Dynamic Joe's List/ Resource prices

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
5hortpants
CE Official Supporter

Dynamic Joe's List/ Resource prices

Post by 5hortpants »

I'm sure I'm not the first person to suggest something along these lines, and in fact I know that Coops has this on his PIB (possible ideas board) based on previous posts: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1463

I thought I would throw in my two cents anyway, though. The current fixed-price model for resources based on the Joe's List price is comfortable and predictable, but it often doesn't reflect the difficulty or effort involved in collecting resources. Combat and Alien resources, along with Derelict and Settlement Combat resources, are priced in the same range as easy-to-collect extractables.

I did notice that the Mall Resources list includes a Resource Server Volume: http://core-exiles.com/099e24da60b13902 ... /malls.php

In general, the difficulty of collecting a resource is reflected by a scarcity of server volume. If Joe's list price was based on this list (either dynamically or updated periodically) it might make the entire game more dynamic. For example, as popular new schematics used up resources that were not in high demand previously, we would see the list price rise, and no doubt many players would shift to activities to fill the demand.

As with many ideas, it is likely not possible, though. Since Joe's price permeates so many layers of the game (GBM, malls, resource stores, and even extractor rates) it may not be feasible to link so many things to a dynamic list. Also, the huge implications to game play may not make it very possible. However, as a fever dream it entertains me.

Cheers!
Coops
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic Joe's List/ Resource prices

Post by Coops »

Interested in thoughts and suggestions on this...

/me has my ears on.
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Mechwarrior

Post by Mechwarrior »

I like your idea, well thought out

actions have reactions use more resource for crafting etc and the res becomes rare and sort after thus increasing the price.

a lot of coding I am guessing

**never understood that word 'coding' before coming to CE...
king david
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Post by king david »

supply and demand is managed in the GBM automatically. the players balance it themselves.
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

king david wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:37 am supply and demand is managed in the GBM automatically. the players balance it themselves.
would be true If we had unlimited GBM slots. atm It is not so. There are many times I see request with low price, and I cannot offer more because lack of slots :(

On the other hand it is hard to find good system for making general adjustments. GBM prices? easy to abuse. (change of) amount of resources in game? well, prices would stay down when people gather resource (for a newly relaesed thingie), and go up when all is crafted (so demand goes down). However, in my opinion, such system could work only for resources hard to get, with large supply/demend changes, that is combat loot, derelict. for most other resources it would be waste of time/effort, as effect would/should be negligible.

On the other side, limited dynamics (limited to certain areas of the game) could be quite intresting. Like Alien Trade - most resources are valued at Joe values (in Tl), some are higher. would be nice to see supply-demend thing here, with price move between 0.5-5 Joe price (in Tl), for example.

Other system could be malls - more popular items should have price lowered, rarer items should be more expensive. instead of 3xJoe price shoukd fluctuate between 2 and 5x joe (guessed that 3x joe number, I forget real price coefficient). Official list of mall prices should be published somewhere. Courier prices could be chained to that aswell.
king david
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Post by king david »

yes but Piko, if the price is too low , it will just sit there unfulfilled. Run cure-all a gbm min
what we pay at the GBM establishes value, low supply = high price
OtherRick

Post by OtherRick »

Old suggestion, new post. This is definitely worth re-visiting. It's been on Coops' idea board for four years now. Let's have some discussion!

Joe's prices are a fair guideline for many resources, but do not reflect the relative difficulty in obtaining these resources.

Since the original suggestion and discussion above (four years ago!), ERT's have become a common work-around for acquiring many challenging resources, since they bypass the difficulty to acquire. As the difficulty to acquire is directly mediated by ERT's, the price a captain is willing to pay for a resource decreases, even though the level of effort required to obtain without an ERT remains the same.

The ones who tend to lose out on this are the new players, who aren't yet aware of the value of those challenging resources. They will often use those resources to fill low-ball GBM offers. Those low-ball GBM offers are themselves informed by the inaccurate joes prices.

Here's my input on changing Joes base prices:
1) ERT usage to obtain a given resource should increase Joes value. (Difficulty to obtain increases value)
2) GBM contracts to obtain a given resource should increase Joes value. (Representing demand for the resource)
2.5) GBM contracts that are VERY RAPIDLY FILLED should decrease Joes value. (Representing either an excessive offer price or very high supply)
3) Rapid decrease in server-wide stock should increase Joes value. (Representing high demand/low supply)
4) Steadily increasing server-wide stock (i.e., month after month) of a given resource should decrease its value. (e.g., server-wide Steel qty only increases for several weeks in a row, representing low demand/high supply)
5) Joes base prices should NOT be updated dynamically, but should be "published" on an irregular basis (sometimes 1 week between updates, sometimes 2, sometimes 1 month). This limits the ability of players to "game" the system.
6) There should be a cap on percentage change between published price lists to keep things smooth. (i.e., steel base price can't increase or decrease by more than 5% in an update) This further limits the ability of players to "game" the system, and enables long-term "resource investing" strategies.

7) TDK base prices should work in a similar fashion, but only tracking 1-6 within the Verec Per galaxy. This would effectively enable port trading.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Still an interesting thought but I'd have to give it a lot of thought and also just 'how' we affect prices i mean shortages and what constitutes a shortage to drive a stock, and with payers hoarding everything they come across a shortage is not really a shortage if a small group of players hold 50% of the games stock of a given resource.

I DO think it has merit, but unclear how I would even start to proceed with it....

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!