Pirates Attack Settlement!

This section covers latest updates and changes within the game. Posts here are made by the Developers and if you only read 1 Section - make it this one!
Coops
Site Admin

Pirates Attack Settlement!

Post by Coops »

OK first off an apology for the delay of this release. I had a great 'plan' and like most things the plan was trashed within a day of starting the code. At one stage I was actually finished then we ran into issue of players simply choosing to 'not defend' their settlement. Threw me for a while and I waited to see if this would change.

Needless to say I have recoded the settlement combat from scratch to take this into account. That doesn't mean that if you choose not to defend your settlement all will be well (far from it) but it does mean that at a certain stage you will LOOSE your settlement but NOT until after numerous attacks and prods with a sharp stick to resolve the situation.

OK on to the release.

Settlement Combat
This evening I let loose the Pirate fleets who will be roaming your space looking for settlements to attack. By the time you read this at least one of you will have been attacked.

You have had a LONG time to prepare for this so please no complaining if you get attacked in the next 24 hours. :) Settlement combat only affects those that own a settlement. Although should a settlements morale drop below a certain stage the settlement may start to see Offices / Stores close and eventually if unattended the settlement will be closed and removed. (this would affect those using the stores / offices and of course as a CS and Crafting centre / Player Market.)

Risk VS rewards - Those of you that have spent a LOT of funds building your settlement up should be aware now (I've made enough posts) that you need to be concentrating on Offence before anything else and then deciding on a good defensive strategy.

Of course should you win combat against the Pirate fleets you will gain loot salvaged from the battle. There are 30+ new items of loot added and these are only available from winning settlement combat.

Those of you with a keen eye will spot these are a new type of loot and it may indicate where we are going with settlements. More than that at the moment I'm forbidden to say :) Needless to say though collecting the new loot will form a major part of advancing where settlements are concerned.

Notification and the 'Battle Report' - When your settlement is attacked you will find you are sent a PM from your settlement informing you of said event and also the news header will inform players of the attack.

Returning to your settlement you can see a new icon on the bottom of the settlement screen. This new icon will lead you to a section where all combat reports for your settlement are stored. This means that you can read them at your leisure. These reports show the start, end and details of the combat. They also show what (if any) loot was gathered by your settlement drones. Any loot you received will automatically go into your local Commercial Store.

Morale - Each settlement has a new stat (top right main pages) This is Morale. It relates to the staff and their ability to function. You have all been issued a 60% morale setting. Combat is currently the ONLY thing that will affect your settlements morale. Loosing combats is going to lower that and wining them is going to raise it.

As your morale slips towards Zero you will be informed of certain 'issues' with your settlement. These are NOT currently active but will be activated over the next week as we see how owners react to the combat reports.

Eventually if left unchecked as I've mentioned earlier your settlement will be closed. (more on this closer to the inception of this change).

Combat Stats - You will notice (when you read your first attack report) that I have not opted for a report akin to standard combat. Whilst some of you would love reams and reams of stats in a long list most of us have lives to live and a report with 'some stats' is sufficient.

The actual ticker pits your settlement against a Pirate Fleet. The outcome is run through a similar system as standard combat and the results balanced against your settlements abilities and any available research bonus's ect.

You will see (in the report) the starting and end details and the three sections of combat, Fleet, Space and Ground. Below that is the loot screen showing any loot obtained.

We wont be releasing all the details or the exact mechanics of settlement combat so you will need to figure out the the how, why and where's yourself.

Have fun !

Coops.
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!