Start pack

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

Re: Start pack

Post by Sukayo »

One small idea: Navigating CEDR and/or the Emporiums - could that be teached via a mission?

Like find the next best gun/reactor/cargo expander for your next level in CEDR. Tell me the exact name!

I searched the market and found it on the Emporium xyz/not in an Emporium. Where is this Emporium? Where you can get the gun for the lowest price?
Hint player settlements can have a sale on ceratain stores.

Ok, you found all the required information, i was able to secure one for you.

Somethings like this, could possible extend a bit the Commercial trader chain.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

One thing I DO intend to do (when i get Five minutes to think clearly) is expand (a whole lot) the Starter missions for new players. In all honesty the current ones have been vamped a few times but none added to the initial sets.

In ten years I think the NPC system is woefully in need of an overhaul, but that's far from easy in a game as complex and 'varied' as Core-Exiles.

But I have made yet another note to revisit and expand the starter missions.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Darakhoranon
CE Official Supporter

Post by Darakhoranon »

How long IS your list, Coops? ;-)

And since we're talking about complexity, it might be worth considering ways to make it easier/more comfortable to find the information you need, e.g. which schematics do you need to build a Small Settlement Farm and what resources do you need. Yes, there's KubaF's site, but that's an "outside" source a new(er) player probably won't find unless someone gives him/her directions - maybe you could add a link to that ingame?
With great power comes the great realization that you can have just as much fun simply annoying each other.
Moonblade
CE Official Supporter

Post by Moonblade »

Very important issue raised by the original poster here. I think a mix of the starter pack idea and expansion of beginner npc missions could be successfully implemented in order to retain new players. How ? Create a series of starter missions covering all basic aspects of the game. Not only combat, mining etc but also how to buy/sell items, place an extractor etc. At the end of each mission the player is given a small reward be it credits or low level item.

This starter system is implemented in most online games i have come across and has almost become standard in online rpg,s for instance. Not only does it provide some structure for the new player but rewards also serve as enticement to continue. "Ok let me just do one more mission then i can get this small mining laser or credits" and before you know it you have done 10 missions got some nice starter items and learned the basics of the game all in one go.

It really should not be left up to the guilds to do this. Many new players wont immediately join a guild, and is probably very easily discouraged in the beginning and overwhelmed by information overload. In other words some handholding is going to be required to keep new players playing.

The players involved with training new players in Intelliquest have a very good series of tasks for beginners to learn the basics. Maybe they can give input.

I realise that from a programming point of view this is going to be complex. But i think growing the player base is much more important than an expansion for us old hands.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

As i say 'on my list' and something I'll look at over Christmas Week whilst i sit here handing out candy, errr I mean Festive Gifts.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!