Pick up ALL from collection point

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Albatross

Pick up ALL from collection point

Post by Albatross »

I just transferred 200+ items to a crafter. That was reasonable, I had to pick how many of each.

But now he has to collect each of them. It would be helpful if a player could collect all items waiting at the current settlement.
Coops
Site Admin

Re: Pick up ALL from collection point

Post by Coops »

We have tried this in the past but there are some serious issues.

Generally speaking, we have All kinds of players using all types of devices on fast, medium, slow, and ultra slow connections from all over the world. So whilst aThe table this feeds off has over 5 million items in it with some players having over 50,000 items stashed away.

Problem is when it fails it fails 'terribly' we end up with partial moves and lots of lost items. We ran this test on dev with various players using various browsers and slow to moderate speeds. (Remember some payers can take up to 8-10 seconds to load a single page - a page that processes a 1,000 move from Player A to the collection point and reverse could take several minutes to process - even if we use java to run it we found the browser connection always timed out on slow connections. Players will think the page has locked up and hit return or the browser times out. Both Terrible outcomes.

In short - yes its a great idea, but in practice, we have tried it, and the way CE works and the DB store items and gives access to them it's not best suited to mass moves.

The only way this would work is if we changed how CE stores items, sadly thats a Decade choice too late.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Wow I had no idea. Thanks for the thoughtful response
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Had we thought we would still be serving up CE a decade + on we might have had a little more foresight and created a more simplistic system (from our side) for storing items lol

There are of course always fixes and ways around the issue, but we have not yet found one that works for 'slow' internet or deals with 'flakey' net issues. Imagine trying to send or receive a bunch of expensive items and only half of them arrive due to a browser page screw up...

When we started Project Terran (our sister game) we used that knowledge and created a more stable and forward thinking storage system (and limits lol).

Coops

Ps. I'm still pondering their merits of a suggestion to use Crafting Tokens. So Player A has all the resources they need for Player B to craft a shiny new ship but doesn't want to spend a few evenings sending it all over. So they use a Crafting token - this Zaps all the contents into a handy Single item. They then send this Single item to Player B. He can then unpack it his end to build the ship (in this example).

There is a thread in suggestions covering this idea.
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

ummm I don't even know how to answer this, my brain doesn't go where yours does LOL

I thought I made a simple suggestion but it seems it spiraled into different contexts. I'm not a high level player :(