schematic res CST

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
falconner

schematic res CST

Post by falconner »

Hi,
If you have crafted anything before,or had your stuff crafted from a crafter by supplying them with resources, I am sure you will agree that the process of transfering all those resources is a huge pain in the ahem. Ship engineering frames,anyone?
:cry: :evil:
:idea:
Here is what I have been thinking of,although I suppose this might be a bit to code.
Places that have a manufacturing facility,and a cst could allow one to select schems,and transfer the res needed for those schem along with submods to either another planet/starbase or settlement and or another player.
Either one of these would be a great inclusion to the game imo,and would make transfering resources to a person much less of a painful task.
This could be useful in one other situation. say if you keep your crafting stock in a particular planet/starbase or settlement, and what you are wanting to craft can not be crafted on that place, using this you could just move those resources to a suitable location.

For this to happen, though one would need to have all the resources for the schematic,any missing would make this non usable.
I am sure one could introduce limitations to this or a drawback if you will, maybe a 3CR fee per every quantity moved? 1 for the CR,2 for Coops for implementing this idea. ;)
Or and maybe along with that a time duration,much longer than otherwise for all the sorting and transfering of cargo. Maybe the player could not undock after this process for about 5 minutes or so(just a placeholder feel free to insert your own) as the captain/AI needs to keep an eye on what res are being assigned to the bulk transfer.
Along with maybe 1 use per 4 5 days,with more for upgraded AI s.
Thoughts? ideas? suggestions? critisisms,everything welcome.
Falconner
Geistware

Re: schematic res CST

Post by Geistware »

This would be difficult to code as mentioned. An alternative that would be easier to code would be that if you had the resources and the schematics and NOT the MFG/Prod level to make the thing yourself then you could use that schema and resources to create a token. THat token can be given to someone with the MFG/Prod level to craft the item.

The token once created would consume the resources. This token would be the same as kitting all the resources for the crafter.
Personally I would put a time limit on the token or make it something that only a PA account would use. PA can be acquired with real money or festive points so should not be difficult to obtain.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Interesting question and even more intriguing response from Geistware. The creation of a Crafting Token that consumes all the resources from YOUR store and is then simply handed over to a crafter who with the skills can then use the token to craft the end item.

Has some ramifications on a few levels but its one to chew on and think about. Thoughts from others, as I say if you extrapolate the idea there are a few extra issues it will bring about.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

Sounds interesting, and while it would obviously be difficult to implement, it WOULD make crafting for other players much easier since they could "pack up" all the required resources and just hand over this token/package instead of having to transfer one resource after the other - and transferring/accepting all the things you need for e.g. an Eden 2 one by one IS almost physically painful... ;-)

Still, even ignoring for a moment the amount of coding required, it sounds a little "too easy" anyway - maybe there should be some kind of "tax" or other net loss when packing up resources to balance the added comfort...
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.
Elkhorn
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Post by Elkhorn »

Some thoughts.
Each schematic has corresponding Module "tokens". So a Corporation Fusion Reactor 2 would be comprised of the component tokens" 2 Corporation R Pulse, 4 Corporation Particle Coils, 24 Corporation G pulse, etc. Each token costs the resources plus a "fee" (festive points, credits, coops tokens, whatever). Once created the resources are locked in the tokens, (maybe a submol option).
It could be implemented in the crafting window with the option to "Create Module Token" that used less manufacturing/construction skill, or maybe the underused negotiation skill?, some other skill? to create the Token. All the required tokens could be "assembled" into the final "Production Token" at a higher cost. This would allow the contribution to larger builds, Star bases, etc. by trading tokens rather than resources.
No xp for the creation of tokens, only for crafting the final product.
Elk
Rule of Acquisition #1 Once you have their money...never give it back!
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

Post by Sukayo »

I like the idea, even picking up all the resources to craft something is ... a bit boring.

For the no exp point from Elkhorn, IMO crafting modules is be done often to get at least a bit of the exp for crafting when not able to handle the final piece.

And to make it easier, a token per final piece is IMO better and easier to handle, so that here is no missing module, 10 units of some resource or anything else.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Darakhoranon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:22 pm Still, even ignoring for a moment the amount of coding required, it sounds a little "too easy" anyway - maybe there should be some kind of "tax" or other net loss when packing up resources to balance the added comfort...
Indeed there would need to be some 'pain' involved in making the process a far smoother and simper one.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
falconner

Post by falconner »

Actually yes, Geistware's idea sounds far more appealing.
Here are a few things I can think of to add to the pain, as they say. honestly I'd be fine with anything as long as! it gets rids of so many clicks...
1. if you own the schems anyway, would it not make much more sense to craft the thing yourself?
Even if you don't have the prod and manf, there are a few ways to get at them,although a bit painful,yes.
Hence allow a token or what you will to be created through just a selection of schems.
2. the costs/limitation to this:
Lets go with limitations to balance it out a bit.
A. once created,the token can not be converted into the resources back again.
B. The token creation process will take x amount of time til then you can't move/undock or what you will (although something else could be added instead) and or limited token creations per week month or day.
Of this to be of use though,say if I select an engineering frame 1 schem/item to be taken into a token, all the mods and submods would be calculated,and time for creation increase accordingly.
After that token was done,depending on how many submods and mods it had,we would be unable to create another until whatever suitable time you think best.
C. limited token holding capacity
Each person can only hold so many tokens at once,that is if you have say,4 tokens you can't create another,until you transfer this to someone and they make use of it. although we could get rid of the make use of it from that last sentence,I see it creating far more complications than its worth.

Costs. hmm... 1 cr per resource quantity as it stands for CST atm,plus aditional 1CR/2 for each res quantity for the creation process.
And Thanks Coops for taking this idea under consideration!
Gorkus

Post by Gorkus »

I just want to chime in with an opposition to the "pain." argument. I don't understand the need to burden players with a tax that makes what amount to tedious busy work, easier. The player receiving the token is already getting an XP bonus for doing the crafting for another and the players giving the token is already losing said XP in the deal. Isn't that enough in exchange for removing what may be the biggest burden/drawback of the game?

It is my humble opinion that both transferring large numbers of res to another player and transferring (100ks worth of) Ore from a CS to a refinery (1k at a time) are the two biggest drags on the game. In fact, I owe Bebeb an apology, for I had been giving my surplus ore to him to convert to refined ore for many months. Then I did it myself for the first time and found I had contracted carpel tunnel as a reward for competing the task.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

I'm still quite liking the idea (even from DB strain POV) that we create a token system. (how you get those I've not thought of yet...

The idea being:

Player 1 wants Player 2 to craft him something - Player 1 has all the resource and a Token.

Player 1 uses the token (token consumed) to wrap all the resources into a Delivery crate. This is sealed with a special 'crafting seal'. He then sends that single tokens to player 2.

Player 2 receives the 'Delivery Chest' and goes to the crafting screen. Player 2 must own all the correct Schematics and meet the skills for the build. IF met Player 2 can hit the magic button and the chest opens and all the items are translated into the 'End Product'.

This system would be Far less clicks and two-and-fro on the system but would still use the resources required. Now I'm NOT saying this would become a norm lol. In fact, I'd see players only reserving this for large complex and annoying builds lol. (oh wait they are all large and annoying) lol.

I'd expect the Token to cost something that hurts or has real-world value.

There are a lot of variants and ways we could work this but that's a general ballpark idea....

thoughts... postcards, hate mail....

Coops