Server Planned Down Time

This section covers latest updates and changes within the game. Posts here are made by the Developers and if you only read 1 Section - make it this one!
Coops
Site Admin

Server Planned Down Time

Post by Coops »

Our host has informed us that they need to move our Server to a new section of the Data center. They are upgrading their infrastructure and our server is in the batch that needs to be physically migrated.

This will take place around Midnight on the 25th of this month. Sadly, this period of planned downtime will be approx 4 hours. So that's no access to the Game, Forums, Guides or News Site from 12:00 Midnight till approx 4:00 am Game Time.

There is little I can do about this, and I'll also have to stay up till 4:00am to ensure that the server comes back up smoothly, so you can join me in Discord should your time frame match and want a chat with the CE Dev.

I will be posting this IN Game, so everyone gets the message, and also posting a link via the login portal.

We will of course be running a full server backup (out of the normal backup schedule, which runs twice a day at present.) This will be just prior to the server going offline.

I apologize for the downtime, but it is outside my control.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Coops
Site Admin

Re: Server Planned Down Time

Post by Coops »

Yesterday evening we had an unexpected period of downtime. All CE services were offline apart from the Discord Server. Our hosts it seems had an issue and I spent a period of time on the phone to both Support and Server Support.

Being it was Sunday yesterday, only a skeleton staff was available. Our server was put back online after a few hours. I ascertained that no harm had come to the DB's, and we were promptly back online.

Sadly, at this point in time, I have had no reported reason for this downtime. There is a planned downtime for up to 4 hours this evening, but I have a sneaky feeling someone in the data centre jumped the gun and did the Server move a day early.

As I can't get any info from anyone at this moment in time, we have to prepare for another period of downtime this evening. It may occur or it may not. If I get a more definitive reason for last night's outage and confirmation of tonight planned downtime, I will update you all.

Meanwhile, I will run a final backup of the server close to midnight, so we have a snapshot, just in case :)

This was the only time in nearly 15 years that this 'type' of issue has arisen, so I will cut them some slack, but I will continue to ask for information on exactly what happened.

From my part, please accept my apologies for breaks in your CE time. I do my very best to provide an uninterrupted service, and this tends to sully our record and can of course cause concern amongst the player base.

We invested in new hardware this year and added extra backup systems and even a ton more reporting, so we know when there are any types of issues from the server / host end.

Anyway, I wanted to keep you informed...

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
Coops
Site Admin

Re: Server Planned Down Time

Post by Coops »

As suspected, the actual downtime never took place, so it appears they jumped the gun on the planned time and moved the server early, causing me to have kittens. I've received an apology for the downtime from the server team, but not an acknowledgement they jumped the gun, nevertheless, we are all ok and our servers are working as expected.

Coops