Re-entering Combat

Named after one of the founding fathers, this Tavern is for Role Playing and general 'in character' discussions. Remember to pay your bar bill!
Elkhorn
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Re-entering Combat

Post by Elkhorn »

With sweaty palms on the controls, I embarked on a daring combat mission after months of inactivity. The allure of the new bounties offered by Elsie Cadell in Fieron was too enticing to resist. Determined to test my skills, I hastily converted my freighter/passenger hauler into a makeshift combat vessel.

Though my loadout was not as formidable as those of other seasoned captains, my ship now boasted a basic combat configuration. I had equipped an aged Phased Stanson Shield R2, providing me with a modest shield capacity of 5857 points. While not optimal for combat, I opted for an energy-based weapon that could power my mining lasers—a Hybrid Robinson Gatling ADV-2475 I had salvaged. Its destructive potential ranged from 1300 to 1800 damage per hit.

I decided not to reset my Integrated Programming (IP) which would allow me to shift my skills to equip combat specific loadouts and opted to go with what I could fit.

Reluctant to fully commit to a combat specialization, I made do with what I had. My targeting system consisted of a Predator Ganisha for friend-or-foe identification, coupled with a reliable Threat Detector MK4. Additionally, my trusty Messiah Turret Type 3 remained perpetually active in the POD department.

To ensure readiness for the battles ahead, I stockpiled various hull and armor E.B.K. modules for emergency repairs. A collection of shield matrices gathered during my previous endeavors also graced my inventory. Furthermore, I possessed a formidable arsenal of 200,000 Omega Repair Drone Ver 1 units, each capable of mending 1200 points of damage.

The only missing component was a sufficient supply of Shield E.B.K., which I promptly produced to complete my preparations. With everything in place, I accepted a contract to eliminate 84 notorious pirates and set out on my hunt.

To ease into the combat, I targeted a relatively low-threat adversary—a light green Diskbolt weighing around 8500 tons. As I closed in on my unsuspecting prey, the exhilaration of anticipation surged through me. My finger trembled on the fire button as I took aim and... missed. The shot veered wide, allowing my opponent to retaliate with a fiery blast that sent my shields into a chaotic frenzy.

Undeterred, I calmed my racing heart and refocused my aim, sweat dripping down my face. The targeting bracket centered on my target, and with renewed determination, I squeezed the trigger. Triumphantly, I observed his shields flare under the impact of my well-placed shot.

The battle intensified as we exchanged volleys for three more rounds. Dodging and weaving, our ships darted around, vying for clean shots. His third attempt missed its mark, while my shot struck true, causing molten metal to splatter from his battered armor. A quick glance at my faltering shields urged me to activate a shield matrix with a capacity of 6,000—exceeding my ship's maximum limit of 5,000. Excess energy dissipated in brilliant blue streaks of lightning, a testament to my resourcefulness.

As my next shot went awry, I attributed the misfire to the lingering glare from the shields. However, my subsequent salvos found their mark, battering the precise area where I had concentrated my fire. Layer by layer, his armor disintegrated, exposing the vulnerable innards of his vessel. My shields remained resilient, encouraging me to press the assault.

With a determined gaze, I unleashed another barrage, but my shields faltered and succumbed to the relentless onslaught. Foregoing the use of a shield matrix, I relied on my trusty armor and unleashed another salvo. A satisfying hit reverberated through space, while his desperate missile veered harmlessly off course. One more shot, and it would be over. I fired with unwavering resolve, witnessing a cataclysmic explosion that sent cargo containers and ship fragments scattering in every direction.

I glanced down at the screen, my vision momentarily blurred by a sheen of sweat. The kill confirmation materialized, granting me 2777 Captain XP and 3472 Credits. This was swiftly followed by the lucrative pirate bounty of 1680 XP and 1925 Credits.

Closing in on the wreckage, my eyes scanned for salvageable treasures amidst the chaos. The salvage bots efficiently loaded an assortment of valuable loot into my cargo bay, heightening my sense of triumph.

With trembling hands, I navigated the ship's interface and activated an Omega Repair Drone. It worked its magic, fully restoring my armor to its former glory. Satisfied, I turned my attention to the faltering shields. Lacking a suitable 5K EBK, I made do with a 4K and a 1K module, carefully installing them before resuming my combat scans.

This time, I set my sights on a Vindicator, its presence indicating a more formidable challenge as it lingered in the yellow threat zone. Weighing a substantial 8857 tons, it loomed before me, a test of nerves and skill. I closed in, adrenaline pumping through my veins, eager to prove myself once again.

Alas, my first shot missed, leaving me to question whether it was my targeting scanner or the trembling in my hands to blame. Four subsequent hits and one errant shot later, his shield began to crumble under the relentless barrage. In an instant, my shield vanished, shattered by a thunderous blow. In the vacuum of space, they say sound doesn't carry, but the screeching howl that accompanied the impact was inescapable—a nerve-wracking cacophony akin to a hundred fingers scraping down a chalkboard.

Ignoring the cacophony, I analyzed the targeting readout. The adversary's armor now stood at a mere 1,000 points, while its hull boasted a formidable 4,800. Deciding to forgo another shield matrix, I took a deep breath and squeezed the trigger once more. A resounding hit caused his armor to disintegrate, revealing the fragile core beneath.

Emboldened by my success, I pressed on, firing two more rounds. The last shot struck its mark, and his vessel shattered into a mesmerizing display of destruction. This time, I claimed 3555 XP and 4444 credits, with a pirate bounty of 2160 XP and 2475 credits. It was time to gather the spoils of victory.
Leaning back, a mix of exhaustion and satisfaction washed over me as I transmitted the combat logs to claim my well-deserved bounty. A staggering sum of 2,940,000 credits and 735,000 XP awaited me, an affirmation of my skills. Elsie, recognizing my prowess, even awarded me an additional 250 Rapport points. Not bad at all for a day's work in the perilous realm of combat.
Rule of Acquisition #1 Once you have their money...never give it back!