Direct contact

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
SilverSun

Direct contact

Post by SilverSun »

:shock:
As an ancient player to an old game I make the following suggestion:

A veteran player that agrees to help new players gets a certain benefit. This players name is introduced to the new players welcome message. The new player has a contact! He can ask questions and he doesn't feel alone. The veteran player signs a contract to help new players with in game PMs. Simple. Easy. Important.
I find, a new player reaching out from a mobile connection is completely isolated and has no option to chat or ask questions.

Happy coding. :P :)
Golden Ribblez spotted studying helioseismology, with defrosted Fish Tacos eating Hilton, on Messor.
XPLODE

Re: Direct contact

Post by XPLODE »

That's what discord is for, install the app on your phone.
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

There are also guilds.
In general I like your suggestion, but...
If Vet gets week off New player would send PM, get angry and leave. Not sure how to solve such issues...
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Hi there Silversun, we actually had a mentoring program here many years ago. IT was used initially and soon became nothing more than a Guild recruiting tool.

As it is the game has a myriad of ways players can get help from others and as mentioned above both Discord Chat and Guilds are a fantastic way to gain help. You will also find PM'ing the staff or simply 'asking' here in the forums is a fast way to get some help.

You will find that a few of the larger Guilds here actually run mentoring programs of their own. Assigning a senior player to a junior member, loaning them items as they need them and assisting in 'how things get done and work in CE'.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
SilverSun

Post by SilverSun »

Yeah, nice!
I must say there is a very positive thing about how it is now too. The fun of exploration and discovery. Lol
It's real great to enter a station a say like "wowhooo! Wtf is that!? Cool!" ...then it's about figuring it all out. That very valuable.

I noticed that CE is not a game that has only "front,reverse, left and right" and proper tutorial would have to be a whole game for itself. Probably the way it is is a good way...a way to inspire new players to use brain.

I like the option that you can actually put back your skills! That's very good, I didn't use it yet, but I like it very much, cause it relaxes me to just play away...without that feeling: "omg, omg...I'm messing up" lol.
I probably am messing up...lol! Thats ok!

Nice game :)
A tutor program would need to be wanted from both sides. The newbie, and the veteran. I guess, if the vet brings the newbie to lvl 20 then he/she should get a reward...and if the newbie manages to reach 20...well then he already has his reward, a good game. Lol
Not even sure if material support would actually be needed. More like a "buddy" you can ask. Like a "ask a buddy" link. In one of those many games of my past there was a direct link to a "questions" forum. Vets that were online at the moment would answer questions from new players around the clock. It was a little like a chat, but it wasn't a chat...it was a place to ask questions. And those that logged in there where either there to answer a question, or to ask a question. Sounds like a chat...but it wasn't, psychologically. It was just, question after question. Reading the log of the forum was like reading the FAQ over and over again.

Yeah just suggestions. :)...but honestly it's cool! All cool!

If you have 4 directions in a normal game, well then you got 36 directions in CE. WOW! Very cool. I think the higher the amount of choices, and the more facets a situation can be made of...the closer a virtual reality can reach reality. Our reality is so complex...we can not choose only from 4 directions, or either only from 36 directions...nope, in our real life reality we can choose from endless directions.
But that's more like...make a coffee or go to the toilet, or have a coffee while making a coffee in the toilet...lol.
but NOT fly a spaceship! :)) ...so yeah, lots of choices is real cool! Nice. :)

Honestly, even if there was a tutor or a helping program...I would try not to use it....or...really only as little as possible. Haha. Well. Lol
Golden Ribblez spotted studying helioseismology, with defrosted Fish Tacos eating Hilton, on Messor.