Second mining laser

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Akkamaddi
CE Official Supporter

Second mining laser

Post by Akkamaddi »

I know the idea of equipping a second mining laser has been brought up in the past. However, we are now at a point that mining barges can use multiple mining lasers (mine has three right now), and PT Captains can equip multiple lasers. So, perhaps this could be re-considered? :mrgreen:

I know balance is a big issue.

This is just a rough idea for how something might work. I'm sure there are flaws, but I tried to keep things balance and minimize development for Coops, but still keep it useful to a player.

Mining lasers are already multi-mount, but of course the limitation is power. The main mechanic change is that there would have to be a primary and secondary laser slot. The fancy way to do this is have the highest scan bonus be primary. What may be easier is have the left weapon slot primary, and the right secondary.

The secondary mining laser does boost the Base Scan Rating of the ship, but the bonuses is (x0.1) the weapons actual bonus. So, a mining laser that gives a scan boost of 32% would give a boost of 3.2%, in addition to the boost of the primary mining laser.

The secondary mining laser also has a chance of getting a "bonus find" of ore each time an ore is tractored in. There is a chance equal to the scan boost of the secondary mining laser that the miner gets a "bonus find" of +20% of the ore found. So, using the mining laser from the example above, with a 32% scan bonus, there is a 32% chance each time I pull in ore I get a bonus find of 20% more ore. If the scan boost of the laser is 100% or higher, this happens every time. If plain Ore is being pulled, the bonus amount increases to +30%.

Just an rough idea, possibly viable and possibly not.
Thank you for your time.