What is Core Exiles?

Everyone was new at one time or another - This section holds our helpful Guides written by players and staff. Plus Primers written by the Developers.
Lord Castellan Creed

What is Core Exiles?

Post by Lord Castellan Creed »

Recently there has been a few new players appearing, and there is three common questions:

- What is the aim in Core Exiles?
- Where is the Player vs Player combat?
- Why is some stuff paid?

So I thought I'd take a little bit of time to write a few comments on each. Hopefully this will provide some helpful information to new players.

What is the aim in Core Exiles?

Well, actually there is no specific aim to Core Exiles. This can be a difficult concept for new players, as most games do have an end game. Core Exiles is different.

Instead, the emphasis is on developing your character and the assets available to you. Ultimately, three things need to happen:

- Experience needs to be obtained so that you can level up and use new equipment.
- Credits are an important currency, used to buy items from NPC stores, alongside licence costs for fancy assets such as settlements (a settlement is your own base on a planet, where you can set up stores, harvest resources and make ships etc).
- Resources are required if you want to do any form of crafting. Of course these can be exchanged for credits, so resource gathering isn't a strong requirement but is definitely a benefit, especially if you want to be rich in credits.

To obtain these three things, a variety of professions are available to you. These professions are split into two categories, primary professions which require time investment and secondary professions where they run with minimal input. A number of professions can be found on the stats portal: https://stats.core-exiles.com/.

So why should I do this?

As mentioned at the beginning, the ultimate aim is to develop your character and unlock new things. The Core Exiles story is expanding, and new things are frequently added. A current development aim is battleships. These require a lot of credits and resources, so will take any player a significant amount of time. Details about these can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3791&p=24831

Where is the Player vs Player combat?

Unlike a lot of games. Player vs Player combat takes a significant back step. Core Exiles is all about developing your Captain, and to lose your ship or assets due to a high level player attacking you would be very off putting. The only player vs player combat is Mech battles. These are robots that you build and let loose in an arena to fight one another.

Why is some stuff paid?

Naturally, Core Exiles costs money to run. In addition money is required to keep the lights on in Coops-land.

Unlike a lot of games, it is not necessary to buy anything to enjoy the full game. Paid items allow you to:

- Increase your fuel generation rate, allowing you to sink more time into the game.
- Provide captain upgrades, which make your life easier.
- Provides shortcuts to unlock items which otherwise would require credits and resources.

Plenty of players have never spent anything in the store, yet are still some of the most developed captains out there. Coops is also known for being generous, and over the years I've received a number of paid items for free in competitions.

Still interested?

If you've just started (so under level 10) or want to start, drop me a PM in game (Lord Castellan Creed) and I'll drop some credits your way.

Of course, if this thread encourages you to play, then please feel free to add me as your "Recommended by" captain when signing up, as this will get both of us some shiny toys as you progress.
Samantha

Re: What is Core Exiles?

Post by Samantha »

Hello Lord Castellan Creed

I would already be interested. Extra credits are always welcome. But I'm afraid this post comes 1-2 months too late for me. I am now level 31. Very unfortunate indeed. :lol:

Nevertheless interesting. I have read through everything.

Regards

Samantha
Tame me? Keep dreaming!

Ship - Moonbat, Store: Samanthas Marketplace - Promenade ( Starbase-51 )
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Just to add to this:

Developer Note.

We have plenty of Top level power players who have never sunk a dime in support into CE. These are top level crafters, combatants, haulers, explorers, in fact we have them in pretty much every profession in CE. Support via the store is NOT required, we created CE so that everyone can play for free.

CE is not about competition against other players, it's about working with them (or on your own if you choose) to further your Captain, your ship and your career in a Vast Universe before you. You will be missing out on a great community and great game if you solely focus on the fact CE has a Store.

This additional comment has been placed here as we have had a slew of recent visitors asking about the store and how it affects their game play.

Read here what Players old and new think of CE : https://news.core-exiles.com/what-is-core-exiles/

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Hello

This additional comment has been placed here as we have had a slew of recent visitors asking about the store and how it affects their game play.
My game is not really affected by the store. It has a few useful things, like the store licenses, which you can also get through the Festive Points. I had seen it too late though. The extra fueltank, the better engine and a new ship, however, were a very pleasant and useful addition (for me).

It's not about achieving something necessarily, but to support the game financially now and then, if it makes sense. So many of my favorite games have been discontinued because it was no longer financially viable. Tera Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Wildstar to name just a few examples.

I like Core Exiles and hope to spend a long time here. My goal is to have my own space station. :D

Regards

Samantha
Tame me? Keep dreaming!

Ship - Moonbat, Store: Samanthas Marketplace - Promenade ( Starbase-51 )