Salvaging Overhaul

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Slurmewerds
CE Official Supporter

Salvaging Overhaul

Post by Slurmewerds »

With the overhauls to combat and mining I feel it's high time for a overhaul to the salvaging system. I have an idea for a 2 prong approach.
First, it would be nice to have a setup similar to the mining or combat system. Instead of the salvage laser picture, it displays the scanner. You click on the scanner, it's spends 1 unit of fuel and brings up 5 boxes of loot according to what is currently unlocked. Each box you salvage, it uses 1 unit of fuel. Pretty simple.
The second problem is an extremely outdated loot table. But, many captains have worked very hard to unlock the levels they have for certain resources, so simply changing the loot tables would undo a lot of work from many captains as opposed to the combat and mining tables since that was just an upgrade without undoing anyone's work. So my idea would be to make more scanners that would have different loot tables. The standard scanners keep the current loot table and if you equip the new scanner then it would have more modern loot as well as older loot. It would be more for standard salvaging than alien salvaging, since there haven't been alien resources added as much as non expanse resources. That would modernize salvaging as well as giving it another element that might get more captains involved in salvaging.
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Re: Salvaging Overhaul

Post by jcheung »

doesn't each salvage consume more than 1 unit of fuel? or is my memory failing me again?

5 loot boxes doesn't sit well with me, seems like it's... hmmm... too much?
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

You made two suggestions. 1) Increase Loot table and 2) New Interface. So

1) In Expanse I think it just about right, handful Combat Only and plenty of Salvage Only. If you add everything to Salvage why would you do combat, right?
In regular galaxies there is less Salvage Only and more Combat Only, Maybe some extension could be done. I don't see why this would undermine my job, as it was done before (with QMGs and AI resources) and with no problems. oh, I'd have ask others for help with upgrading spreadsheets, lol

2) One problem with it is, that with enough wrecks you could cherry-pick important resources, thus saving a lot of fuel. And wrecks are rarely a problem here. It could works if it would be 10-15 fuel per shot (that is 2-3 per loot window, don't remember exact value), and tractor for free. it would make things a little faster for me (mouse vs keyboard now), but much faster with slow connections. If you add one re-roll for 2 fuel it would be even slower (combat slowed down for me after re-rolls)

and 3), from me, I miss kind of levelling for Derelicts and Raids. Adding some resources here, even one, but useful, and with levelling, could reinvigorate raids on RAIDS :)
Slurmewerds
CE Official Supporter

Post by Slurmewerds »

jcheung wrote:doesn't each salvage consume more than 1 unit of fuel? or is my memory failing me again?

5 loot boxes doesn't sit well with me, seems like it's... hmmm... too much?
With mining you get 5 boxes and each box costs 1 unit of fuel and no fuel to scan and combat you use 1 unit to scan, 2 to fight and 5 boxes for free so it still costs more fuel than mining and twice as much as combat.
pikolinianita wrote:
2) One problem with it is, that with enough wrecks you could cherry-pick important resources, thus saving a lot of fuel. And wrecks are rarely a problem here. It could works if it would be 10-15 fuel per shot (that is 2-3 per loot window, don't remember exact value), and tractor for free.
Your still limited to the wreck tonage so cherry picking would do you no better than it does right now.
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

Slurmewerds wrote: Your still limited to the wreck tonage so cherry picking would do you no better than it does right now.
Wrong. I now need, for example, 1k fuel to pick up 100 units of Important stuff and 900 units of 9 kinds of unimportant stuff. If I Fuel-pay for important stuff only, I'd have 1000 units of Important Stuff for 1k of fuel. I'd need 10x more wrecks, but in Sphere/VP it is not an issue (plenty of kills made by others), in Expanse only little problem (killing is fuel effective). Keep in mind, that in Alien salvage you have 1-2 important stuff among 50 or more items, so it would even more favourable to players.
Slurmewerds
CE Official Supporter

Post by Slurmewerds »

pikolinianita wrote:
Slurmewerds wrote: Your still limited to the wreck tonage so cherry picking would do you no better than it does right now.
Wrong.
lol

I see what your saying, how about 5 boxes, 5 units of fuel per scan, and an additional unit per box salvaged? Would that balance it out more?