Melee weapon for CQC

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Jager 602
CE Official Supporter

Melee weapon for CQC

Post by Jager 602 »

This being the first time I was ever truly, truly out of ammo while derelict exploring, I never realized just how hard it was to punch some (maybe most) of my enemies to death. I'm not even upset at not being able to take on multiple opponents, I just hate whiffing so bad on even the weak individual ones. The basic SideArm does 8 to 15 points of damage; what if we had a melee weapon That did 6 or 7 to 12, even just slightly better than the 5 to 10 that we would do unarmed. Basically just something to equip when we were out of ammo so that we could do a little bit better than punching damage. It would Still be weaker than any of the side arms, but better than not having a weapon in the first place. I'm not sure how workable this is, but I don't think we wouldn't even need to use new modules are schematics or anything to build one. We could throw together an R1 energy pack, a data module and a piece of structural loot or something and It would only add one schematic perhaps?
A plaque on both your horses.
XPLODE

Re: Melee weapon for CQC

Post by XPLODE »

This was already suggested before and before that even broseph.

You can still punch enemies though.
Jager 602
CE Official Supporter

Post by Jager 602 »

I know- I just want to punch them harder :) And we could make it multipurpose- perhaps a boarding tool that adds a few percent to the player's skill checks. Or adds a bonus without adding damage. If it adds a tool bonus it will always be useful...

I would vote for both, simply because a specialty tool could be designed with surviving combat in mind.
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

Not sure how much $$$ income goes from ammo... on the other hand You can make such knife/saber/bayonet useable too. sharp is 10-20, and gradually declining to 4-8... or useable sharpening tool...
Akkamaddi
CE Official Supporter

Post by Akkamaddi »

An "electro-batton" (space cattle prod) type weapon?
Replace ammo clips with charge canisters. Players make charge canisters with, say, 50-100 charges, but the good 200 and 400 charge canisters are CE purchases.
The base damage of the models is a bit lower than pistols. There is a 5% to hit bonus. The max damage for "unarmed" (when the charges expire) doubles, but not the minimum damage. It takes an extra whack or two, but you whack more consistently. If the charge clip dies, you can still take on cat burglars and... mug pizza delivery guys? If you keep the minimum damage same as unarmed, it is good in a pinch, but not always reliable. The pistol would still be better for a fast kill. A baton with a hit bonus would cause fewer "I missed the cosplay nerd FIVE TIMES!!!" nerd-rages, and combat would be somewhat viable when your ammo runs out. And, the good ammo still supports the game.
Jager 602
CE Official Supporter

Post by Jager 602 »

I'm not looking to take anything away from the sidearms, just give an alternative that doesn't require ammo and is (somehow) better than punching. As it stands, until I can find parts/buy ammo, I'm lugging around a needler that doesn't do anything. Character imagining-wise, I think it would make sense (and be cooler) if, instead of having an empty sidearm or simply an empty slot, we could equip something that would wouldn't require ammo and would still provide something functional. Leave it less damaging than the sidearms, but provide a few (3-5% maybe) percentage tool bonus for those determined to soldier on and keep exploring.

You could have both, though if anything requires charges/ammo, I would hope it would be easier to come by than parts for ammo are for me now.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

This is mostly my own fault, the option to add more weapons is coded and ready it just needs me to actually come up with them, how they get into game and allow fitting. So yes I do intend to add more but I've spent months now working on the next major phase of CE and not had mch time to go back over my 'To do list'.

Once i have the next major release done I will be going back over all my main 'to do' items of which there are many sections fo the game that need revisiting from their initial release.

So fear not these types of things will come to those who wait :)

But by all means in the mean time suggest names, items and how they might get in game, (engineered) NPC missions etc...

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Akkamaddi
CE Official Supporter

Post by Akkamaddi »

Coops wrote: how they might get in game, (engineered) NPC missions etc...
And the grand introduction of "The Cult of the People who like Punching People"!
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

Post by Sukayo »

hm, so in the next 2 years or so ...

Names:
Butter knife
Entana slicer
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

Coops wrote: But by all means in the mean time suggest names, items and how they might get in game, (engineered) NPC missions etc...
Coops
looks almost like Competition(s)?