Combat Loot nerfed?

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Holiday
CE Official Supporter

Combat Loot nerfed?

Post by Holiday »

I've talked to a few other people about this to make sure I wasn't off my rocker, and come to the conclusion that it isn't just me. as the game has developed and grown over the 4 years I've been playing there has been a multitude of new resources added to allow for more schematics and for a further rounding of CE. derelicts were introduced and with them came derelict specific resources which can only be found exploring. more recently there has been a load of new resources added which can only be obtained through mining, once again giving specific galaxies their own specific resources found in their asteroids.
along with this there use to be combat only resources. things in game you could only find through combat. things that were needed to build things in game that were important. I was MIA from the game for a while, but now that I'm back I've noticed this doesn't seem to be the case anymore. there are things which can only be obtained through combat, but it seems the main use for them is for a select few NPC missions.
I know from reading the forums for years that people use to complain about combat only resources, those who didn't like combat not liking that they couldn't collect certain things in game. the Ip investment to be proficient in combat for someone's level can be expensive, weapon skill, shield skill, drone skill, targeting skill, and scan tech skill. I know some of these overlap, but there is also the cost of building or buying matrix, combat drones, and EBK kits & Omega drones. it is an investment to do combat, and yes the XP can be good if you do it right and love clicking.
what I was wondering was if this was an intentional move away from combat specific resources, or if it was something that has been overlooked when adding new things in other parts of the game. I do understand there are resources you can get from AI's but you can also get those resources from derelicts. I wouldn't ask for mine only resources to be added to combat loot, that makes it worth it for miners, nor for derelict only resources to be added to combat or mining loot, but that each occupation/role in game has their own specific loot. the only thing I can think of which is combat only that has some importance in building currently is cure-all and maybe synthetic silk, but I believe the that one can be found in derelicts and exploring too.
so if this was an intentional move why was it? and if not could it be possible for either combat resources to be used again? or maybe there are so few folks who do combat everyone likes it this way and doesn't want combat only loot anymore 'cause the xp is enough and they don't want to have to buy stuff from those pesky combat people. :)
Holiday
Founder of Tombstone in Tornsul
proprietor of The VP Mercantile
almost allways mostly sober...sometimes
Shinter
Retired Staff

Re: Combat Loot nerfed?

Post by Shinter »

Speaking as a player who has had to move into the combat realm to try to get a bit more of what I need, I don't know that this is necessarily the case. For starters, I would point out that any combat-"only" loot that also shows up in derelicts is not to be feared, as the quantities that can be gathered this way are so small as to not really make any use of them practical.

From my experience, the best, if not only, way to gather some of the most sought-after resources (Cure-All, Terovite Gas, Thracium Gas, to name a few) is through combat, and looking for these things is one thing that has forced me into combat as a side-career. The prices for these items show that there is a shortage of such items, suggesting that combat pilots are in greater demand than ever. If anything, this has forced more pilots like myself into combat, which has likely driven down demand for things like Synthetic Silk or other similar combat loot (the NPC stores obviously don't help here).

I wouldn't object to combat getting some new resources, similar to what has recently happened for some of the other professions, but a) I don't really see that there is a problem, and b) what career is going to want that kind of special attention next? :P

Finally, there are also now a lot of high-demand resources that can primarily be found through salvage, which requires wrecks, which further increases the demand for combat pilots - and if you know what you're doing you get yourself involved in both aspects of that and don't rely too much on finding others unclaimed wrecks (especially the more valuable wrecks - Alien and AI).
Holiday
CE Official Supporter

Post by Holiday »

I understand the logic behind that, especially cuppling combat and salvaging wrecks for additional resources. personally with salvage I haven't got into it as of yet. spending 3 fuel for 2 units of copper ore turned me off pretty fast, that after spending millions on equipment. I know the pay off down the road is good, and I will take it up again after current projects have been accomplished. mainly what I was talking about is allowing for current resources that have been forgotten to be used again. if you browse combat only resources and see what they are used in it's a small list. I miss that feeling of getting excited when i found certain things in game, everyone wanted to find narcotics and cadavers, but now after level 70 or so they are useless. I'm not talking about selling them to others for big profits as i very rarely sell anything because right when i do i find out i need them myself; and I'm jut using those 2 resources as a example not because i want them used in everything. as someone who primarly hauls and does combat, I'd just like to see some things i need in the loot windows. I'm sure if you add up all the new mining resources there are way more of them used in schems then combat loot now a days.
Holiday
Shinter
Retired Staff

Post by Shinter »

I agree that there are a number of combat resources that aren't used for a lot of the newer, higher level crafting projects, but it's also hard to come up with buildings that can be made out of cadavers and narcotics :P Obviously there are other of those resources that are a bit easier to think about using (the same problem arises when trying to think of uses for Flora - metals and minerals are the obvious choice there).

So, it sounds like this is more of a request that existing, common (and un-common) combat-only loot is used in more crafting projects (or other uses, but crafting is one of the big uses for things nowadays). Am I getting that right?
Holiday
CE Official Supporter

Post by Holiday »

yeah, I wouldn't assume or ask that more resources be added to the game, the names give me a head ache...I was just wondering if it was something intentional to limit "combat only" loot in all the schems that have come out recently, or if they were just something which was overlooked as there are so many resources in the game right now. but either way some stuff which is combat only that is as usefull as other resources which can only be found doing other things in game.
Holiday
Hunbaba

Post by Hunbaba »

There is no such thing as combat only loot anymore. Only exception as you already noted is Cure-All. Everything else can/could be obtained in large quantities through other means. Cadavers, narcotics, DCPs... those are all common as food these days. Furnace gasses will follow suit as soon as first sets of high level Rigal scanners are completed.

AI combat never really was something great to start with. While Furnace gasses were obtained faster this way, you had to give up all third window loot for it and fight tougher enemies as their pirate counterparts. Thus not really a boost to combat, more along the lines of something different. Lowering base price of QMG resources significantly didnt help either.

People in general dont like combat. When there are many more of those as combat pilots, you can expect things to shift their way. Sadly it has always been and always will be this way. Combat is not the only example. Alien tech is another one.

Old forum was full of: i want all this shiny stuff but dont want to do what it takes to get it, thus i am suggesting another way (that suits me) to get those resources or asking they arent used in new stuff... Or suggesting new items/extending already existing ones with higher level members of that family such as Tesla reactors for example. Completely ignoring and not even willing to understand reasoning that Alien tech is where all high tech is supposed to be. Thats the reason for making it a pain to get there. Irreversible IP investment, sucking up to aliens for Talas, long training times and very expensive alien certificates.

Anyway, best to do is just adapt to current situation. If combat is not viable for you anymore, start hauling. And run away from anything that is irreversible unless at a gun point :P.