What Good is a Starbase Anyway?

Named after one of the founding fathers, this Tavern is for Role Playing and general 'in character' discussions. Remember to pay your bar bill!
Elkhorn
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

What Good is a Starbase Anyway?

Post by Elkhorn »

So, I built all the components of a starbase, hoping to sell it off to someone with more money than sense. That was the plan anyway.
I guess I got a little hammered one night and wound up buying a license spot in Krull. Krull? Can you even find that system on a map?
I finally did find it, it’s in Furnace, just one system away from Aurelia.

I took a trip over there to look around. The system has nothing to offer, absolutely nothing. One uninhabited planet, Fabia, and an aging Ark, number 12 if you are interested. It does offer some amenities, like a CSTS and Commercial Storage, a galactic GBM with a single closed storefront, a Joe’s supplies and a Waldo’s Schematics. No pretty nebula, no asteroid belt, nothing.
Fabia is a Seven, Seven planet that is only 6.95% explored. Anyone interested?
Talk about bare bones! I mean the essentials are there, air, unfortunately no pine scent, water, have you ever noticed how tasteless purified water is? The necessary sanitary facilities, rudimentary dining and sleeping quarters, but you're probably better off sleeping on your ship. No shops yet. Oh and it has the uninspiring name of Starbase Archon - 4.
I decided to bite the bullet, throwing good money after bad, and have an additional reactor and a crew quarter module installed (you can see them as you make your approach). No, really folks you CAN see them when you approach into orbit. It's pretty cool.
Since I have it I’ll make a go of it.. “Hey, someone put that fire out! Why aren’t the automated fire suppression systems working?”
“Because they suck all the air out of the compartment, aren’t you supposed to be suited up?”
“Oh, it’s uncomfortable, is it. I didn't bail your rear out of the pen for you to be comfortable.
I certainly don’t need GOSHA (Galactic Occupational Safety and Health Agency) showing up asking questions. And what’s with that weld anyway? You were supposed to have SOME skill at hyper welding. Get that covered up somehow. I don’t need anyone to see that! Get it covered up and get it done now!”
Errr, sorry folks, some administrative duties call.
Rule of Acquisition #1 Once you have their money...never give it back!
Coops
Site Admin

Re: What Good is a Starbase Anyway?

Post by Coops »

/me places bar tender hat on....

Coops (alter ego) sidles up to Elk at the bar, pours himself a bourbon and settles in to the conversation.

I hear the 'powers that be' have been hammering out the policy for how these newfangled Starbases are going to be authorised for promenades. After all, they have a massive promenade capacity, so I suspect they will become a major hub of activity once owners decide on stores and offices. These rumours that the Coalition is even open to the idea of allowing a few unregistered companies to ply their wears on these behemoth floating stations.

Guess time will tell what the guy upstairs can get past the auditors and penny counters...

Fancy a top-up there Elk ?
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Elkhorn
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Post by Elkhorn »

If you're buying!

I hope something breaks loose pretty soon. I've sunk a good chunk of credits into this venture what with the schematics and construction, did it all myself too!

I suppose I'll have to hire a couple three accountants to figure out how to deal with the taxman.

Hmm, just between you and me maybe it's large enough to hide a few less than legal offices tucked away? People sometimes need things that can't be supplied through "official" channels, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the drink and the rumors.

I'll be around.
Rule of Acquisition #1 Once you have their money...never give it back!
Chiron

Post by Chiron »

Your ticket for playing whilst inebriated will be in the mail. Don't forget to appear on your appointed court date.