC in all galaxies, there could be 10 different mission chain, or one mission chain, player can pick up/end mission with any easy NPC (one can take mission in Sphere, return gifts in VP, etc).
Mission Text - Bad Pirates took Presents from Santa sleigh, kill, collect lost gifts, return to mission NPC (package collecting missions). To make missions easy I suggest common targets, like pirates, smugglers, etc, not rare ship types.

Option: Few classes AI NPC: easy (Scouts), Medium (fighters), Hard (Heavy Fgtr);
Option: Few classes Alien: Easy (warrior), Medium (Cleric), Hard (Sci);
Option: Ded Moroz have problems too, Ashar/Wesbec/Union ships are to blame! Easy/Medium/Hard/Hunbaba as regular missions.

Master Option: Above missions could be quite random: Collect (random(10)+20) packages from (Choose one of (pirates,raiders,smugglers) in (choose any location with given LL). There are half-random missions already (warloro and atlantica, IIRC), or Courier ones.

And one Option for rule them all - New Categories for Coops Challenge, total Santa Missions finished and Total Santa Mission Chains finished.
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

DId you say Coops challenge? Chrismas themes? so no "pass delivered" category, but "Smiles received", no Ashar delivered but "Small gifts given", no "Ships killed" but... well, here (Poland) bad person get "Rozgi", which means whip or whipping, lol,

Anyway, Small addition, for small reward, Player can get rewards for exactly same categories as for doops challenge (ships killed, Cargo delivered, etc), smaller amounts, say 1/100 of Universe goal, or such. I suspect tracking all stats for all players could be too expensive, so maybe via missions, somehow?
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

It seems that only I think about christmas - Do others still have Halloween HANGOVER? lol,

What about all New System? Strange wormhole appear in Kelsey SuperGate system. Survey drones were sent and were back... covered in Giant Socks? Instruments readings were srange, but mices survied, so brave humans were allowed to jump... And Conquer...

When player Jump, there is single star system, planets are with Santa Hats, Cargo is hauled by Space Renifers, and so on. And A lot of Special NPC on planets, CHristmas mission lines etc.

Option: Santa system accesible from any star system, but player could return to exact system he leaved only (so game has to remember where player start journey).
Option: Chain of Santa Systems, like Expanse. For each Santa Quest player get SantaNavigation points, certain amount of them allow player to fly further.
Option: Santa Raid in Santa Systems, randomly appear, with nice, santa rewards.
Option: SPecial Santa Equipment available as Mission chain reward/ available for SantaTokens (rewards from SantaMissions) - SantaRibblez, SantaCrystals, SantaXPBoosters, SantaBabylon Pods (one less pod point?), SantaPerfumes (Rexx repellent), Santa Mech (wins all battles instantly, Mech Commander 9 required :P ).
Zoorland

Post by Zoorland »

pikolinianita wrote:It seems that only I think about christmas - Do others still have Halloween HANGOVER? lol,
*shakes fist* It's not even Thanksgiving yet, dag nabbit! :x

Run a "Naughty or Nice" contest. Everyone in the game starts out on the Naughty list. Everyone is sent a unique, non-tradeable item. There are NPCs set up around the game that collect this item... for the space orphans, or whatever. If, by midnight on Christmas Eve, you have handed in your item, you get on the Nice list. Everyone who ends up on the Nice list gets some random Festive item. Everyone left on the Naughty list gets a single unit of Ore. Only talk about it on the forum. :twisted: Not that different from some other things we've done in the past, but... I tried to make it thematic, at least.

Decorate the Galactic Tree. Have a collection NPC somewhere easily accessible with a list of "ornaments" to being collected to hang on a massive festive tree. The ornaments in question are Space Debris and Junk Salvage items (maybe R.O.L.F.s too, but *nothing* that overlaps with Lutac, please). If we complete the collection then on Christmas day (and until New Years, maybe? ) launch the Galactic Tree somewhere in central Sphere for everyone to view (a simple icon floating in space is fine, but it would be nice if we could land there... heck, maybe just replace San Gallen's icon with a christmas tree for a day :p ). Send everyone who participated a small reward, and maybe give 500 Fuel or something to the whole server.

Holiday Rush. People need to go home for the holidays and Union is swamped. In the week leading up to Christmas, set a server-wide goal of delivering X number of passengers by Christmas day. If we succeed... I don't know, send everyone in the game an autographed photo of Rexx, or something. Whatever reward you find suitable, I don't know how you balance these things don't look at me like that.
Bloodskye
CE Official Supporter

Post by Bloodskye »

Instead of ships killed, make it Snow Forts Conquered. :)

And I like the naughty and nice list! :twisted:
You read my sig. That's enough social interaction for one day.
aRJay
CE Official Supporter

Post by aRJay »

shakes fist* It's not even Thanksgiving yet, dag nabbit! :x
That's one Dutch holiday we haven't adopted, but I know it went to the Americas with the pilgrim fathers when they left The Netherlands.
Lvl 114: Settlement Diaspar (L6): Guild Intelliquest

"For scientific leadership, Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton."
Rexx Shredd

Post by Rexx Shredd »

I think a few Christmas-themed Derelict Explore ship tilesets would be cool. Crates would have to be collected (like SNARG Missions) to get Christmas Prizes.......We could shoot at elves!....

I still want to reintroduce my idea of MECHBALL (my greatest idea ever!) with a Christmas Themed end-of-the-year Superbowl/World Cup (because its "Football" to Americans and "Football" to the rest of the planet :D )