Settlements, Pirates and You

Game Role Playing Storyline news posts from ISN News. Gus Givens and his staff will keep you updated on the latest news and rumours within the Universe.
Gus Givens
CE ISN Reporter

Settlements, Pirates and You

Post by Gus Givens »

And now, we bring you the latest consumer news from across the galaxies.

Camera pans over to a middle aged man wearing glasses and a bow tie.

This is George Stuckey, consumer reporter for ISN.

Today we have a late breaking piece of news. With the recent changes to pirate activity that have resulted in both the severity of the attacks increasing but pirates also being more willing to take on less defended targets, one of Sphere's residents who has toiled behind the scenes to help settlement owners has announced some wonderful and well timed news.

Caitlin Masters located on Torque in the Castalan system has stepped forward to help settlement owners with the high repair costs associated with pirate attacks. She has announced that as of today, she has reduced the amount of hull and armor upgrades she is requiring to be able to produce a settlement armor repair kit. I was able to contact Caitlin for further comments.

Fadeout to Caitlin's workshop facing Caitlin at her desk.
Caitlin, to what can you attribute this news?

Well George, thanks to some recent advances in both metallurgy and some custom designed processes, I have been able to reduce the required number of ship additions to produce a repair kit for settlements.

Why did you choose to share this with the public instead of keeping it for your own personal use or sell to the highest bidder?

Good question. I have been in this business since the first settlements were opened by exiled captains around the Sphere galaxy and consider it my way of giving a little back to those who have kept me in business for so long. Besides, I have plans to license the processes out to interested parties for use on larger installations such as Starbase 23 in Hexham. But, I also expect private captains like governmental accountants will be attracted to the savings I can give compared to my old methods which will lead to an upswing in business.

You mentioned liscensing these methods and techonology. Does that mean independant crafters will be able to also produce them?

Well, at this time there are no plans to release the larger and more complicated designs to the general public. A girl has to have a few secrets doesn't she? But, smaller versions may be in the works depending on several factors that are beyond my control.

Can you share what might influence your decision in that regard?

At this time, I'm not really at liberty to say. Trade secrets, non-disclosure agreements, and threats from those of dubious moral character are just things I normally deal with everyday. However, should I decide to allow circulation of my designs, they will come with several security measures to ensure that they are in fact my designs and not those from any of my imitators.

Camera returns to ISN news desk.

There you have it folks. Settlement owners are now able to get repair kits at cheaper prices thanks to the advances in technology with the possibility of independent crafters being able to step in and fill orders from their fellow captains.

Your bottom line is my bottom line.