reorganize CE Guides & Newcomer Help Help - Guides & Primers

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

reorganize CE Guides & Newcomer Help Help - Guides & Primers

Post by Sukayo »

Please create two parts in
Board index CE Guides & Newcomer Help Help - Guides & Primers

one for Primers, the other for Guides.

Help requests should stay in the location, but much easier to find.
Coops
Site Admin

Re: reorganize CE Guides & Newcomer Help Help - Guides & Primers

Post by Coops »

Only issue is that a lot of the primers are linked in lots of places included in game location code. If I move the Primers out to a separate section I'd have to change every link and moving the other non primer posts (player help) would take me a fair amount of time.

Primers are normally sticky and at the top - Pretty much everything these days has to be searched for (even by me) The forum offers a good advanced search when looking for help.

I'll have a ponder and see if there is something I can do.

Coops

P.S every game I've ever played and needed to 'go look for help' I've used a search option, as once you get more than a few pages of help guides your not going to want to sit and manually click through them. There is no magic bullet to making a new players life easy but we ARE doing our best.
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

Coops wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:45 am There is no magic bullet to making a new players life easy but we ARE doing our best to make life HARD for him/her.
There, finished that sentence for you, Coops. :lol:

Okay, seriously, I don't think moving around the primers and/or guides is really something that would be more than a fresh coat of paint. Sure, it might make finding things a little easier, but the main "road block" for new players (as far as I can see) is the wealth of options you have in CE and the lack of a truly comprehensive "manual".
Almost all the time, you can find a primer or guide to give you a basic idea of what is involved in e.g. crafting, but in order to really understand what's going on requires you to experiment - and let's not get started on the difficulties in determining which loot/resources you really should keep for (much) later on and what you can safely sell... ;)

Of course, this "learning by doing" and "if you want to know, find out" approach is one of the things that define CE, but it IS a major stumbling block for new players.
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

Post by Sukayo »

why i stumbled over it - today when i see a new post there, it is not enough to open it. When clicking on the post direct i miss the second last new post.
So possible moving out all those Help me posts would handle it also.