Passenger Class Bump-ups

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
SpaceBucks

Passenger Class Bump-ups

Post by SpaceBucks »

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a beef with the way FIRST CLASS, SECOND CLASS, and THIRD CLASS passenger cabins are handled?

In the real world, I was preparing to get on a long very flight when it was announced that they overbooked the plane. I overheard the attendants state that they had too many people booked in coach because of a tour group. Since they all needed to fly together in order to avoid angering folks within the group, I figured I may get the chance to move up from coach.
I asked her to find out if it would help if they bumped me up to First or Business Class to gain my seat in coach. Long story short, I got to enjoy first class seating and food for coach price.
I later found out that this thing happens quite a bit in the travel world.

So, why can we as captains not have the ability to bump perspective passengers up a class or two for the same ticket price. We get to fill an open spot as well as get a fare, and they get to their destination quickly at the same price. I cannot imagine that anyone would not want the free bump-up in class.

Also, has their ever been any thoughts on Omni Class cabins, so that lower level folks can take groups without the use of pods?

Any thoughts for pro or con?
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Re: Passenger Class Bump-ups

Post by Darakhoranon »

Considering how well passenger hauling already pays, I seriously doubt it will be "improved" even further. And from what I've seen so far, Coops isn't the guy to walk around nerfing everything that just might be a bit too good (for balancing reasons), so it probably won't be nerfed, either. ;)

I assume coding your suggestion wouldn't be trivial, so it might be better to leave this alone - it works fine now, so would it really be worth it to risk getting bugs into the system?

Concerning your idea of lower-level group hauling: Adding one new pod (and a new category of group passengers requiring that) might be possible, but again, I doubt that's going to happen. Apart from what I already said above, with groups being the higher "tier" of passenger hauling, the whole group-pod scheme adds some advancedment to this career choice/aspect - you begin ferrying single passengers and then "advance" to hauling groups. If you could do the latter almost from the beginning, there'd be almost no advancement left.
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.
Pablem
CE Official Supporter

Post by Pablem »

Darakhoranon wrote:Considering how well passenger hauling already pays, I seriously doubt it will be "improved" even further. And from what I've seen so far, Coops isn't the guy to walk around nerfing everything that just might be a bit too good (for balancing reasons), so it probably won't be nerfed, either. ;)
Coops has stated that Union Hauling is in for a "fix". He just hasn't decided how or found the time to do so. The most rare resource at CE is Coops' time.
Shipbuilder Pablem Chief Entrepreneur, Citrus Enterprises
HQ located at Citrus Pass, Tig
Career Crafter
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

Which means ferrying passengers one day might just require more effort on our part. For example, if there were only 5-10 passengers at any given location, completely filling a large cabin would likely require quite a bit more flying around, thus burning more fuel/taking more time. More time and fuel required translates into a lower credits/fuel and time-rate. It would still be profitable, just LESS profitable/effortless compared to now.

Besides, I consider a "nerf" to be making something (too) good become nearly pointless. (Re-)Balancing things isn't that, is it? ;-)
And my main point was that Coops doesn't "nerf" things that MIGHT be a little too good on a whim.
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.
Tye Dagget

Post by Tye Dagget »

Passenger hauling is extremely lucrative and gives excellent experience. I would say it may (for me, at least) be the single most lucrative activity in the game, as far as credit and xp payoff.

As for fixing, I don't think it needs anything, unless it is- as Darakhoranon suggested- to be nerfed down a bit. If that is the case, I hope it is simply a reduction in credits and experience awarded, rather than requiring more flying around and looking for passengers, as it is already fairly time intensive (through VASTLY improved, compared to the way it worked when you had to do blind refresh every time).

