Settlement Warning

A place for Settlement owners and soon to be owners to discuss Settlements. - Love them or Hate them they are a central part of Core-Exiles.
Coops
Site Admin

Settlement Warning

Post by Coops »

Settlements have been a part of Core-Exiles now for a very long time. Settlement Combat nearly as long. Over that time combat has been tweaked and modified slightly and a few rules bought in due to players twisting the logic to see what they could get away with.

Also over time we've had to bring in Morale affecting tickers that ensure that a settlement left untended for long periods of time has a fair chance of being removed due to Staff morale issues.

Upcoming Change

Within the next week we will be activating the Alien attackers in the Expanse. Both those in and out of the Expanse with a settlement should take note. Combat will be pretty much the same but it's important for you to remember to add 'Offensive' weapon systems FIRST. I'm looking at the defences of some of the level 3's atm and either you don't 'care' or are looking to test out what happens.

Changes to the combat for ALL settlements will mean that if you choose to have NO Offensive rating on your settlement the Pirates / Aliens will simply sit in orbit and Obliterate your settlements remaining HP.

This will have a DRAMATIC swing affect in your morale as your staff will loose complete faith in you. Allowing your settlement to have Zero Offensive measures is far from the wisest move.

These changes will come into affect sometime within the next Seven days. So IF you are one of the captains out there currently sat with Zero Offensive settlement capabilities sort it out NOW. You can see your Offensive capabilities from the combat screen inside your settlement command section.

Currently, pirates finding a settlement with this set up laugh their socks off, feel sorry for you and only take SRP and Credits. As per this coming change they will blast you to the stone ages and THEN steal SRP / Credits / Talas laughing as they do so.

Settlement Events

Back when we added Level Six we also added a section allowing for Security, Fire Service and Intelligence to be reported on. This coming November we will be adding Settlement Events. These will of course be Good & Bad. They will take place on a random basis but akin to combat you will never suffer more than one every 48 hours.

Each settlement will be able to place certain buildings and new research options will be added at the time of launch. The events will range from things like Fires breaking out, rise in Settlement Crime, and cyber theft. That's not to say that the good events wont also bring a smile to your lips. It will be up to you to decide which is more important first and then begin to respond to the events as they grow.

Settlements left untended and where events begin to escalate with no 'player settlement intervention' will begin to suffer morale issues.

For those that play on a regular basis and are active this won't pose a problem and in-fact you may find it an interesting facet to owning a settlement. Those settlements out there untended, unloved and unvisited will soon become well known for their problems and I suspect this will hasten their demise.

Players will be able to also see your Security, Fire and Intelligence ratings. This will give the visiting player a good feeling for how your looking after the settlement and should they use the location as a base of operations.

More will be disseminated as we get closer and on launch day I'll post a primer. For now take note of the Offensive change above!

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Achilleos
CE Official Supporter

Re: Settlement Warning

Post by Achilleos »

With regards to the above post on Settlement events - has this been put on hold for the time being as I haven't noticed anything on either of my settlements ?
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Achilleos wrote:With regards to the above post on Settlement events - has this been put on hold for the time being as I haven't noticed anything on either of my settlements ?
Still in the pipe line, got superseded by two other short projects. Don't worry when it comes time to release there will be a Dev Post and a Primer and even some friendly 'here it comes warnings'. Adding an event system to sets is a serious add-on and needs time to ensure it balances at ALL levels.

I'll likely be returning back to th Event code tomorrow when we roll out something new for you to fiddle with over Christmas :)

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Apologies for the delay on this project. I hit a few problems, a diversion and some other unmentionable issues. But I'm working on this currently.

Coopd