For my part though, I'm extremely satisfied with the passenger system we presently have in place.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Tye Dagget wrote: For my part though, I'm extremely satisfied with the passenger system we presently have in place.
Sorry, just returned from the ER for a bump on the head where I fell off my Dev Throne :)

Nice to hear a happy voice :) Always good to see elements of the game discussed constructively guys. I'm off to make a poster for my wall from T.D's comments. Seriously though - keep it up guys. Constructive discussion - always welcome :)

Doesn't take much to keep an old Dev happy lol.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
SpaceBucks

Post by SpaceBucks »

We are just trying to bring fun to everyone; even you COOPS :)
Being new to the game, it is good to meet so many other folks that are will to explain their point of view.
It is obvious that the other players have much larger cabins, so they may not have run into the issue that someone with one of each class has.

Maybe a possible fix would be to have less cabin spaces available and simply have the quality of the cabins dictate the fee schedule. Say the ECO grades pay (rate times-1.0); Argonaut grades pay (rate times-1.1); and Luxor grades pay (rate times-1.2.) This would be intuitive because luxury always sells for more.

I suppose you could add a Luxury Class ship that would be built primarily as a passenger craft (since the first leviathan class ship was a pleasure craft,) but that seems like a lot of work to develop.

I hope you feel better, COOPS.
Last edited by SpaceBucks on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

The whole passenger system runs on equipping your ship with a passenger module/shadowsword frame+pods. A "passenger ship" would break this system, so I don't see how that could work.
aRJay
CE Official Supporter

Post by aRJay »

Darakhoranon wrote:The whole passenger system runs on equipping your ship with a passenger module/shadowsword frame+pods. A "passenger ship" would break this system, so I don't see how that could work.
Maybe a bit like a VP or PM ship only instead of giving you skill boosts you get a bonus to XP and fees when hauling passengers, however if you do other work using that ship the XP and credits are reduced with the amount depending on the task. Worst would be combat then mining and salvage with hauling being least penalised. You would still need the modules etc.

Alternatively the ship would boost the number of passengers carriable in whatever is fitted but lower the amount of cargo space.

Not sure its a good idea but it could be worked something like that.
Lvl 114: Settlement Diaspar (L6): Guild Intelliquest

"For scientific leadership, Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton."
SpaceBucks

Post by SpaceBucks »

Interesting idea, aRJay. I never thought of a specialized 'player made' ship.

The storyline of the past Luxury Liner ships was an interesting read. Thinking of a ship chassis as a type of bus or taxi frame instead of a cargo hauler or combat craft is really cool.
I am just not sure how popular it would be.

I was thinking more on changing the module system...
Make each revision have a maximum limit regardless of model-type: Rev.1 (2 total), Rev.2 (4 total), Rev.3 (6 total). Then the quality of model would dictate the fee boost: ECO/basic (fee times-1.00), Argonaut (fee times-1.10), Luxor (fee times-1.20). Of course, I was envisioning omni-class seating or at least passenger class bump-ups.

My assumption was that all passengers would share a common area for eating, drinking, and socializing. All Luxor passengers would also have access to a capsule berth (like Japanese capsule hotels); Argonaut passengers would have access to private Ultra Class seating (like Singapore airlines); and ECO passengers would just get a wide reclining seat somewhere in the common area (like current airline first or business class seating, but in a somewhat private single seating arrangement.)
To continue, ECO/basics would be more Spartan; Argonauts would have some high-tech equipment built-in like video gaming and audio/video; and Luxors would be decked out in additional luxury, as well as even more futuristic gadgetry. All would have access to the future's version of internet access, so patrons can bring their own devices for diversion and work (thus keeping the fee schedule from running amok.)

If you are not aware of current trends in travel accommodations, just do a web search for: "Singapore Airlines Ultra Class," and "capsule hotels" It is pretty cool.
Personally, I am adding Ultra Class on Singapore to my bucket list.

I have heard that COOPS is apparently planning a change in the whole passenger system. This may be a cool solution because it also has a fun and believable story line. And will limit some folks from taking advantage of the current system.

Last edited by SpaceBucks on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.